Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would like some attention here . . . page 3

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    while i like the flavor of coconut, i don't like everything i eat to taste like it, especially eggs. blech. so i use refined most of the time too.

gopintos, great info!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I use the refined CO for its higher smoking point. Great for frying. The non-refined has coconut flavor in it and I keep it for cakes and desserts the few times I bother making some.

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Sorry, your other thread slipped off the first page and got lost.

The difference between refined and unrefined as far as taste is, well, a matter of taste. I like the unrefined better because I like the taste of coconuts. Some people like j3nn don't. I think she's crazy but....JK. I don't really think the nutrition varies that much from one to the other. It is just about the taste/smell.

If you would like to get the most concentrated MCT benefits, you can buy the purified MCT oil. It stays liquid at room temp and is completely flavorless. I use this stuff sometimes: Amazon.com: NOW Foods Mct 100% Oil, 32-Fluid Ounces: Health & Personal Care
    Is this oil just to be taken as a supplement? Not cooking with it, right? How much do you take? It's more expensive but its a more direct route to where I'm going. My weight seems to be leveling off at 115 - 116 lbs. Up a pound one week and down the next. I figure its water. Clothes size doesn't seem to change. Eating and exercise are the same too. Maybe its where I'm supposed to be.
    Last edited by Rosemary 231; 07-27-2013 at 10:28 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosemary 231 View Post
    Is this oil just to be taken as a supplement? Not cooking with it, right? How much do you take? It's more expensive but its a more direct route to where I'm going. My weight seems to be leveling off at 115 - 116 lbs. Up a pound one week and down the next. I figure its water. Clothes size doesn't seem to change. Eating and exercise are the same too. Maybe its where I'm supposed to be.
    You could cook with it or use it as a supplement. Frankly, my jar of MCT oil mostly sits in the cupboard because I really like the taste of coconut in things and use the unrefined oil for cooking. MCT oil is a good way to get MCTs into people who don't like coconut or in things where C oil would be a problem because of the temperature. Say if you try to put C oil in a smoothie with cold ingredients, it will glop up and not blend evenly.

I am not sure how much greater the concentration of actual MCTs is in the C oil vs the MCT oil and I'm sure it would vary by brand. It's really about finding the most palatable way to get them into your palate.

I am not sure how much greater the concentration of actual MCTs is in the C oil vs the MCT oil and I'm sure it would vary by brand. It's really about finding the most palatable way to get them into your palate.
    What would you consider a fair daily dose of the coconut oil and the MCT oil? I had 2 TBLS of the coconut oil yesterday with no digestive or "bathroom" problems. Since the MCT oil is a greater concentration I would probably need less than the CO but until I use it up I want to take as much as needed but not waste it. Thanks, again.

Paleobird Guest
    You might find this book interesting.

Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats: Mary Enig, Sally Fallon: 9780452285668: Amazon.com: Books

As to exactly how much is right for you, only you can tell. Don't take so much that it causes intestinal upset obviously. You also still need to remember that C oil or MCT oil is not a magical substance with no calories. The amount you take shouldn't be so much as to displace too much of your other nutrient dense foods such as meat and vegetable.

You might find this book interesting.

Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats: Mary Enig, Sally Fallon: 9780452285668: Amazon.com: Books

As to exactly how much is right for you, only you can tell. Don't take so much that it causes intestinal upset obviously. You also still need to remember that C oil or MCT oil is not a magical substance with no calories. The amount you take shouldn't be so much as to displace too much of your other nutrient dense foods such as meat and vegetable.
    I agree. I think I mentioned that I thought I had leveled my weight off between 115 and 116. On my frame, 5'3"+, that's a size 4, in pants. I've held off buying any clothes, except just what's necessary, until I remain at one size. 120 lbs. was a size 6 for me. I seem to be doing fine, no digestive issues, at 2 TBLs a day, so I think I'll go for 3 and just see if that works. After all, that's 360 calories and I don't want to start to gain weight. Kind of a tough balancing act until everything settles down. I'm even hoping that the oil will have an effect of on night leg cramps and a huge bunch of lose skin. Thanks for the book info. Glad to see I can get it on Kindle.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    leg cramps at night are often because of an electrolyte imbalance. use more salt on your food, eat avocado or take a magnesium/potassium supplement.

if 5 pounds has meant a whole pants size for you, you've lost lots of bodyfat. well done!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    leg cramps at night are often because of an electrolyte imbalance. use more salt on your food, eat avocado or take a magnesium/potassium supplement.

if 5 pounds has meant a whole pants size for you, you've lost lots of bodyfat. well done!
    Thank you. My total weight loss is 130 lbs over about 26 months. As for the leg cramps, I've been doing the magnesium for years, started the potassium 3 or 4 months ago and been adding salt right up the point that it's too much and eat a half, at least, an avocado every day. I've even tried tucking a bar of soap under the sheet at the foot of my bed. I think the electrolyte idea is the best. I noticed the cramps increased as the weather got hotter.

Markbt is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could cook with it or use it as a supplement. Frankly, my jar of MCT oil mostly sits in the cupboard because I really like the taste of coconut in things and use the unrefined oil for cooking. MCT oil is a good way to get MCTs into people who don't like coconut or in things where C oil would be a problem because of the temperature. Say if you try to put C oil in a smoothie with cold ingredients, it will glop up and not blend evenly.

If you are looking at ways to get more MCTs, check out the Bulletproof Executive site. He invented bulletproof coffee (coffee with MCT oil and grass fed butter) and follows a low toxin, high fat ketogenic version of paleo. I'm sure he has lots of recommended ways to incorporate more fat and MCTs.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast