Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best self-sufficiency/hunting books page

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member

Best self-sufficiency/hunting books

Shop Now
    In starting to prep for hunting season this weekend, I thought I would pick anyone's brain as to the best books they have found on:

1) Deer hunting and scouting....a book that explains how to find early season deer sign. Everything I know is from my father and not easily transferable to hunting partners. (I.E. "Find open ridges that have northern sun exposure" is an actual piece of advice from him)

2) Mushroom foraging. Right now I know 2 varietals and only find them after heavy rain. I see others all the time but have no means of learning more.

3) Wild game cooking. I slow braise everything or on a spit. I need more nuance

4) Rabbit recipes that don't involve stew. I want to write something called "The Mountain Man's Cookbook" or something....if one knows of this already existing, give me an author and title!

Thanks. Grok on.

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    Monte Burch has some good books out, some are on field dressing, others on camp/lodge building, others on game cooking etc.
    Monte Burch | Barnes & Noble

mike is offline Senior Member
    The best way to learn about mushrooms if to find a local mushroom hunting group, maybe through a university. If fact, you might contact the mycologist at the nearest university and invite them to take their class on a mushroom foray on your property. In return you get to learn about the edible mushrooms in your area. I'm not sure if I know anyone at the U. of Vermont, I will check (I am a mycologist of sorts) There are some good field guides such as Petersons field guide series, but they're huge and include all of the fungi of North America. A local one would be better.

Also, shiitake, oyster and several other kinds of mushrooms are easy to grow yourself.

seaweed is online now Senior Member
    cant help you with 2) as we're in the wrong country. 3) & 4) Hunter Angler Gardener Cook i like the recipes here. loads of inspiration. as to #1. dont know about books. it depends on the terrain and the species of deer, season etc.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    4)Rabbit recipes - i love rabbit. I've cooked and eaten all of these as i get fed up with stew. rabbits good in curry too-just replace the amount of chicken with bunny bits
    rabbit rillette (pate) Rabbit recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian amazing
    baked rabbit Coniglio al Forno by Antonio Carluccio really tasty
    sauteed rabbit Sauteed Rabbit nice and fresh tasting
    Rabbit in a Champagne Dijon Mustard Sauce Rabbit in a Champagne Dijon Mustard Sauce fancy entertaining- i use dry sparkling wine
    Rabbit en papillote Rabbit en papillote recipe - All recipes UK really tasty -you can use any meaty piece but there's not enough meat on the saddle
    omit any flour- i don't use it now and it doesn't make any difference
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-25-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post
    4)Rabbit recipes - i love rabbit. I've cooked and eaten all of these as i get fed up with stew. rabbits good in curry too-just replace the amount of chicken with bunny bits
    rabbit rillette (pate) Rabbit recipes | Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall | Life and style | The Guardian amazing
    baked rabbit Coniglio al Forno by Antonio Carluccio really tasty
    sauteed rabbit Sauteed Rabbit nice and fresh tasting
    Rabbit in a Champagne Dijon Mustard Sauce Rabbit in a Champagne Dijon Mustard Sauce fancy entertaining- i use dry sparkling wine
    Rabbit en papillote Rabbit en papillote recipe - All recipes UK really tasty -you can use any meaty piece but there's not enough meat on the saddle
    omit any flour- i don't use it now and it doesn't make any difference
    Now I'm hungry for rabbit. I think I'll try the coniglio al forno recipe tonight. I always thought that rabbit would be too dry cooked in the oven or on the grill.

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    Now I'm hungry for rabbit. I think I'll try the coniglio al forno recipe tonight. I always thought that rabbit would be too dry cooked in the oven or on the grill.
    that recipe is wonderful- rabbit has so little fat that you need to add it for dryer cooking methods.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    cant help you with 2) as we're in the wrong country. 3) & 4) Hunter Angler Gardener Cook i like the recipes here. loads of inspiration. as to #1. dont know about books. it depends on the terrain and the species of deer, season etc.
    That is a fine blog and I'm adding it to my reading list. From his about page the guy sounds pretty Primal to me and I bet he doesn't even know it. He has a nice page on how to cut up a rabbit. Next time I'll buy a whole one.

Salixisme is offline Member
    There is a recipe for Confit of Rabbit leg in Broth in The Whole Beast, nose to tail eating by Fergus Henderson. And in the same book there are several other recipes for game - Jugged Hare, Braised front leg and shoulder of venison, Roast Pigeon and other game birtds,roast quail, roast woodcock, and several for duck.

I also know that there is a recipe for a rabbit curry in Nigella Lawson's feast.... she serves it as part of an Easter menu and calls it Hot Cross Bunny....
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Dr. Seuss

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all. Btw, going to use that confit recipe from the last post in about an hour....I'd put pics up if I thought they wouldn't get moderated out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast