Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Vent] Vegan friend is vegan page 3

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I've been checking out the whole "raw vegan" movement lately. Why watch comedians when I have these goons to laugh at? Professional writers couldn't top this stuff. Juice fasting, concern for the well-being of honey bees and questions like "Can you get vitamin b12 from eating dirt?"

Granted, some of them are pretty chillin' and the hardcore paleo crowd can be pretty ridiculous too. But the whole "scene" is awash with silliness and poor logic. I like the ones who try to dump on meat and get furious when I suggest that meat is really healthy and expose their fallacies. These people need some damn animal-based fats and bioavailable zinc. Sheesh.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

slesca is offline Senior Member
    Rural midwest; just outside a mid-sized city
    The frustration of watching people bang their heads against the vegan/vegetarian wall is so unnerving. I don't have any suggestions but I just keep mentioning to my friends how good I feel and how I'm a huge carnivore. Not in a preachy way, but more in a "yeah, I used to get sick a lot but this year I started to eat way more meat/cut out grains and it seems to be helping ME." That seems like an offhand way to throw it in without making it about that person changing.

I've said this before, but it really boggles my mind when people complain of digestive issues but refuse to consider that this MIGHT be due to the THINGS THEY ARE DIGESTING. I ain't a doctor, but it seems like a good place to start looking...

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    concern for the well-being of honey bees
    I thought that was a legitimate concern because of how much they help pollinate other plants.

That conception of concern has to do with concern with their physical well-being due to their utility to humanity; the conception I was getting at is more at the subjective suffering level. Bees being kept captive by horrible slave-driving bee keepers who spray them with doping gas, etc.

dsantana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    This is amazing!! I have to start collecting now!

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    That conception of concern has to do with concern with their physical well-being due to their utility to humanity; the conception I was getting at is more at the subjective suffering level. Bees being kept captive by horrible slave-driving bee keepers who spray them with doping gas, etc.
    Ahh, gotcha. Hell I wish my boss would come around and spray me with doping gas every now and then.

Yeah I could actually go for some of that right about now. Heh.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    In my neck of Texas (oilfield/ ranch country) i really don't find too many veggie/ vegan/ raw folks. People here enjoy their meat too much.[retracted for truthfulness.]
    Last edited by naiadknight; 05-29-2010 at 10:59 AM.

hw1178 is offline Member
    I'm not defending veganism by any means, but I agree with your friend on foie gras. Not only is it cruel, it isn't exactly primal. The duck or goose is force-fed corn in order to fatten it's liver. Just like any other animal whose diet is corn based, the omega-6mega-3 ratio is going to extremely high and unhealthy.

reamz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    or maybe foie gras isn't sooooooo cruel...? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABeWlY0KFv8

nevertheless, i would feel uncomfortable about eating it...and ofcourse as mentioned, the omega 3:6 balanace would be waaay off, so not exactly healthy

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast