Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Owen's wild food adventures page 9

Owen is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    It's a good idea to start with a teacher. One of our friends is a mycologist and I took his field class. Still I only stick to the mushrooms I can confidently identify and have no harmful look-alikes.
    Do you have any experience of the hallucinogenic ones? Are they particularly common?

My newly formed Foraging and Wild edibles group had it's first meeting today. Morning coffee and walk on Malvern Hills - Worcestershire Foraging and Wild Edibles (Worcester, England) - Meetup

It was a success!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Owen, sorry I missed your previous post. I do have experience with hallucinogenic mushrooms but not ones that I've foraged myself. My mycologist friend forages for some but I personally would not. My experimental drug use is now a thing of the past. The only hallucinogenic mushroom that I can positively identify is amanita muscaria (big red mushroom with white spots) and it's considered toxic.

Congratulation on your meetup!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Setting up a mushroom foraging event for my group later this year hopefully. I've decided to get a teacher in for obvious reasons!

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Have you checked for mulberries yet? In my area (Washington DC), mulberries usually ripen in late May. According to this: Growing apple trees and other fruit trees in the UK climate , the UK is a bit warmer than the DC area. If you're warmer and if you've had a mild winter, the first mulberries might be close to ripening.

My area had a late winter, so I'm expecting the mulberries to be a month late here. There is a mulberry tree way in the back yard and it barely has its leaves.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    The place is now a haven for butterflies, and to my amazement in the UK, hummingbirds. At first I thought they were big bees.
    Could it have been this

BBC Nature - Hummingbird hawk-moth videos, news and facts

I saw some on the fuchsia bushes and was AMAZED! I also thought they were humming birds, but was told not, they were a form of moth.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Love this thread! I use jack-by-the-hedge, ramsons, nettle, ground elder (quite a strong taste) and have grown some purslane, which I didn't like but added to soups is OK. Lots of wild fruits. I made rowan jelly a few years ago but it was vile! Very bitter...

Owen, have you seen the you tube series of the hedge chef, Alan Cree? Well worth watching.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789