Thread: Help with protein after weights? page

adam204 is offline Member

Help with protein after weights?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,
    Tonight was my first session lifting weights with a friend who has been doing it for many years. Free weights not machines. Im hoping I will see the changes in a few months. Anyway my friend said I should have a protein shake straight after lifting to help my muscles repair. Problem is that Primal rules out grains and wheat which I'm guessing is what this whey protein stuff is? So whats the answer to helping recover primally? Sorry if im being vague but weights are completely new to me and not really my thing if im honest, but im going to work at it for 6 months and then review.
    Thanks in advance,
    Adam

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Sorry if this has been covered, please point me the right way if it has ! I did a search but couldn't really find anything.
    Adam

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Whey protein is derived from dairy, not wheat.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Whey protein is derived from dairy, not wheat.
    Yeah, that. Just try to get the best kind with the least additives and other crap in it. I.e. learn to read the labels.

Jefferson1775 is offline Senior Member
    There's nothing magical about whey powder, but it is cheap and convenient. If you decide to use some, make sure that your brand doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or soy in it. Eating a good-sized chunk of meat after your workout is fine if you don't want to go that route. That's what I used to do.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

jmsmall is offline Senior Member
    The TNT workout by Jeff Volek PhD recommends doing about 20 gm of whey protein about 45 minutes before, and again right after, a weight workout. You can ALSO add some quick carbs if you like; it is supposed to cause a brief insulin surge which pushes glucose and amino acids into muscles that have drained their glycogen and need to do some repairs. I spent a little while poking around the medical literature and found an article that says that 5 gm of branched chain amino acids, same schedule, will reduce DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness.) For my N=1 experiment, I've been doing the BCAA and protein the last four workouts, and darned if the soreness isn't a lot better! The confounding variable: I'm also getting more skilled at the workout. It's the Body By Science workout, sort of, at a TruFit center in Denver.

Advantage of whey powder that they cite is that it gets digested and absorbed pretty fast compared to meat. Of course, my usual plan is to do the whey powder right after workout, then go home and eat meat anyway!

I got the unsweetened powder, I think at Whole Foods but can't remember, and use one of those "blender bottles" that has a little wire sphere in it to shake up the mix. Cold water. Tastes fine; a bit like milk. Whey is pretty pure milk-based protein.
    10/2/12: 169 lbs, 37"waist
    Now: low 150's, 33" waist
    Blog: http://paleopathologist.com/

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson1775 View Post
    There's nothing magical about whey powder, but it is cheap and convenient. If you decide to use some, make sure that your brand doesn't have any artificial sweeteners or soy in it. Eating a good-sized chunk of meat after your workout is fine if you don't want to go that route. That's what I used to do.
    Yep. As long as you hit your protein totals overall, you don't have to worry about whether it's fast or slow digesting.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    What's your goal? Gain or lose?

PrimalCon New York
    Thankyou for you replies, im hoping to loose more fat. I want to drop another 10 lbs if I can by about Christmas, I also intend to do a sprint session once every 7 to 10 days as suggested in marks book.