Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunbutter! page

billman89 is offline Member

So I just bought some Sunflower Butter today...wow. If anyone misses the taste of peanut butter, this one sure hits the spot and I dare say it's much better. Since going primal I haven't really missed peanut butter much, I was always more of a raw almond butter guy... but sometimes PB hit the spot. So today I came across the Sunbutter and woow.

Nutritionally its better as well, with more fiber, vitamins and minerals. I'm not sure about the Omega 3 content but I think sunflower seeds have a better ratio? Don't quote me on that. I'm sure someone here knows.

Anyway, it's really tasty stuff. It does have evaporated cane juice in it, 3g of sugar per serving and its pretty sweet (maybe a bit too sweet), but most nut butters range around 2g of sugars anyway. Anyone else ever tried this stuff?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I made some last week or so, and it's fantastic! It's really, really good on apples. I've never had the store bought kind.

I just buy the roasted/salted seeds (only $2.00/lb in bulk) and throw them in the food processor with some olive oil.

Ecala is offline Junior Member

I thought sunflower butter was high in PUFA?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

I don't know, but it tastes good.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

Yes, it's high in Omega 6's, but it is soooooooooo good. I buy Sunflower with omegas which has whole flex seeds in it so it's kind of crunchy.

Back when I was younger and lived in Ukraine, we used to eat this treat which was basically crushed sunflower seeds and honey and it tasted very much like plain sunflower butter. Takes me back

It also tastes a lot like Halva only without all the extra sugar. Delish!

grandma is offline Member

There is a sunflower oil known as HO Sunflower (High Oleic) which has a better PUFA profile --- do they make butter like this? I don't know if it is made by changing the oil or from a different type of seed.

Anyone know?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

jdl409 Guest

My thoughts exactly!! I was eating almond butter for a while, but let's face it, it tastes nothing like peanut butter. Just tried the Trader Joe's sunflower butter and it's amazing. I are the whole stinking jar in a week.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

High Oleic sunflower oil was designed for higher frying temperatures and a better Omega ratio. I've used it, but it seems to go rancid as fast as any other vegetable/seed oil. YMMV.

Peanuts have a much better lipid profile: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/legumes-and-legume-products/4448/2

Sunflower butter: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/n...roducts/3080/2 And it's pretty inflammatory, too.

So, pick your poison...... Yeah, I'm back to occasional tbls of peanut butter. At least I've ditched the Jif and I"m using "natural."

grandma is offline Member

peanut get the axed by Mark due to lectin content. I don't know too much about lectins and I can't seem to find any nutrition data on it.

Can anyone help?

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

grandma, I KNOW you know how to do internet searchs. There's tons on lectins, I've been researching them the last few days. Start at wikipedia.

They seem to be responsible for a host of low level problems that often lead to high level ones. In a (pea?)nut shell, they are proteins that sort of open a cellular door and if they don't start trashing the place themselves, other proteins often follow.

Like so many nutritional items, it seems some people probably never even suffer the vague symptoms. Others, not so much, lots of immediate problems. YMMV.

Personally, I am not going to give up all lectin containing foods. For me, peanuts and beans. But I will be consuming them at perhaps only 5% of the rate I used to. Hey, that's even better than his 80/20 rule!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast