Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compound in the"Mediterranean Diet" that Makes Cancer Cells ‘Mortal’ page

j3nn is offline Senior Member

Compound in the"Mediterranean Diet" that Makes Cancer Cells ‘Mortal’

The title is a bit misleading because I don't see how this is exclusive to the "Mediterranean Diet," but it's interesting nonetheless: The Compound in the Mediterranean Diet that Makes Cancer Cells ?Mortal?

Top sources of apigenin: Nutrition - Page 1 of Foods High in Apigenin
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    Brand recognition.

Interesting that parsley is up there - not a commonly talked about herb.

M.

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    I <3 parsley.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

It is pretty good stuff. I seem to have a wild variant growing in my yard right now.

M.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Interesting, thanks! I don't want to fall into the "most people are eejits and we're somehow special" trap but I can't help but think most people (there, said it!) will skim read that headline and conclude that pasta with olive oil and maybe some tomatoes is the main thing to aim for, when the headline could just as well have said "herb commonly added to butter makes cancer cells "mortal"...

Indeed. I need to read into the Mediterranean diet - Primal was the first one I really read into, not having been "into" the whole "niche" diet stuff. I'm all for it if it's based around like Yogurt or something...

BTW, Lady D, who is the gorgeous lady in your avatar?

M.

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    BTW, Lady D, who is the gorgeous lady in your avatar?
    Princess Leia!

The Med. diet is a low-sat fat, low red-meat diet, it's actually by the same guy, Ancel Keys (Ancel Keys - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), who is directly responsbile for demonising animal fat, based on a flawed study that ignored any data that didn;t fit his hypothesis.

The diet does have some good things, like eating loads of fresh veg and some fsh, but it's the crux of why sites like this one are still "fringe" for many people & medics even now.

"As a result [of his study], in 1956, representatives of the American Heart Association appeared on television to inform people that a diet which included large amounts of butter, lard, eggs and beef would lead to coronary heart disease. This resulted in the American government recommending that people adopt a low-fat diet in order to prevent heart disease."

To be fair, the old bastard lived to 101 years old, but the damage his anti-fat agenda has wrought, by indirectly painting carbs as the hero of the world, is sickeningly vast in scale.

Gah! Keyes! Nope nope nope bayonet charge.

On a more serious note, I vaguely remember the connection now. I looked into it a while back, discarded it because I care very little for fish.

Also now that you say Leia, I see the resemblance. Must be the small size. Mine's "cha".

M.

rongxinge is offline Junior Member
    think so,Interesting that parsley is up there - not a commonly talked about herb.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/28/ma...anted=all&_r=0

This is a great article on the Mediterranean diet. It also touches on the lifestyle habits that are needed.

Ancel Keyes ended up living in Italy, down towards (maybe past) Salerno on the Cilento coast. They have one of the best mortality rates. They eat a lot of fish and one of the lowest consumption of sugar in Italy. He really mis-sold the Mediterranean diet and it has been interpreted badly to be pasta, pasta, pasta.

I was reading Marcella Hazan's cookbook and I was looking at her recipe for Pasta and chickpeas, part of the cucina povera of Southern Italy and now used as a vegetarian dish. In her recipe the recipe included...beef stock, which as we know is very good for us and helps with assimilation of poor quality protein (chick peas). So even if people were poor they were still including meat in their diets. In Naples you can still buy Musetta, cooked cows nose which you eat with rocket and lemon juice.
    Life. Be in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast