Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Body Fat Results - last 10 pounds seem to be finally coming off page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

Latest Body Fat Results - last 10 pounds seem to be finally coming off

Shop Now
    So here is a history of my body fat tests, done with the dunk tank by www.bodyfattest.com which is considered the "gold standard" for body fat testing.

Date Weight Lean Mass Fat Mass Body Fat % Notes Picture
    7/11/2013 165.4 136.7 28.7 17.3% lowered fat, upped carbs Picture
    3/14/2013 174.5 139.35 35.15 20.1% Started lower calories
    7/18/2012 177 139.15 37.85 21.4% upped fat, BPC etc. Picture
    3/13/2012 178 141.05 36.95 20.8% Winter of tons of food Picture
    11/08/2011 165 133.05 31.95 19.4% paleo low carb Picture
    07/12/2011 165 133.05 31.95 19.3% paleo low carb Picture
    11/16/2010 165 132.35 32.65 19.8% started CrossFit Picture

So see http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread5478.html for backstory, but the tests above started just after I started CrossFit in 2010 and had just lost over 120 pounds. I started a low carb / low calorie diet in early 2009 and switched to paleo low carb in 2010.

As you can see, my weight stayed pretty steady at 165 for about 2 years. Then in December of 2012 I went on a dried fruit binge, along with paleo treats like bacon wrapped dates, almond flour cookies, etc. So it was a month of high fat, high sugar and I put on 10 pounds literally in one month. But no worries, I can take that off easy, right? And the good news was with all the CrossFit I was doing I had put on almost 10 pounds of muscle.

Well, doing the regular low carb paleo that had worked so well to get weight off before didn't really work anymore to drop below the 175 mark. Low carb, high fat seemed to work OK to maintain at 20% body fat but wasn't going to get me below that. I was intermittent fasting at this point and trying stuff like BulletProof Coffee, which I found was counterproductive and I started putting on weight with it. I actually got up to 185 or so right after new years.

So around March I decided to try something a bit different. I started doing carb cycling. I work out Tues/Thurs/Sunday mornings. Now Keifer suggests working out in the early evening THEN back loading, but since my schedule doesn't allow for that I opted for back loading the night before working out. This consisted of a meal of sweet potatoes and 8 oz lean grassfed steak (smaller size than I'd been getting). Non carb nights I'd typically have fish and a green veggie like chard or kale but started to cook in beef broth and much less coconut oil rather than the generous amounts I'd been using. No more BulletProof Coffee. No nuts. No cheese. Post WoD lunches were beef stew with onions and peppers and non WoD lunches went from eggs, sardines and avocados to just the eggs. Sushi night on Saturday started to include a bowl of rice.

So as you can see, my body fat and weight has dropped considerably. I'm down to the lowest body fat % since starting the tests. My only concern here is that I've also lost a few pounds of muscle. I think I'm going to continue what I've been doing and add whey protein post WoD. My goal is abs by burning man!

So yeah, that's where I'm at right now. I'm gonna keep at the moderate protein, lower fat, carb cycling to see if I can get the body fat percentage low enough to not feel so flabby still.

Comments, suggestions?
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

stewie97 is offline Member
    Kestrel...you have done an incredible job transforming yourself!

WaylandC is offline Senior Member
    It's possible to have lost muscle depending on how much of a deficit you were working with based on your daily needs. A more important question is: have you lost strength? This is a better gauge for muscle loss.

With Burning Man being about 4 weeks away, the most you'll probably want to drop is 1 pound a week which generally means a 500 calorie deficit from maintenance. Resistance training helps minimize muscle loss and at that rate you'll drop to about 15% BF if you have maintained lean mass during the cut.

In those four weeks you can also focus a bit more resistance training on your trunk (abs, obliques, etc.) via planks, knee raises, leg raises, leg raises (feet to bar) and so on. Building that up will help them be more visible.

Are you doing any HIIT or addtional cardio? Walking an incline for about 15 minutes is good enough for cardio post-workout.

If the 500 cal deficit turns out to be too much and you stall use a 250 cal deficit until you reach your goal. It'll be slow progress but it will be steady and it will still be progress. This is what Martin Berkhan suggests especially when you start getting to the lower BF%s.

Other than that, I would continue with everything else.

Counting calories isn't fun but it's also not impossible and tracking your numbers (in the gym and out) will give you a greater grasp on your progress.

Tell me what you think.

SLB0404 is offline Junior Member
    Awesome progress and documentation!
    I don't have anything to add unfortunately, everyone's body is so different and you seem to have found a method(s) that works for you!
    Just wanted to say great job x

Quote Originally Posted by WaylandC View Post
    It's possible to have lost muscle depending on how much of a deficit you were working with based on your daily needs. A more important question is: have you lost strength? This is a better gauge for muscle loss.
    I redid the table with a couple of lift metrics if that gives you some idea.

Date Weight Lean Mass Fat Mass Body Fat % Bench Press Deadlift
    7/11/2013 165.4 136.7 28.7 17.3% 5@122 5@285
    3/14/2013 174.5 139.35 35.15 20.1% 5@115 5@265
    7/18/2012 177 139.15 37.85 21.4% 5@115 5@260
    3/13/2012 178 141.05 36.95 20.8% 5@105 5@185
    11/08/2011 165 133.05 31.95 19.4% 5@95 5@170
    07/12/2011 165 133.05 31.95 19.3% 5@90 5@120
    11/16/2010 165 132.35 32.65 19.8% 5@55 5@88
    Last edited by KestrelSF; 08-05-2013 at 08:05 AM.

I'd like to see a higher bench press weight but that will come with time. One thing that helped me increase my lifts was 5x5 with at least 1 minute of rest between sets. 2 minutes is probably better. (More time recovering = more effort that can be applied to the next set.)

To push my progress I added 5 lbs to each set. Next week's first set would be 5 lbs heavier. Also, when I had access to a gym to perform heavy deadlifts, they were always the first exercise in the first workout of the week. I did them only once each week and saw steady progression over a ~12 week period.

For now, continue what you're doing because you're making progress. Improving body comp isn't just about losing body fat, it's also about adding lean mass (bone density, muscle and water in the muscles). I guess you could try losing 2 lbs a week but you'd need to create a 1000 calorie deficit every day through diet and exercise. It's tough but it's possible and you'd be down to about 13% BF assuming no change in lean mass.

stewie97 is offline Member
    Kestrel, how wide are your hands on the bar during your presses? I found out I was going much too wide with mine...narrowed it up a bit and not only did i add some with but they felt much much better on my elbows and shoulders.

Yes, I know my bench numbers are pretty low. I do attribute some of it to having stronger legs from carrying around > 300 pounds for so long. That and I had an AC separation on my left shoulder in 2008 so that may effect how much I can bench.

I did manage to dip below 160 last week, then there was cheese in front of me last Saturday after I hadn't eaten that day from being pretty busy. I'm at 163 this week. Yes, one bout with something like cheese seems to set me back a few pounds.

If it wasn't a lot of cheese then maybe you are sensitive to dairy (inflammation) or it had a lot of sodium (water retention). Either way, go more by how you look and feel over the next few weeks.

Paleobird Guest
    I've been experimenting with leaving the dairy out too. I got the last ten of but let them creep back on and I think cheese was a culprit there. It is just too easy to overeat. It's what the Whole9 folks refer to as food with no brakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast