Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friday horror. Have you ever seen a ghost? page 3

EatMoveSleep is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Hey - I do get that sometimes when I have nightmares! I had no idea it was a real thing. I wake up and absolutely cannot move for a few seconds. As soon as I get the ability to move I turn on the light and sit up in bed. I hate that feeling. Fortunately it doesn't happen all that often.
    Yes then you definitely experience sleep paralysis.

It seems to indicate your shadow smoking man was most likely a SP hallucination :-)

So was no need to check out of the hotel room and sit on the curb in the dark that night.

Images seems so real at the time - the brain is amazing like that.
    I can understand where supernatural beliefs can start.

A least you have solved your mystery- hopefully others posting there scary experiences can too :-)

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    I'm intensely suspicious of and also fascinated by all this kind of stuff. I'd love there to be something more than just electrical/chemical connections in the brain because I'd love to think there was some way that death isn't the end of my uniqueness, but ... well. Everything we see/hear/feel is the result of our brains translating the impulses received from nerves/sensors. We expect to receive impulses that originate from external stimuli so I think there's a tendency for the brain to translate whatever it receives into the closest comparable pattern that it knows and to base that on being received from one of its existing sensors.

As a child, I used to find it difficult to wake up sometimes and be aware that things were going on around me without being able to move or open my eyes. As an adult I've experienced sleep paralysis on a few rare occasions. A few times being just loud noises that appeared to happen just as I was falling asleep, that I was sure had been inside the house. Now I understand that in fact I had already fallen asleep and dreamed the noises. One time, I was convinced someone had sat on the edge of the bed as I felt the mattress dip and my body bend in reaction and even the bedclothes tighten round me. And I struggled very hard to move and eventually wrenched myself awake and into motion. It took me a few moments for the panic to subside and to understand that it was sleep paralysis and all internally triggered. Possibly a cramp in my side due to an overly saggy mattress, or just my brain creating false impressions from random synapses firing. It happened again the next night and it was a bit easier to wake up and I was less panicked because I knew what it was.

My personal theory regarding ghosts is linked to the fact that so many of them occur in older houses which are prone to damp and corrosion and thus likely to have local variations in electrical and magnetic fields. I think that some people's brain chemistry is more susceptible to such external influences and the way the brain translates this is influenced by the person's beliefs and assumptions. If the stimulus resembles a visual signal then, if the person is receptive to the idea of ghosts, the stronger the signal, the more likely it is to be interpreted as a visible presence. Everything that we see and sense after all, comes down to the way our brains are used to translating such impulses. It's all subjective, so that someone who has R/G colourblindness will not perceive the external world in the same way that I do.

I have a long-time friend who has been seeing and sensing ghosts her whole life. I believe that she's both sensitive to magnetic/electrical fields and is also now so used to this interpretation of what's going on in her brain that any slight fluctuation becomes another example of spiritual interactions. I don't have any such beliefs and when something doesn't fit into my factual interpretation of the world around me, I keep digging at it until I have an explanation that works for me. I'm either not as sensitive to local EM field fluctuations, or I interpret them as random bodily twitches/sensations without needing a deeper explanation.

But I do find the whole subject fascinating!
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Don't believe in ghosts but have felt a "presence" in one house. A 1930s semi-detached, with a long kitchen, always felt a little creepy. I was washing up when I "knew" something was in the doorway over my shoulder. Heart was pounding, spun around, didn't see a thing. But "knew". Ideas welcome!

Contrast to happily pootling around a large old house for a few years that proudly proclaimed the death of the owner there in the 17th century. Not creepy in the slightest.

Also have occasional sleep paralysis, god I hate that.

Pedidoc is online now Senior Member
    When we moved into a house when I was in 7th grade it came with a ghost. Never saw him, but he (we named him Harvey) liked to turn the TV on about 0200. He also turned lights off and on at odd times. When my parents moved about 10 minutes away, he went with them.

I had gone to visit a widowed friend and felt a very evil cold presence in her front hall closet. Freaked me out. Spent the night and woke up feeling a benevolent presence watching me. Come to find out others had felt the thing in the closet and her husband had committed suicide upstairs next to the bedroom I stayed in. I mentioned the feeling to my friend and she said that her husband had liked blondes and red heads and she thought he must have liked me. Interestingly his dog, who only liked my friend, was glued to my side the entire time I was there.
    Female 52 travel for business monthly
    Starting wt: 198, Goal: 135, Current with PB: 160
    Started at a size 16 down to loose 10

With PB my asthma has improved, low back pain is gone, & I've got more energy

My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60175.html

Quote Originally Posted by awok677 View Post

As a child, I used to find it difficult to wake up sometimes and be aware that things were going on around me without being able to move or open my eyes. As an adult I've experienced sleep paralysis on a few rare occasions. A few times being just loud noises that appeared to happen just as I was falling asleep, that I was sure had been inside the house. Now I understand that in fact I had already fallen asleep and dreamed the noises. One time, I was convinced someone had sat on the edge of the bed as I felt the mattress dip and my body bend in reaction and even the bedclothes tighten round me. And I struggled very hard to move and eventually wrenched myself awake and into motion. It took me a few moments for the panic to subside and to understand that it was sleep paralysis and all internally triggered.
    Yes loud noise are often part of the hallucination.

If I wake up during then night and then get up for a while, going back to bed a little later can induce sleep paralysis going to sleep - I find it quite interesting .
    Loud noises, buzzing, whistling, dragging sounds, banging noise, machine noises etc very very loud in the room and in my head ( really it all occurring in the brain)- along with light flashes , 'lightning', heavy weight felt on body, body vibrations etc.

It can be a bit scary but I understand what's happening ( completely conscious ) so it doesn't freak me out. Other people experience this and have very negatives perceptions, evil presence, shadow people, perception of someone sitting on them, perception someone in the room, very negative visual and audible hallucinations ( their name being called, voices etc) -generally very negative perceptions, they are experiencing the same sort stuff as me but their beliefs systems have made it a very negative experience.

I actually like it as it means I'm consciously entering a dream from a waking state - normally the dream environment is actually missing and the Out Of Body Experience occurs ( a dream experience you have when the dream environment is not 'set' - yes it really feels like you really leave the body so I understand people saying it really happened - but its a real hallucination - an extra vivid dream)

Is all sounds so fantastic but we all go through it unconsciously every time we dream - the non-conscious entry you don't perceive the experience and of course won't remember it.

My personal theory regarding ghosts is linked to the fact that so many of them occur in older houses which are prone to damp and corrosion and thus likely to have local variations in electrical and magnetic fields. I think that some people's brain chemistry is more susceptible to such external influences and the way the brain translates this is influenced by the person's beliefs and assumptions. If the stimulus resembles a visual signal then, if the person is receptive to the idea of ghosts, the stronger the signal, the more likely it is to be interpreted as a visible presence. Everything that we see and sense after all, comes down to the way our brains are used to translating such impulses. It's all subjective, so that someone who has R/G colourblindness will not perceive the external world in the same way that I do.
    D
    Old houses makes people think of people used to live there than may now be dead - new houses don't drive the human imagination the same way.

Old houses can have old timber, loose floor boards, old blocked plumbing, possums and rats underfloor and in the roof, poor insulation, old water heaters, loose roofing tins, poorly sealing doors and windows, cracked foundations etc.
    These old features make them noisy during temperature changes and can be heard during colder quite times (eg at night) - at night the human imagination is quite high

I have a long-time friend who has been seeing and sensing ghosts her whole life. I believe that she's both sensitive to magnetic/electrical fields and is also now so used to this interpretation of what's going on in her brain that any slight fluctuation becomes another example of spiritual interactions. I don't have any such beliefs and when something doesn't fit into my factual interpretation of the world around me, I keep digging at it until I have an explanation that works for me. I'm either not as sensitive to local EM field fluctuations, or I interpret them as random bodily twitches/sensations without needing a deeper explanation.

But I do find the whole subject fascinating!
    I except she experiencing stuff - but not 'real' ghosts.
    Her brain works differently to create these 'perceptions' and feelings.

Yes the human brain/mind is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I was washing up when I "knew" something was in the doorway over my shoulder. Heart was pounding, spun around, didn't see a thing. But "knew". Ideas welcome!
    Human imagination - its normal.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I've been plagued by spirits since I was 18 months old.

I still remember that first one VIVIDLY and I'm almost 45!

Anyway, they don't come around much anymore for some reason,
    but sometimes I *do* feel my black lab (gone 9yrs now) jump on my
    bed in the middle of the night.

Last person I saw, was some older man, walking down my hallway into
    the kitchen a couple of years ago and that was that.

I still feel people, but I haven't seen anyone since the dude in the hallway.

Julia

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Years ago, when my oldest son was 4, I was speaking to one of my Mom's friends about how my Mom was doing in the hospital. While talking to her (the friend) my son picked up a pack of my Mom's cigarettes, took one out, put it in his mouth, and then reached over and grabbed a handheld slots game that my Mom played. After scolding him, and putting everything back, I said goodbye to my Mom's friend. The phone rang and it was my Mom's doctor, who called to tell me that my Mom just passed away.

Ghosts? No. Spirits, souls, life forces? Definitely.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I think I did when I was about 17. I was driving home from my bf's house on some back roads. I saw three people walking dressed weird. At first I thought they must have been getting some air from a costume party, but when I slowed down and looked in my rear view mirror, they were gone. I stopped to check, and really, unless they jumped off the road and hid in the field, they were gone.

That's the only time. And I'm glad it was the only time, because for goodness sake, stay dead!
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

awok677 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by EatMoveSleep View Post
    Old houses makes people think of people used to live there than may now be dead - new houses don't drive the human imagination the same way.

Old houses can have old timber, loose floor boards, old blocked plumbing, possums and rats underfloor and in the roof, poor insulation, old water heaters, loose roofing tins, poorly sealing doors and windows, cracked foundations etc.
    These old features make them noisy during temperature changes and can be heard during colder quite times (eg at night) - at night the human imagination is quite high

I except she experiencing stuff - but not 'real' ghosts.
    Her brain works differently to create these 'perceptions' and feelings.

Yes the human brain/mind is amazing.
    Yup. My house is a 1940s semi- that hasn't had much in the way of modernisation. Brick cavity walls, non-felted tiled roof, suspended floors downstairs and much of the original pipework though the house was mostly rewired. I had the original fuse box replaced with a new unit. Despite this, it's a very quiet house to live in, very few noises and I think that's because it's basically drafty (gaps in walls, floors and roof despite double glazing) so doesn't have steep temperature differentials.

Her parents house was a 1970s house designed and built for them. Concrete/brick build, aluminium double glazing from the start so theoretically shouldn't have the movement and noises of an older house. Which is why I tend to lean towards EM fields and damp/temperature/corrosion effects. Especially after I read about an experiment where an EM field was applied to a subject's brain and every time they flipped the switch he could feel someone grabbing hold of his ankle.

Yes, the human brain is a truly amazing machine.
    Me, My Father and The Alzheimer's - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread84213.html

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast