Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Meals in under 5 mins page 2

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Roast meat and steam vegetables to keep in the refrigerator. You can plate that up within 5 minutes any day.

Salixisme is offline Member
    Salad with leftover cold cooked meat, chicken or fish. And if that is not available, a salad with wild caught fish canned in water or olive oil.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Jerky, fruit, nuts and chocolate are pretty good instant meals.

If you want to actually COOK something in less than five minutes.... that basically mandates you use a microwave, right? My go to instant hot meals are:
    4 eggs + 50g butter + 50ml cream: microwave for, stir every 30s, served with salt
    1 banana, 1pc dark choc: microwave for 90sec, serve with 100ml cream
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    1) Open can of sardines.
    2) Consume.
    3) Repeat steps 1 & 2 as much as necessary.
    +1. And while technically not five minutes, if you serve it over rice with some hot sauce or salsa, it even feels like a meal. Note that the prep time is under five minutes. The time in the rice cooker is what pushes it over five minutes.

I also agree with planning ahead. If you're exhausted after work, you're working hard. If you're working hard, you need nourishment to sustain you.

If you have a fish monger near you that will steam your purchase, that's prepared food with no labor except the purchase.

Frozen veggies, though not optimal, are still very good. They'll defrost in the fridge (or in the package in the sink) while you're at work. Toss them into a pan with your fat of choice, whatever spices you like, and some ground meat, go change into your-after work clothes, come back and finish stir frying.

Next time you buy eggs, hard boil up a whole dozen. Come home after work, mash some up with a little olive oil and black pepper, and eat them off cucumber slices or off a spoon if you'd rather.

One of the issues with switching from prepared foods to real food is getting rid of the idea that food instantly appears when we want it.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Salixisme is offline Member
    Another suggestion, while not technically 5 minute meals (they involve some advance prep work) is to use a slow cooker.

You can make any number of stews, chillies, roasts you name it that you prep in advance (night before and stash in fridge is good. Put in slowcooker in the morning and turn on).... when you come home exhausted after a long hard day at work all you need to do is serve.... maybe knock up a quick side salad or something to get that green leafy stuff in as well...
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

lea
    lea is offline Senior Member
    Scrambled eggs are really fast

Do you care about cook time or just prep? Because you can easily prep veggies or meat for the oven either that night or do all your chopping etc on Sundays like I do and then just stick it in the oven, go about your business, and then pull it out when the timer goes off.

I usually just cook a big batch on Sundays and live off leftovers for the week.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    maybe 7 mins not 5, but real easy. satay. you just have to keep moving the whole time. put the steamer on. chuck in some chopped up veges like eg. brussel sprouts, cauliflower, brocolli, cubes of squash or pumpkin. meanwhile, put the fry pan on and drop in a bit of coconut oil, swiftly chop up some onion, garlic and red capsicum. throw them in the fry pan with some diced meat or choice or something like some prawns or both. iif you have it pour in some broth or some water with a vege boullion cube. i then cover this with a lid to steam it a bit to give me some time. stir every 30 secs of so. throw in some sliced mushrooms and bean shoots or finely chopped cabbage. open can of coconut milk. when the meat and veges look done, prob in about 3 mins, pour in some coconut milk, add in some salt and pepper, cayenne, thyme or oregano, some fish sauce, a spoon or so of almond butter, some chopped cilantro and or basil, some grated lime rind. mix till smooth. serve on top of steamed veges which should be done at the same time. experiment with veges and herbs and meats.

fish or steak and salad is also real quick. pan on. when it heats up. throw in the steak or the fish. a few mins each side whilst throwing together a salad and you are done.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    +1. And while technically not five minutes, if you serve it over rice with some hot sauce or salsa, it even feels like a meal. Note that the prep time is under five minutes. The time in the rice cooker is what pushes it over five minutes.
    You don't have to count rice cooking time if you've got a rice cooker that keeps rice hot. Rice + kippered herring + kimchi + crumbled nori.

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    roasting? does that count as quick? get a half chicken and chuck it in the oven with some sweet potato and parsnip, sit down take shoes off, have shower, get jim jams on, pull out of oven, steam broccoli and spinach. Nom.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    my go to "fast meal" is a small can of tuna, about a quarter of an avocado, mash and salt and pepper that, then I throw the whole shebang on a generous fistful of spinach and whatever veggies I have in the fridge. I probably have that 3 or 4 times a week for lunch or after the gym as a snack
    Here to eat and move like a caveman, not look or stink like one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast