Thread: Where is the weight loss?? page

primalcraft is offline Junior Member

Where is the weight loss??

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So I have been trying IF for a couple of weeks now (2-9pm eating window), and other than the convenience of not having to cook the third meal I haven't seen any major differences. It is easier to eat less, which I am not sure is a good thing. I know most people on primal are all about NOT counting calories, but I have been in order to get an idea of my macros (plus a couple members of the family are doing calorie restriction so it is hard to avoid the temptation of calorie counting). I stay pretty much spot on with my macros at 60%/30%/10% (fat, protein, carbs) but I am not eating very much, less than 1300 cal/day (probably averaging around 1000 cal/day but I am almost never hungry). While I have been losing weight it doesn't seem to be coming off as fast as it is "supposed to" and it definitely isn't coming off consistently (one week I will be down 5 pounds then the next week I will gain 2, etc.). I am trying to follow PB Fitness, so I do sprints once a week (at least I attempt them) and two days of the PB Fitness pullup/pushup/plank/squat exercises and try to do some walking or other activities on the other days.

So anyway the question is what am I doing wrong? It seems to me that I am following all the "rules" and that the fat should just be melting away and yet it definitely seems like it isn't. So I am looking for any tips hints or suggestions. Also if anyone is knowledgeable about the whole carb re-feed thing that seems a bit complicated but if I understand it is supposed to help boost weight loss as well.

Any help is appreciated!

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    How are you going about measuring your food intake?
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

zoeamy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalcraft View Post
    So I have been trying IF for a couple of weeks now (2-9pm eating window), and other than the convenience of not having to cook the third meal I haven't seen any major differences. It is easier to eat less, which I am not sure is a good thing. I know most people on primal are all about NOT counting calories, but I have been in order to get an idea of my macros (plus a couple members of the family are doing calorie restriction so it is hard to avoid the temptation of calorie counting). I stay pretty much spot on with my macros at 60%/30%/10% (fat, protein, carbs) but I am not eating very much, less than 1300 cal/day (probably averaging around 1000 cal/day but I am almost never hungry). While I have been losing weight it doesn't seem to be coming off as fast as it is "supposed to" and it definitely isn't coming off consistently (one week I will be down 5 pounds then the next week I will gain 2, etc.). I am trying to follow PB Fitness, so I do sprints once a week (at least I attempt them) and two days of the PB Fitness pullup/pushup/plank/squat exercises and try to do some walking or other activities on the other days.

So anyway the question is what am I doing wrong? It seems to me that I am following all the "rules" and that the fat should just be melting away and yet it definitely seems like it isn't. So I am looking for any tips hints or suggestions. Also if anyone is knowledgeable about the whole carb re-feed thing that seems a bit complicated but if I understand it is supposed to help boost weight loss as well.

Any help is appreciated!
    hiya, we have much the same heights and weights and i definitely feel your pain with the yoyo weight. It makes you crazy right?

I asked a pretty similar question here a few weeks ago and was told in no uncertain terms to eat more. If nothing else you will feel a whole heap better. More good fats. 1300 is way way too low, and you are probably suffering for it and not realising it. As soon as I added 4-500 calories my moods changed (for the better), I sleep better and have more energy.

A good place to start is with a metabolic calculator. I like this one. ETP Calculator | Eat to PerformEat to Perform

but you can google to find a simpler one. Basically, you should not eat less than 1800 calories. Or just stop worrying about calories and make sure you're eating really good paleo food and not filling up on sugary fruits.

Oh, and my argument was that on 1300 calories I wasn't hungry for more. So if you truly can't eat more, just use more fat in your cooking. Butter makes everything taste better. Seriously.
    Starting waist measurement: 36". Current 35". First Goal 33".
    Starting backsquat: 50lbs. Current squat: 132lbs.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your starting weight and your activity, you should see a loss on 1300 calories per day. If you're not, a couple of things may help.

If you're not using proper measuring, you can't measure calories. Make sure by using a food scale, measuring cups, and measuring spoons. Most people are surprised when they actually see what six ounces of beef or salmon actually look like.

Take a walk. There are some people who need to have some movement in their lives to lose weight. Do it every day or five days per week. Lifting and sprinting are great, but walking (imo) lets your body know you expect it to be able to take you places. That sounds silly as written, but I don't know a better way to state it.

Every week or 10 days, have one day of controlled 16-1700 calorie eating. It's a signal to your body that food is available and it doesn't need to hang on to every calorie for nourishment and/or energy.

See a doctor and have your thyroid tested. No use banging your head against a wall, if you can get medical help.

Lastly, I don't know what "supposed to" or "melt off" means. If you gauge your results compared to men, you'll feel bad. If you lose 1-3 pounds a week as a woman, you're on track. There are some women who lose faster, but 1-3 pounds per week is fine and normal.

Good luck!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

primalcraft is offline Junior Member
    I do have a scale and measuring cups that I use, but I don't measure every single thing, every time (plus my scale is a bit old I have no idea how accurate it is) because a bag of broccoli comes out to 2.5 cups every time (like plus or minus one floret) and I tend to eat a lot of the same things (I'm uncreative that way). I guess I might be spending too much time comparing (as I mentioned others in the household are doing basic CICO calorie restriction and seem to be doing just as well or better at the weight loss).

Thanks for the tips so far!

eKatherine is online now Senior Member
    I always weigh things rather than measure them when it's a choice. And I weigh everything when I am tracking.

Missimia is offline Junior Member
    You really need to find your TDEE. Use a calculator online and then experiment to find the point where you are neither gaining or losing. Then, depending on your goal and how fast you want to reach it, cut a percentage of calories off of that number. Don't think about the "rules" and what works for everyone else. Take control of your own body and find what works for you.

little vase is online now Senior Member
    zoeamy, I'm curious - have you lost any weight since you started eating more?
    be the hair that knots with my hair
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    primal since oct. 1, 2012