Thread: Kettlebell resource page

Kettlebell resource

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've heard a lot about kettlebells as great conditioning tools. That sounds like a good indoor sprinting substitute in the winter, so I'd like to start looking into them. What book (or other resource, but I prefer books) does a good job of explaining the basic moves (snatch, swing, etc) and other things I'd need to know?

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    I've heard a lot about kettlebells as great conditioning tools. That sounds like a good indoor sprinting substitute in the winter, so I'd like to start looking into them. What book (or other resource, but I prefer books) does a good job of explaining the basic moves (snatch, swing, etc) and other things I'd need to know?
    For technique, video is critical - go past the first 40 sec of this for some basics: Kettlebell Basics with Steve Cotter - YouTube

For books, I'd start with Enter the Kettlebell, by Pavel Tsatsouline

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I'd also say Enter the Kettlebell. Also try to have a few sessions with a qualified Strongfirst instructor as it is really important to have good technique.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

vincebae is offline Member
    I second Enter the Kettlebell. However, (turkish) get up in Enter the Kettlebell seems out-dated.
    As far as I know Get up was refined in RKC after the book was written.
    If you are looking for youtube video or instructor, I recommend RKC or SFG (Strongfirst) certified instructor.
    (Steve Cotter is (was?) a senior RKC instructor)

patrick12 is offline Junior Member
    Would definitely recommend "enter the kettlebell" by Plav. Have to ask the question though, why not get a dvd? that way you'll learn correct form a lot easier than from a book. It might just be me though. Also start out with a light weight so form can be more easily corrected and monitored. I teach kettlebell classes and notice particullary with guys that they tend to start too heavy and lose or don't even know correct form because of this!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Anything by Paval.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Iron Will is offline Senior Member
    Looks like there's a couple of us here. As an instructor I would recommend doing some sessions with someone from any of these three schools: RKC, IKF, Agatsu. These are the top schools that teach correct form. I wouldn't recommend going to someone who has taken a half day course because they most likely will not know correct movement patterns or how to correct for improper patterns.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Will View Post
    Looks like there's a couple of us here. As an instructor I would recommend doing some sessions with someone from any of these three schools: RKC, IKF, Agatsu. These are the top schools that teach correct form. I wouldn't recommend going to someone who has taken a half day course because they most likely will not know correct movement patterns or how to correct for improper patterns.
    I would agree with that...some moves MAY be ok to do on your own but due to the dynamic nature you want to make sure you get it right.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

ryanmercer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    Anything by Paval.
    ^This
    -Ryan Mercer my blog and Genco Peptides my small biz