Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can someone explain the benefits of coconut? page

dacec is offline Senior Member

Can someone explain the benefits of coconut?

Primal Fuel
    I am lost on coconut.

I use raw coconut oil on occasion....but I read about coconut milk here a lot. I don't get how canned coconut milk is primal or good for you, can someone enlighten me?

suechef is offline Member
    I haven't actually read any primal info on this, but it stands to reason that it's primal - coconuts grow all over the world (in the appropriate latitudes of course), and wherever they grow, people eat them, and always have. Coconuts are easy food. (I have always been an almost obsessive coconut fan, perhaps living in Jamaica as a kid did it, and I used to limit myself because all that fat - now I don't have to, yay!).

btw, just looked on the Nutrition Data website and it says coconut milk is "strongly inflammatory" - anyone know anything about this?

Zophie is offline Senior Member
    Hi there,
    I started using coconut oil and milk to get enough fats. (I was vegan when I first went primal) What I found was, it made all the extra fat my body was hiding just melt off. Whoo hoo! Then I started using the oil on my skin and hair. wow. It is the last beauty product I am ever going to need. I live in the desert and everyone here looks like a piece of jerky..... not me, I just glow.

That is why I love coconut. I bet there are others here that will fill you in on all the scientific reasons it is so wonderful. I would say just try it and you will know if it is for you or not.

Ps. A lot of us here make our own coconut milk. It is pretty easy.

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I use coconut oil on my skin too, with fab results!!

I would be interested in learning more about making the milk...and my question about it being primal was more the processed canned milk, not a fresh coconut.

Thanks for the responses....anyone have anything else to convince me that we should add this to our diet?

AnneArchy is offline Senior Member
    Do people take spoonfulls of coconut oil straight or are you just referring to using it with cooking?

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    i keep seeing people posting that they use coconut oil for skin and hair stuff. i'm interested but it's SO expensive! i can only find it at a health food store and even a small jar is pretty pricey. do ya'll know something i don't know about brands and what to buy?
    i'm interested in the milk as well. question is canned versus carton? i saw some at the store but it had a lot of chemical stuff or added sugar...any suggestions?
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

suechef is offline Member
    Alexa, if you have an East Indian or Caribbean store in your city you can probably find it much, much cheaper.

alexa85 is offline Senior Member
    hmmm, maybe i'll check it out. i live in mobile, al and while we are a pretty big lil city we are still (very) lacking in other areas. i know of several asian markets and after reading your post i thought of checking there b/c it seems like it's a big staple in thai cuisine. next question, does the type that you put in your hair or on your skin have to be the unrefined/cold pressed/extra virgin type?
    also, i checked out tastespotting! thanks for posting that. i've saved all the recipes on making your own almond milk and coconut milk and can't wait to try it.
    i will maintain the truth
    i knew naturally as a child
    i won't forfeit my creativity
    to a world that's all laid out for me
    i'll look at everything around me
    and i will vow to bear in mind
    that all of this was just someone's idea
    it could just as well be mine - ani difranco

Bird Goddess is offline Senior Member
    Mark has written a lot about coconut!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/?x=23&y=16

ColoradoSteve is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I just can't get over the taste, smell, and texture of coconut. I've just never liked it.

<sigh>
    Never, never, never quit! -- Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast