Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Risk of raw eggs page

howardroark is offline Member

Risk of raw eggs

Primal Fuel
    For my whole life, I have always had the assumption that you do not eat raw eggs, due to risk of food-borne illness. Mark's article for egg coffee yesterday reminded me that I was wondering about this very issue for his mayonnaise recipe (raw egg yolks). Is it safe to eat raw eggs?

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    If your eggs are from a quality source, you should be fine.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Risk of raw eggs from good chickens: virtually zero.

Cyborcat is offline Senior Member
    Also, I'm going to guess that the heat from the coffee, or the acid from the vinegar essentially "cooks" the eggs enough to kill anything. I do believe I've at least heard that about vinegar--the coffee may just be wishful thinking on my part =P
    My Blog where I talk about my experiences with improving my health and life
    (I try to update ... once in awhile)

Rimmer - Step up to Red Alert!
    Kryten - Sir ... are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
    (Red Dwarf)

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    The risk increases greatly when you leave the eggs out on the counter for extended periods of time at warm temperatures, as they do in restaurants. That's why most cases of food poisoning from eggs happen in restaurants.

I never much liked raw eggs, even in beverages. But if the beverage is actually hot, there is not a safety problem. 140 is not hot enough, but you'd probably say that if you were to taste it. Coffee is normally served at 160-180F.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborcat View Post
    Also, I'm going to guess that the heat from the coffee, or the acid from the vinegar essentially "cooks" the eggs enough to kill anything. I do believe I've at least heard that about vinegar--the coffee may just be wishful thinking on my part =P
    Vinegar does not cook anything. It merely retards bacterial growth. Adding acid to fish when making seviche results in the proteins being denatured, but the presence of pathogenic bacteria will be unchanged.
    Last edited by eKatherine; 07-26-2013 at 08:42 AM.

howardroark is offline Member
    Based on the responses so far, it seems like some homemade mayonnaise will be getting made this weekend.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    I have been eating raw eggs for most part of my life and never had any problems by doing it...
    "When a person is poor in knowledge then he is rich in ignorance and stubbornness, carefully heeding around the little that he knows ..."
    - Gorbag

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I don't like raw whites, but I mix raw yolks into all kinds of stuff. My salad dressings, homemade mayo, apparently even my coffee now!..... But I really love shooting the yolk just by itself. Its so tasty. Safety concerns have already been covered I think.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    Vinegar does not cook anything. It merely retards bacterial growth. Adding acid to fish when making seviche results in the proteins being denatured, but the presence of pathogenic bacteria will be unchanged.
    Not quite true. Vinegar does kill bacteria, but simply putting vinegar on fish will not destroy all pathogens it might contain.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have had raw eggs occasionally with no problem whatsoever. I remember reading somewhere that extra caution needs to be applied when cracking the egg, so there is minimal contact with the outer surface of the eggshell.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast