Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What was your catalyst? page 2

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Blood cholesterol results. Doc read me the riot act and said diet and exercise, or Statins...
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    After discovering that the horrible pain I was in ( and needed narcotics to sleep) was caused by nightshades ( after doc told me it was not diet related) a friend told me about primal/ paleo. I figured I might see many more Heath improvements. Then the weight started falling off. I felt so much better getting off the carb roller coaster!

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    I got really ill and no one could figure out what was wrong. Diet didn't help much at all, but psychologically, I felt better knowing I'm eating in a way that helps my body rather than hurts it. I only want premium fuel for my body, especially when it is knocked down

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    Wow a lot of people just rationally thought, "Well this seems like the sensible option..."

Then we have the, "I felt shitty then tried eating like a human and now I like it."

For me it was straight rage. I am often filled with hatred for agents of cancerous oppression, against whom I have no means of retalliation, and so instead I just started internalizing it and liking the feeling of destroying muscle tissue, and of regeneration and overcoming. I remember though a few years ago just before I started actually taking control of my nutrition that first for a few weeks I just punched a knotted drape that hung in the kitcken doorway.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    I'm lucky as I don't have any health issues but my friend at work had lost a big of weight recently (nothing major but looked good) and he was always queried on what he did and he would always say stuff to me like I have bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday, don't do long distance running (when I mentioned I was doing runs), when I brought a bacon and egg sandwich to work and he said that's good except for what is wrapped around it. He then explained the reason so I stopped having bread for a bit and took his word for it and believed him and I thought this is interesting so I started to research and then that was it!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Pink slime. It led me to everything I know about food in the U.S. An ever continuing journey.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

WeldingHank is online now Senior Member
    I got the diabeetus. Decided i really didn't want it.

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'd have that same problem of whatever I was doing (mostly low-carbing) was all about the weight loss and so when I did lapse or even feel I'd 'earned a treat' it was just putting back some of the weight and I knew I could lose it again. Tomorrow would do just as well as today. I bought into the principle of the super-high levels of carbs not being what we're designed to eat, but it was only a matter of weight and looks and not something that felt either imminently or even long-term dangerous. I think I had the impression that losing weight/looking good = healthy and that eventually achieving that would magically fix whatever time I'd spent overweight/unhealthy.

Then I read Wheat Belly and had my eyes opened to the cumulative long-term damage that could be caused by wheat/grains, even if I had no apparent reactions to eating it (other than weight gain). Removing wheat from my father's diet and seeing the immediate improvement in his cognitive ability was my turning point. At that point I understood the impact of cumulative damage and knew that I wasn't prepared to risk that myself. And that really turned things around for me, because it wasn't just the weight any more, but something that could be setting me up for all sorts of damage down the line.

After that, I had a long hard think about dairy and tried removing it based on the links between dairy and acne. Having cleared the problem I'd had for 35 years, I'm not about to 'slip' on that, no matter how much I enjoy cheese and butter, because it takes weeks to clear the results of a single slip, which are not just cosmetic, but painful. While I'll admit to a very occasional beer, I've not touched any other grain product since dropping them and no dairy. I'm not tempted to, because I now see them as dangerously unhealthy rather than just inadvisable.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I was getting way out of shape and it started to show badly. I thought that there might be a way to reverse all this in the long term rather than applying a crash diet and yes, crash right after into unhealthy ways (been there done that). I could simply not believe that my health was doomed to get worse and worse. Today at about 39 y.o., I am in much better shape than when I was 20 ... I wish I had pictures, especially just before I turned "primal" almost a year ago ... simply amazing transformation and I don't plan to change anything now that I am empowered with tools to improve my health and make me thrive!

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    I realized that I was committing suicide by fork. I had been learning about eating real foods (including ww bread). A visit to the doctor showed me my high BP and borderline high cholesterol, for which I received my first "old person" medication to reduce my hypertension, and a lovely list of "heart smart" food to lower my cholesterol.

A friend told me about hCG, so I read Pounds and Inches by Dr. Simeons, and decided to give it a try (I was actively dying, so I had nothing left to lose). 125 lbs. lost, and I had to find an eating plan that would keep me from regaining the weight, and found Paleo/Primal.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast