Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junk food pressure? page

Kj94 is offline Junior Member

Junk food pressure?

Primal Fuel
    I'm still new to the primal diet and well today failed. I did good at first, until I met up with a friend for the movies. I tried so hard to not give in but next thing I know I'm eating pretzel bites with cheese and then to Starbucks for a smoothie and a huge cookie. By the way, yes I feel like total crap both physically speaking and morally lol. So how do you all deal with situations like this? And how do you NOT bing after doing something like this?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    There is a saying "failing to plan is planning to fail." If you don't have a plan going into it for what you are going to do, you will probably do what you used to do. And a movie plus going out is a long time, so you were probably going to have needed to plan to eat something, so not having anything to eat pretty much guarantees things going off track.

Not binging is sort of the same thing- what is the plan? You can't NOT do something... you exist, you DO things. So what is it that you WILL DO?
    “In God we trust; all others must bring data.” W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The verb "to try" carries with it understanding of the likelihood of failure. "I will try" and "I will do" mean quite different things. Attempting to do something through force of willpower alone leads to eventual failure. Motivation must come from within.

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    There is a saying "failing to plan is planning to fail." If you don't have a plan going into it for what you are going to do, you will probably do what you used to do. And a movie plus going out is a long time, so you were probably going to have needed to plan to eat something, so not having anything to eat pretty much guarantees things going off track.

Not binging is sort of the same thing- what is the plan? You can't NOT do something... you exist, you DO things. So what is it that you WILL DO?
    Good stuff, LC. I agree, planning not to indulge and taking primal snacks along really helps.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i know myself well enough that to something like that I'd take my own snacks. I know where I'm likely to fall off the path so never set myself up to fail. I have to be 'my own best friend' and this best friend keeps appropriate nibbles available for me
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    How do I deal with stuff. Well, for most of my life I've been "that bitch." I do what I want (mostly within the law), and screw anyone who doesn't think it's okay.

There was a short time after attaining my accounting degree when I tried to "fit in." I cut my hair, wore silk blouses, wore suits. It just doesn't work for me. The status quo is a place of ignorance, mediocrity, and stupidity.

So, for anyone, whether a loved one or a mere acquaintance, I pretty much just say, "Leave me alone." I don't hassle you for eating popcorn and candy, so STFU if I decline.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a fat hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    First off, don't flagellate yourself. Don't hate yourself for a lapse in judgment. It's a little bit of food and isn't going to hurt at all in the long run. Just view it as a carb reload and work out extra hard the next day
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    I am at an advantage as I was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and can't eat most junk food. I went to the movies the other day and brought these awesome snacking cucumbers from Trader Joe's and bought an Americano at Starbucks afterwards. I don't know if you can get in the mentality of "this is not food for me, this is not for eating" without a diagnosis, but it has totally changed my life. It is very liberating, as long as you think in terms of "can't" rather than "shouldn't"

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Understand that a cookie and a smoothie are not going to make a difference in the big picture. Don't beat yourself up.

Something that helps is being a bit more flexible from the beginning. Some people like to do a planned cheat day or a refeed, and some like to allow themselves a treat every day. Don't stress about it though, and don't make your diet an obsession.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    "i don't eat that anymore."

i got popcorn at the movies all my life, whether i was hungry or not. mindless eating of the worst sort.

eat before you go. even a long movie is only a couple of hours -- a meal should tide you over for at least 5-6 hours so you're not thinking about cookies or junk. make plans to go out to eat before or after. what you spent on pretzels and at starbucks could buy you a nice salad someplace and you'd still be spending time with your friend.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast