Thread: Travelling abroad page

Ryancarter1986 is offline Senior Member

Travelling abroad

Shop Now
    So I'm on my travels.
    Got some GI sol as I can't carry my usual probiotics due to heat and also have multi vitamins as I won't be eating as much good quality vegetables as usual.

But what foods should I avoid or help me with any travel stomach problems?

London UK

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    it would be helpful to know where you are traveling.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Tanzania then off to Zanzibar

London UK

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryancarter1986 View Post
    Tanzania then off to Zanzibar
    I was there for a month eating all local foods and never had a problem except one time in a tourist hotel that catered to Germans when I made the mistake of having the chicken schnitzel. Let's just say that schnitzel should stay in Germany where it belongs.

The local produce there is amazing. The volcanic soil is so rich. It feels like things are just bursting with vitamins and minerals. Everything there is organic. Why use chemical fertilizer when things just grow so easily? You basically toss some seeds on the ground and they will grow.

The other cool thing is that what we consider "the good stuff" like meat and veg, there is dirt cheap. All the stuff they have to import like sodas and white bread are the expensive things.

Be sure to get a spice plantation tour when you are in Zanzibar.

Have fun!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    pb, were there potable water issues there? both are pretty cosmopolitan places with plenty of international travelers.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    pb, were there potable water issues there? both are pretty cosmopolitan places with plenty of international travelers.
    A lot of the time I was out "in the bush" either on safari or climbing Kilimangaro so then we used bottled water. Halfway up Kili we had to change to using iodine tablets. Blech.

So, I wasn't really in cities with munisciple water supplies much.

I have one of those cast iron stomachs when it comes to such things so I might not be a good indicator either. I drink the water in Mexico without a problem.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    Avoid dairy. The dairy out there may be free-ranged, but if you suffer from stomach ailments I would bypass them. Also, maybe consider avoiding undercooked meats as they may not practice sanitary measures? Of course I have never been to these places so I could just be stereotyping.

Paleobird Guest
    The dairy I had in tanzania was awesome. Masaai cattle butter mixed with the local honey that is the color of molasses. Oh yumm.

The undercooked meats part was I think the problem with the darn chicken schnitzel but that was at a big tourist hotel in town. That could happen anywhere in the world.

Thanks guys. Yes basically keeping to cooked meat n veg . Trying not too much salads as u never know how hotels clean them.
    Don't do dairy anyway.

The coffee over here is good stuff too

London UK