Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBF reps too high page

Drmike is offline Member

PBF reps too high

Primal Fuel
    Does anyone else feel like the reps are too high for Marks PBF. Who does 50 reps of any exercise. I can't see how that would build any muscle

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    It will build endurance, and if you are not getting any exercise at all now, it will build some muscle. But if it's hypertrophy or strength that is your goal, go with a weight training program like Starting Strength.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I got tired of it really quickly. But it's a start for some people. The good thing is there are many alternatives.

A lot of people don't have access to weights etc. I suggest if you don't that as you progress on the PB strength that you look into someone like Al Kavadlo who has additional bodyweight exercises.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    for someone like me - never exercised with no intention of joining a gym it was a great start to build up to so i suppose it depends where you start, how quickly you progress and where you want to progress to
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike View Post
    Does anyone else feel like the reps are too high for Marks PBF. Who does 50 reps of any exercise. I can't see how that would build any muscle
    No one is forcing you to stay in a specific rep range. If you don't like it, don't do it. Pretty self explanatory.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    if you like calisthenics but want it to be more difficult, just add a weight vest. they're expensive, but make any bodyweight exercise more challenging. try doing 50 push ups with 40 pounds in the weight vest. or do more difficult versions, such as fingertip or one armed push ups.

Chris is offline Junior Member
    Regarding high rep work, check out this impressive 60 year old. Does 700 push-ups 5 days a week plus dips, chins, etc. Very inspirng!

Very Fit 60 Year Old - YouTube

Jiggyz is offline Junior Member
    I think the 50 reps is just to ensure you have the request strength/endurance before moving on up to the next level.

I feel your pain, after a year I still can't do 50 push ups. I got so frustrated that moved up to declines and they were no problem, so now am back on regular old pushups.

With proper teqnique and good form all those exercises will get you gassed and pretty strong, at tleast in my case they did.

kansas-klx is offline Member
    I don't use a hard reps per set goal, anymore. Nowadays I just go for however many I feel like doing at the time with good form. That's plenty good enough for me and doesn't really seem to sacrifice development too much.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    It depends on what your goals are. I'll do sets of 50 pushups when I'm trying to get my numbers up, aiming for a comfortable 75 in two minutes. If I'm trying to build strength, I'm doing a handful of 1-arm pushups, or even negative 1-arms with my feet together.

Do them slowly and they suck even more, requiring a lot more tension and strength.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast