Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much exercise is enough? page 2

camay001 is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by savsta View Post
    Hi,

https://www.facebook.com/Fitmir2012?ref=hl

You can do these workouts before you ride to campus, they require nothing but bodyweight and will maintain lean muscle. There are different workouts everyday so you don't have to think about it, you just have to wake up, check online and do the workout.

I usually do 50% of what he does, for example if it says 4 cycles ill do 2 which is more than enough.

Workouts take about 15min.

Sav
    This is awesome! Thanks! These are perfect to knock out in my room right before I leave in the am.

dkJames is offline Senior Member
    I am using the work-out developed by Charles Lewis Armstrong, the guy who wanted to break the world record in number of pull-ups. It is not my intention to do so but I like calisthenics and it is a good template to build strength and keep or increase muscle mass. I have been on and off this program due to home duties but the little I did during the last 2-3 weeks have already changed the way I look. I plan on following the program straight for 6 weeks, and then we'll see. In the in-between, I walk and bike quite a lot, and sprint 1x to 2x week (20mn session, loose Tabata style).

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by camay001 View Post
    My ride is about 40 minutes each way and I ride with a backpack full of books, lunch, and change of clothes...maybe 20 pounds? So that's 80 minutes a day plus any riding I do on the weekends to run errands (I live in a major city).
    I'm going to suggest that you consider getting some sort of panniers for your bike to take the stress off your shoulders. There's just no purpose in carrying that weight on your body.

savsta is offline Junior Member
    This is awesome! Thanks! These are perfect to knock out in my room right before I leave in the am.
    No problem, the routines are really good and I have made solid strength gains and my physique has improved even though I only do 50% of what is stated. The best part is you don't have to think about a routine, you just wake up check online, do the workout for 15 min and get on with your life.

Sav

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Well the real question is enough for what? What are your goals? Enough to be healthy and fairly fit.... yeah probably along with a primal diet. Enough to retain or improve lean muscle mass.... probably not.

My recs for an exercise minimum would be at least one heavy resistance day a week with high intensity.... and then as much movement as you can muster in the low and slow range outside of that.
    Yeah 2nd this. Med school is hard and you are likely to be under a lot of stress too. Just make sure to get plenty of sleep, I would prioritize that over anything else.

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any advice...

For about 8 years I was extremely active both as a college athlete, then as a Crossfitter and then as a powerlifter, runner, etc. Recently, however, I quit my job and started med school.

I thought I could keep up a steady routine but I'm swamped and haven't been lifting more than once a week (maybe) for a the past month. I do, however, bike to and from school since it's a nice hilly route and, let's be honest, saves on gas and is quicker than trying to fight traffic in the car. My ride is about 40 minutes each way and I ride with a backpack full of books, lunch, and change of clothes...maybe 20 pounds? So that's 80 minutes a day plus any riding I do on the weekends to run errands (I live in a major city).

My question is, is this enough? I can tell I'm losing muscle already but then again, I was deadlifting about 250 and squatting 190 and I'm realizing that kind of regimentation just isn't realistic right now.

Is there anything else I should be doing or is the biking daily enough? Like maybe a quick at-home BW workout or something?

Thoughts?
    I think it's plenty! Get all the other activity on the side if you want to; I'm talking fun stuff that you enjoy such as walking, swimming, playing, etc..

Aside from that, especially if you don't have much time, just do 1-2 hard workout per week in order to keep your strength. 2 is actually plenty for strength athletes, and 1 still works descent for your average Joe or Jane.

The only thing I do have to say is don't ever let your workouts get in the way of your grades at school. I think all the cycling you do and everything else, should help keep your mind healthy, thinking good, and happy. But where you can bump into trouble is overdoing it with the intensity.

Just for example, when I was in college I was still lifting heavy 3 times per week, intensely and deadlifting over 400 for reps. And that was a mistake because the deadlift workout would leave me drained for 3 days, which would require me extra sleep to recover and left me with less energy to study. That's no good.

If I had it to do all over, back in my college days, I would have done more moderate workouts to keep my mind in shape, and only 1-2 hard workouts per week. I would have done only 1 top set on my heavy lifts. And I would have held back a little and trained hard, but not HARD.

So, I think what you are doing is plenty. Like I said, just don't overdo it on the intense stuff, just 1-2 hard sessions per week, but not too hard. And play all you want, if you have the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12