Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretching/warmup tips for lower back page

StupidFatHobbit is offline Senior Member

Stretching/warmup tips for lower back

Primal Fuel
    When I bent over to start dead lifting yesterday I felt some pain on my lower left side of my back. Thankfully it is diminished today though not gone. Any tips on how to avoid or rehab this? Hanging from a pull-up bar momentarily alleviates it.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    If you lay on your back and pull your knees to your chest you can stretch the lower back a little. Feels pretty good. Another one I like to do are scorpions and I can't remember what it's called but it's the same as scorpions only you do it laying face-up instead of face down. I found both these two latter ones pop a spot in my back that is the same spot the chiropracter pops so I figure it's like getting free DIY chiropractic.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Leida is offline Senior Member
    On one side means that you are likely have mis-matched strength on the sides of your body. You are also likely pulling with your back, not your legs. Drop the weight on DL, and make sure you are lifting with hams and glute. Roll the bar all the way along your body basically. Do not let bum wave in the air when you start the lift. Do not finish the set, when you start feeling the back strain/lose form. Set the bar down between reps and reset/refocus. Deadlifting is not a race, and the # of reps you need is very low.

Ferris in his 4 hour body has fantastic chapter on both rehabbing and evening out the strength on 2 sides of the body. Very much worth checking out of the library.

Anf, yeah, sbikes suggested good stretches. I also find that hamstring stretches alleviate low back discomfort as well as moving knees to the side in a twist after you brought knees to your tummy. Also anything that provides extension rather than flexing my back for me. Stretching out toes to fingertips above head and arching, rolling on the floor, cat-cow, and trying to find your best position to get comfortable stretch in the area.
    Last edited by Leida; 07-25-2013 at 08:45 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    In addition to the above, I like doing some nice light kettlebell swings and rowing machine work as my warmup on deadlift/squat days.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Make sure your "bending over" starts with a hip hinge.

I'm gonna bet this is a big part of your problem.

If you don't know how to hip hinge the foundation training book/program (cheap on kindle) is built almost entirely around strengthening and retraining this primal movement. Do the program for 6 weeks then come back to the deadlift.

Foundation Training : Home
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 07-25-2013 at 09:53 AM.

quikky is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StupidFatHobbit View Post
    When I bent over to start dead lifting yesterday I felt some pain on my lower left side of my back. ...Any tips on how to avoid or rehab this?.
    Well, how can anyone help you avoid something if they don't know what you're doing? You have to provide more detail.

How do you deadlift? Was your form off? At what point in the lift did this happen? Can you post a video of yourself deadlifting?

Leida is offline Senior Member
    In addition to the above, I like doing some nice light kettlebell swings and rowing machine work as my warmup on deadlift/squat days.
    +1 on the rower.

I find that squats on the bosu half-ball is a great pre squat/deadlift move as well.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Salixisme is offline Member
    If you are getting a pain on one side of your back, it is possible that you have strained one of the back muscles which have then gone into a protective spasm. If it is very close to your spine, I would guess it is the errector spinae. if it is a bit further out, more towards your side, then Quadratus lumborum. As you say it has diminished today, it probalby isn't anything serious, but I would be careful with any lifts to not irritate it further.

As far as stretching goes, make sure you stretch after a workout as well as before....

I have a webpage with back stretches if it is any help. It also has a load of tips on how to stretch properly.
    Last edited by Salixisme; 07-25-2013 at 01:45 PM.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    youtube: Founders stretch.

Works wonders.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I like to do standing leg swings to the front and sides. Good dynamic stretch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast