Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to use ghee

Question How to use ghee

Shop Now
    I've been hearing about ghee here, and I saw some at Whole Foods Market and bought it. Now, what do I do with it?

Cook with it as you would any oil. It's just clarified butter. It doesn't taste like butter, though. And it has a higher smoke point than butter. I use it a lot.

Ghee is butter with all the solids removed, so it can withstand much higher temperatures without burning. So I like to use it for sauteing, frying, and the like.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

Does it have health benefits above using butter, or is is only preferable because of the smoke point?

Some say it is preferable due to lower casein/other milk proteins content, even though I think casein is pretty low in butter too.

I didn't like the taste of cooking with pure coconut oil, so I really didn't do it much, now I cook almost everything in coconut ghee, my ratio is about 2 parts coconut oil to one part ghee now but i started 50-50 and increased the coconut oil gradually. I don't know if it is any healthier than cooking with butter which I sometimes still do, but it sure is convenient that coconut ghee does not need refrigeration.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

What is coconut ghee?

I think he means that he mixes ghee with coconut oil to make his own coconut ghee. Am I right, Kev?

I just used ghee. I scrambled my 3 eggs in 1 Tbs. of it. It looked different than melted butter in the pan - more like oil. But it cooked the eggs nicely and the flavor was good. I guess I like it!

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by RSL View Post
    I think he means that he mixes ghee with coconut oil to make his own coconut ghee. Am I right, Kev?
    My local health foodstore sells coconut ghee. I just found that out last night doing a search of thier website. Can't wait to buy some this weekend so I can try it.