Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil for THE WIN! page

pjgh is offline Senior Member

Coconut Oil for THE WIN!

Primal Fuel
    Folks who've read my food posts will know that I'm perfectly happy with dairy. One of my absolute, all time, death row favourite desserts is Cheesecake.

I make Cheesecake quite a bit, from single ingredient cream cheese, vanilla bean paste, sometimes some local honey and double cream. When I first started out, I used gluten-free ginger biscuits as the base but soon dropped that idea - the cheese IS the cake!

When it comes to making my (famous) Cheesecake for friends and neighbours, I put a base in. Simply, digestive biscuits and butter. I've done that for ages, but last weekend we popped over to friends for dinner and she'd make a gorgeous paleo dessert: chocolate, egg, coconut oil and berries. The coconut oil gave a real coolness to the dish and set it wonderfully.

So, tonight I made up my Cheesecake base with crushed digestives, set with coconut oil. Warmed through and poured over the crumbs, spread into a large tray and pressed down ... half hour in the fridge on fast cool and it's set. Rock hard!

Coconut oil for the win!

Cheese on top. Strawbs over tomorrow morning and present at the neighbourhood BBQ tomorrow afternoon. Meat feast ahoy! And all I had to do was turn up with my (now) famous Cheesecake.

Paleo/+ rules! Coconut oil puts it up there!

Cave Bird is offline Member
    So whats the recipe for the cheesecake filling?? Sounds deeeee-lish!

Easy peasy ...

2 parts cream cheese
    1 part double cream
    Vanilla bean
    Honey

I tend to go with 300ml cream cheese and 150ml double cream ... splash of vanilla bean and a drop of honey. Whisk until firm and set in Chef rings. That'll make four 4x1" Chef rings. It should make a shallow 8" base, but single portions in small Chef rings works out better.

Living in the Ice Age: Very Berry Cheesecake
    Living in the Ice Age: Easy as Cheesecake

loves walking is offline Member
    Cheesecake is my favorite to. This might sound stupid but what is double cream?

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    You'd call double cream heavy cream in the US.

It's just a bit heavier than your heavy cream, something like 50% butter fat. Heavy cream would do just fine - it thickens as it is whisked. Double cream just makes it extra-creamy. I guess you could evaporate some of the liquid off heavy cream to concentrate it.

Moment of truth will be in a couple of hours when we cut into it ... I'm sure the CO has set the base absolutely perfectly, but we'll see ...

Sorry! I couldn't get a snap of the cake being cut ... it's was attacked by a horde and wolfed down within seconds! Literally!

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Goodness that looks good!

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    What I want to know is WHERE DID YOU FIND SINGLE INGREDIENT CREAM CHEESE??
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

... the local supermarket. It's just milk. Other cream cheeses have stuff like locust bean gum in, stabilisers and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast