Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would like some attention here . . . page

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member

Would like some attention here . . .

Shop Now
    I ask a question about some coconut oil I just bought over on the thread about coconut oil and Alzheimers. I need to hear from someone before anyone gets away for the weekend. Obviously, it won't be me. I just spent 6.99 on LouAna pure coconut oil. Non-hydrogenated and . . . refined. I wondered why there was no taste or smell. Did I just blow the money, since it's refined? Is all the MCTs lost? Should I just use it up in salad dressing and then buy unrefined? It's 30 ounces, imagine how long that will take me. Please reply and comfort me or tell me I didn't waste the MCTs. I can't return it, it's been opened and used. Thanks for your pity.

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    It certainly isn't as nutritious, though I think the MCTs should be the same. I always have two jars of coconut oil going - one for eating, one for skin and hair. I would use the refined stuff for my skin and hair, for sure, and buy unrefined for eating.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Refined is tasteless and odorless and just as good as extra virgin. I use refined now, no longer have to endure the taste of coconut when I don't want it.

Here's a good article: Coconut Oil

BTW, $6.99 is an excellent price. I pay $11 for half that amount.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Thanks, I think I'm starting to feel better. 30 oz. is a long way to go and I want to start feeling "zippy" soon. However, I can use it to make salad dressing which eliminates bottles off the store shelf whose list of ingredients start with Soybean oil.

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

It certainly isn't as nutritious, though I think the MCTs should be the same. I always have two jars of coconut oil going - one for eating, one for skin and hair. I would use the refined stuff for my skin and hair, for sure, and buy unrefined for eating.
    Thanks, I think I'm starting to feel better. 30 oz. is a long way to go and I want to start feeling "zippy" soon. However, I can use it to make salad dressing which eliminates bottles off the store shelf whose list of ingredients start with Soybean oil. Sorry, forgot to include the quote in above reply.

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Refined is tasteless and odorless and just as good as extra virgin. I use refined now, no longer have to endure the taste of coconut when I don't want it.

Here's a good article: Coconut Oil

BTW, $6.99 is an excellent price. I pay $11 for half that amount.
    If it's just as good, is it just about the coconut flavor that everyone says get unrefined? I'm getting all the benefits right? Thanks.

This is for j3nn, sorry forgot to use quotes. I'm on the west coast (Calif.) I bought it at Ralph's which I think is Krogers farther east. Do you have one of those in NY?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    If it's just as good, is it just about the coconut flavor that everyone says get unrefined? I'm getting all the benefits right? Thanks.
    The refined typically loses some of its nutritive properties but still retains its MCT (medium chain fatty acids) values, which in my opinion, are the most important part. So you trade off some scant nutrients for a tasteless oil that still have the benefits of medium chain fatty acids, which is A-OK in my book.

Learn More
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    This is for j3nn, sorry forgot to use quotes. I'm on the west coast (Calif.) I bought it at Ralph's which I think is Krogers farther east. Do you have one of those in NY?
    No Ralph's or Kroger here in NY, but I shopped at Kroger when I lived in Georgia. I'm sure the jar you bought is fine! Enjoy cooking with it; refined is awesome for frying potatoes.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast