Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodging my way to health page 3

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    800 calories.... I would have days of 800 - 1000, when I was fasting alot, and low carbing. Also days of tators would come in around 800. Did you ever do refeeds? What all did you eat? Sorry if already answered. I scanned but didnt see it.

Thanks again for sharing your story.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    800 calories from
    100g protein from meat,fish, eggs,offal
    50g carbs from veg and 1 portion of fruit
    any calories remaining were from fats
    i ate a lot of fish, (salmon,tuna,cod) eggs, chicken (breasts,wings),lamb(chops,fillet,patties) beef,(steak,stewing,patties) bacon and homemade sausage, liver once a week
    fruits were apricots, peaches, nectarines, cherries, raspberries and blackberries
    i rarely ate potato but did eat carrots, swede(rutabaga) turnip and parsnip
    other veg as i fancied it,
    i never needed a refeed but did eat baked beans once due to a craving and icecream once for the same reason
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

the weekend camping trip was great apart from a minor fault on the tent which led to a drive to the village and a prowl round the shops to find a needle and thread. took the tent back today and exchanged if for the next size up-the dog took up a surprising amount of room!
    lovely place
    got in some long walks and one long hike.
    hike destination-barn
    walked to the lake morning and evening each day for the dogs pleasure and ours.
    nicely tired after

we are off somewhere else this weekend
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

geckotreefrog is offline Member
    I am So inspired by you!! Thanks for responding to my post abt my diabetic husband who also needs to lose weight & rediscover his past athleticism. Adding the swimming will be great for you. (I was in the best shape of my life when swimming and lifting weights, back when you just didn't see women lift more than little 1-2 pound weights). Swimming gives such great muscular definition & flexibility. I would do freestyle, sidestroke & backstroke. My husband & I took a swimming class, & for the final exam, Had to choose favorite stroke & swim a mile. I chose backstroke (Who knew?), had doubts, but finished that mile before many of the guys in the class. (Was not a competition at all, but I surprised myself). Build up gradually, just like your walking. Go for the swim dress that inspires you, maybe both! Fortune favors the bold, & red is so energizing. (Obvious bias here)! Camping is wonderful, & such a great way to get that nature connection. Have fun!

Beautiful place! Of course murphy's law seems to show up during most camping trips. Definitely part of the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by geckotreefrog View Post
    I am So inspired by you!! Thanks for responding to my post abt my diabetic husband who also needs to lose weight & rediscover his past athleticism. Adding the swimming will be great for you. (I was in the best shape of my life when swimming and lifting weights, back when you just didn't see women lift more than little 1-2 pound weights). Swimming gives such great muscular definition & flexibility. I would do freestyle, sidestroke & backstroke. My husband & I took a swimming class, & for the final exam, Had to choose favorite stroke & swim a mile. I chose backstroke (Who knew?), had doubts, but finished that mile before many of the guys in the class. (Was not a competition at all, but I surprised myself). Build up gradually, just like your walking. Go for the swim dress that inspires you, maybe both! Fortune favors the bold, & red is so energizing. (Obvious bias here)! Camping is wonderful, & such a great way to get that nature connection. Have fun!
    i sympathize with your hubby-diabetics aren't given great advice unfortunately but this last 5 months have brought a profound change to my life and i feel better now than i did in my 30s.

Excellent article on environmental toxins. Some of my favorite books on the topic are "The Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan. "Green You" by Deirdre Imus. Also, many books by Mark Hyman, M.D. (He is a Functional Medicine doctor, knows what he's talking about, but does push his own supplements a bit shamelessly. You can find a lot of good info. on environmental toxins & how to deal w/ them on his website: drhyman.com For example, this pdf: drhyman.com/downloads/diabetes-and-toxins.pdf

About the boobs going, yes, part of the process. I breast fed for a cumulative 23 months, & not much was left but empty skin. So, I decided to try to restore my pre-pregnant size & shape with breast augmentation ~ 5 years ago. Though they look much better, here is what I learned & will apply to a future re-do: I'll get a lift, which will mean having a vertical scar from the areola on down. But, with time & vitamin e applied, scars are minimized. I will also have a saline implant placed between the pectoral muscle rather than over it. (People often say Under the muscle, but the options are between or over the muscle). Between the muscle means more support & less future sag possibility. I still don't trust silicone. BTY, I'm not saying you should have breast work done; Just sharing my experience in case you go that route.

Your photo in the water is just beautiful. You should feel great about yourself, on every level!

CarbDodger, I didn't realize that you were recovering from cancer. Way to go on taking control of your health. You are an absolute inspiration! Your goals are attainable, and I bet that September exam will show you remain clear. I will check out the Newcastle Univ. diet you referenced.

Any nature connection is helpful on so many levels, & we like to hike on mixed terrain too. I was diagnosed w/ permanent nerve damage in both hands ~ 7 years ago (I'm 53 now), & the pain was nearly unbearable. With exercise & nutrition focused on healing nerves, the damage feels minimal now & I can be off pain meds almost all of the time. My doctor said it wasn't possible, so this is another case of doctors not knowing everything. I hope to be able to join my Husband on mountain bike rides again. Once, we saw a huge cat in shadow (probably a cougar) near a trail & went back with a mold casting kit for the paw prints + took photos of the prints with a quarter by them. Quite the adventure! More recently, my Husband saw an armadillo with babies following it. Would love to see a badger, but they're not in our area (~ Dallas, Texas). So glad you are doing a journal. Will be helpful to you and so many others!

the boobs seem to be where 20% of my 25% body fat are, I'm like an old, brunette barbie
    we dont have any big animals in the uk now-a badger is as wild as we get!
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 08-21-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Mitch is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations, inspiring. For exercise I assume you do some type of strength/weight resistance?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast