Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite greek yogurt? page

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member

What's your favorite greek yogurt?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've had my dairly be extremely limited (some grass fed butter here and there, cheese and sour cream considered cheats), but I want to try out some greek yogurt.

I have no idea what I'm looking for other than the lowest number of ingredients. Any suggestions?

I'm located in southern california, Riverside, if that makes a difference for any locals. Thanks

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    i eat fage yoghurt

http://www.fageusa.com/nutrition.aspx

its sold at the local marketplace up the road from me. i havent seen it in any really big supermarket chains. you might have luck in a healthfood store or small ma'n'pa style grocery market like the one i shop at.
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Roberta is offline Senior Member
    I eat Fage too. They have it at Trader Joes and Whole Foods Market.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    I saw that allover OC, they should have that in Riverside, no problem. Try TJ. But I think yogurt has way to much sugar to be considered in my kitchen...

JamieBelle is offline Member
    The health food store where I shop only sells 2% Fage which is not what I want. When I asked them if they ever sell it in full-fat, she looked at me like I was crazy. So I've yet to try any. There are no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods within a reasonable driving distance to me.

I'd never had Greek yogurt till this week, so I figured I'd try two different brands. For what the store (Central Market) offered, of the ones I bought, I liked Fage, but I liked the Greek Gods better. The only Fage they had was 2% plain with honey on the side. Cool concept, and it was good, although for me it was more honey than I needed. But I preferred the taste of the Greek Gods with honey, and it was already mixed in. I didn't look at the nutrition of both for comparison, so I don' know if they both had the same amount of sugars (if they used equal amounts of honey) or not.

But, they were both better than my usual vanilla flavored whatever brand I'd buy - usually Activia. The consistency of Greek yogurt is just absolutely wonderful. It's more like a mouse or custard which I love. I can't seem to find full fat for Fage around here, though. If I do, I'll try it too. For now, I'll probably stick with Greek Gods. Oh yeah, and the serving size for Fage was actually more than I needed. That's another reason Greek Gods is better for me.
    Now and then it is good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.

Mike Alzen is offline Senior Member
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions. I don't plan to have it regularly, but the idea of the probiotics, and that I've never had it, has me interested in trying it and perhaps adding it as an occasional treat.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    You can get the texture of Greek yogurt by taking plain yogurt (full fat with live cultures, of course) and straining it through fine cheesecloth or muslin.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

norcalgal is offline Senior Member
    thankfully i requested the whole fat fage yoghurt so they started stocking it! they used to only have 2%. i love small family run stores!
    "The first wealth is health."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    careful with the dairy form of probiotics... i found through some googling that dairy based enzyme probiotics are weight gain forming as opposed to other sources of probiotics which flourish the weight loss ability. i think the particular flora of dairy helps weight gain(hence the GOMAD diet) because it sets the stage for a healthy dose of gut flora FOR weight gain.... just a thought, you may want to do your own searching.

i eat FAGE full fat re-strained after purchasing by the bowlfull everyday...as i am gaining weight b/c i need it and the dairy seems to be spot on with helping that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast