Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dodging my way to health page

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member

Dodging my way to health

A new journal for a new phase in my life.
    In a nutshell - I started Primal on April 18th 2013 in an attempt to halt an aggressive gynecological cancer. This was a three pronged attack utilizing nutritional Ketosis;
    1, 1 weighed 242lbs- being overweight gives cancer a leg up, decreasing body weight as quickly as possible while remaining as nutritionally complete as possible was goal 1
    2, i am diabetic but was very poorly controlled, high blood glucose is an 'all you can eat buffet' for cancer. i attempted to control my BG using a primal variation of the Newcastle University diet ( Reversing Type 2 Diabetes - Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre - Newcastle University ). Reducing my fasting BG, postprandial BG and HbA1c to normal levels as quickly as possible was goal 2
    3, some cancers, mine included, grow very well in normal nutrition(just like our own cells) but find it hard to obtain enough energy in a ketogenic environment whereas the bodies own cells grow just as well. Starving the mutant cells out is goal 3.

where am i now-
    Goal 1 achieved - i have lost 100lb+ and am in my normal BMI range.
    Goal 2 achieved - fasting around 5.5. postprandial <8, HbA1c 7.5 and i now take no medication other than the occasional metformin if i eat too many carbs!
    Goal 3 ongoing - no growth at 4 months post surgery.

what else have i achieved through this
    1) my last cholesterol test result (Monday) was excellent
    total 4.4 mmol/L (171mg/dL)
    HDL 2.0 mmol/L (80mg/dL)
    LDL 1.8 mmol/L (71mg/dL)
    Trigs 1.1 mmol/L(100mg/dL)
    Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 2.14
    HDL/LDL ratio is: 1.127
    triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.250
    2) i was hypertensive but blood pressure was well controlled on 3 medications. last week after feeling off colour BP was found to be low (65/55 mmHg) so I'm now off all medication and its stabilized nicely around 115/75.
    3) I used to have dreadful hard skin on my heels- this has just vanished. i have no idea why but its great to retire the foot file!.

It was my 51st birthday yesterday. My plan for this year is to stick with nutritional ketosis, stay positive and continue to increase my fitness
    Today was went on an early morning mixed terrain hike. We started the trail just as dawn was breaking. Our dog discovered some badgers, probably on their way home. We saw 3- 1 big and 2 smaller, possibly 2 part grown cubs but I didn't have my camera only the one on my phone which showed nothing-so i am a bit miffed.
    I had a new tent off my husband for my birthday which we are trying out next weekend. Its a big, tall one,so we can stand up and spread out, very posh with a footprint, carpet and porch. We are going to the lake district and cant hardly wait

new goals
    Goal 1 - maintain weight around this level although I might drop a few more lbs
    Goal 2 -maintain fasting BG around 5.5. postprandial <8, HbA1c 7.5
    Goal 3 ongoing - maintain nutritional ketosis although my aim now is 2
    Goal 4- increase physical fitness- more hiking, walking, PBF, i can swim from September if the exam in September remains clear and am hopeful about that.
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-27-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

dev
    dev is offline Junior Member
    WOW! inspiring to see your goals achieved - congratulations! also, truly happy for you about your health improvements, way to go!

joapple is offline Member
    Most excellent news!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Brilliant! I am very impressed with your commitment to your health.

And as a fellow ketogenic eater, I really enjoy your posts.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    First, yay! on you starting a journal. I always read your posts.

Second, you've lost 100+ pounds since April of this year? Holy shit - that's freakin' unreal! And it's a testament to how eating like "they" tell us to is a sure road to an early death.

I look forward to your journal.

Peace.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

was thinking about exercise today and where to go next.
    currently i walk 8 miles a day minimum everyday. it isn't feasible to add in much more on a consistent daily basis.
    my legs look great and sometimes when i'm sitting at night i watch the muscles. I know theyve always been their but they look so different now they aren't covered in fat and i find myself fascinated by them.
    In September I'm hoping to be able to swim and if so i intend to add a swim in each morning on my way to work. my local pool opens just in time for me to have an hour. id like to get the muscles in my arms,shoulders and back into a condition similar to those in my legs. Ive seen a swim-dress i like, black with polka-dots! so might order it, but i might order red...
    today I'm going shopping for bits for the new tent. our camping stuff before was all ultra light for carrying but now we will be stationary i feel like a bit of luxury.
    I've found an 80/20 protein/carb grain free dry food for the dog and the sample arrived yesterday. she certainly enjoyed it -picking the new kibbles first. I'll order a bag today and we will see how she goes. I'm also ordering her some boots
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

Ariana30 is offline Senior Member
    Congrads on reaching your goal in a healthy and excellent way. Have fun camping too. Don't forget your bear spray

Quote Originally Posted by Ariana30 View Post
    Congrads on reaching your goal in a healthy and excellent way. Have fun camping too. Don't forget your bear spray
    Ha, bear free Britain, no dangerous wildlife here other than adders, wasps and tics!

a few more camping luxuries purchased today
    today i've been thinking about a link canuck416 Environmental Toxins: A Hidden Factor in the Obesity Epidemic
    posted on the Carbohydrate Requirements - How much do you need? page

i wonder if this is part of the reason for the fast weight loss i experienced, i know 800 cals is low but the weight loss was consistently around 1lb a day without any stalls. it certainly makes one think more deeply
    i have gone back on a little dairy but am now buying unhomogenized organic whole milk -i cant find raw. the boobs will go if they are meant too i guess.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just saw your other post. Holy cow that is amazing!

I see you are walking, that might help answer one of the questions I had, which is how are things holding up, like loose skin etc.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast