Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Salt? Really? page 3

Miguelinileugim is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocode View Post
    Your body requires a continuous, sufficient supply of electrolytes. A standard test for electrolytes includes (with standard ranges):
    SODIUM 135 - 145 mEq/L
    POTASSIUM 3.5 - 5.0 mEq/L
    CHLORIDE 101 - 111 mEq/L
    CO2 21 - 31 mEq/L

The processed packaged American food in a SAD diet almost always includes salt (sodium). Thus Americans get much more than enough salt in their diet, so much that over time the overload causes hypertension.

If you're eating PB you must have all (not just the above tested) the required electrolytes. Therefore, adding salt to all cooking water is a good idea. But that probably won't provide enough. Most vitamin/minerals and electrolyte supplements do not include salt, or enough salt, because suppliers expect that you are eating SAD.

Using a good, liquid electrolyte supplement and adding salt to your food, not in excessive amounts, will keep you healthy.
    More salt, got it

Ghshl is online now Senior Member
    I had a couple of episodes of feeling wooze and having visual disturbances after heavy workouts in hot environments. We had a slow start of summer, temperature wise, so when it suddenly got hot I guess I wasn't ready for it.

I found that a glass of water with some salt and lime/lemon juice added before the workout alleviated the problem.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Where did Grok get salt?
    People traveled long distances to natural salt deposits and salt water sources of salt.

IOW, I think it's a personal thing. For me, eating Chinese with soy sauce made my fingers swell the next morning, as did eating sushi, if soy sauce was present. Before primal, even the 100 calorie bags of microwave popcorn had that effect.
    I am not sensitive to salt, and I don't eat commercial soy sauce, but Chinese and Japanese food put water weight on me. I think it's something else in the food.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    Salt can be found in many places naturally. Seas, for example, with good sun and a shallow enough tidepool.

M.

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I definitely don't have this problem, I am a huge salt girl. Salt to me, tastes amazing on everything... But especially good on meats... Ground meats. I don't think I have ever heard of a person who doesn't like this white stuff. It's like my crack! LOL

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    If you don't eat any processed food then you need to add salt.

If you eat enough processed food then you don't need to add salt.

Note stuff like cheese, olives, some meats, canned tomatoes etc are processed with salt.
    The folks cooking your meals maybe adding some salt so you may get enough without realising.

Choose a good quality sea salt or rock salt etc.

No salt ( zero) for too long, then you'll end up in hospital - first thing they'll do is put you on a saline drip into your veins ( salt water).

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Side note, my mom used to buy "low sodium salt"??? Which is totally weird but as a result my brother and i are much more salt sensitive. I still salt liberally when cooking, during summer, and things like rice and potatoes, but I don't like nearly as much salt as some people.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Most of my salt comes from bacon and sauerkraut, and I add "lite" potassium chloride salt to most of my food for the potassium. Excessive chloride intake might be questionable, but sodium, potassium and other lytes all have good track records.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123