Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing a letter to Big Army and Local/Big Commissary page

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member

Lightbulb Writing a letter to Big Army and Local/Big Commissary

Primal Fuel
    I need your help guys. For a while I have been amassing information and support for writing a couple of letters to both the local commissary, "Big Commissary," and the army dining service.

But I am terribly uncharming. And I can't persuade anyone to do anything. I am more of a behind the scene person. So, Alpha types, I need your help.

THE DINING FACILITIES

This one could also help students with meal plans actually. Clearly, this is going to be a tight budget plan. As much as I would love to see the army leading the way a variety of fresh veg and antibiotic/hormone free/organic meats and dairy at a minimum, I know that's simply not feasible. The issues I really want to see changed are the availability of unprocessed meats, no more margarine or processed vegetable oils, and availability of produce while keeping extra costs to a minimum.

One major issue with the mains is the high level of processing. This seems to be the same wherever I have been (both stateside and abroad). About 40-50% of the time there is not a choice of unprocessed meat (exe: fish with a huge wad of creamy breadcrumbs on top, breaded fried meat, or meatballs in gravy). This would be a simple policy of having at least one unprocessed main per meal.

However, when that unprocessed main is percent, for example the roast chicken, it is often baked in margarine. This is a hard one as I see it, because a lot of the crap food gets dumped in school and the military (go figure, the future and defense of the nation, sorry mini rant over). Here I would have to do some hard convincing against a body that has already publicly sided with "no noticeable effect of health" to see a switch from PUFAs to traditional oils.

THE COMMISSARY

I skipped straight here because I can combine the last bit of the DFAC and the commissary. Being overseas is definitely worse for produce availability in both places. I think the reason is because all the food sold on post has to be USDA checked. The KATUSA snack bar is labeled "eat at your own risk." Seriously. So again, price here is a major concern.

The biggest problem I see here is reliability and availability, which are both hard when you are having to have food flown or shipped in. A lot of the produce isn't very good. I have picked up numerous rotten tomatoes, soggy greens, and even winter squash with mold all over it. One thing I could see to alleviate this is buying local, and we do actually have a single shelf of local foods. My first goal would be to see that expanded, but again, USDA might be tough.

Another thing I would like to see, and I feel is possible here because the commissary is at least mostly an independent company from the tax dependent DFAC, is hormone free/antibiotic free, organic, and pastured goods. We do actually have a small (and frequently out of stock) selection of pastured dairy and butter (eek! It's so good). We also have a couple of local chickens which are by Korean law not allowed to have antibiotics or hormones in the feed. Last winter, we got New Zealand lamb which is usually grass fed. It was pure joy. I would like to see more of that.

Those are my basic goals: less processed crap, no more processed vegetable oils, fresher produce, and availability of hormone/antibiotic free animal products (pastured/organic would be stellar but I'm okay with baby steps). The bonuses would be the fitter force the army is always hooting after, less chronic disease for you all lovely people to pay for. The cost, updating the DFAC menus, getting new suppliers, and more careful planning.

I will post the information I plan on using and drafting up the letters here for you all to go over. From what I know of army style planning, if they aren't handed a complete, specific, step by step plan with dates and all, they won't even look at it, so if anyone has any experience with this stuff, feel free to help as much as you want. I'll need it.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    War Is A Racket, by Major General Smedley Butler, 1935

war-is-a-racket-general-smedley-butler-USMC.gif

but war is a racket- the contractors selling the food are friendly with the men apportioning the public funds. It is not about anything you are going to address in your letter.

You might have some luck if you stuff the envelope containing the letter with $100 bills.
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Perfidy View Post
    War Is A Racket, by Major General Smedley Butler, 1935

war-is-a-racket-general-smedley-butler-USMC.gif

but war is a racket- the contractors selling the food are friendly with the men apportioning the public funds. It is not about anything you are going to address in your letter.

You might have some luck if you stuff the envelope containing the letter with $100 bills.
    Haha yeah I really have no hope other than being an annoyance.

But then again I am an annoying person.

Mr.Perfidy is offline Senior Member
    If you want to annoy them, then you should disperse copies of General Butler's book like johnny appleseed
    "Ah, those endless forests, and their horror-haunted gloom! For what eternities have I wandered through them, a timid, hunted creature, starting at the least sound, frightened of my own shadow, keyed-up, ever alert and vigilant, ready on the instant to dash away in mad flight for my life. For I was the prey of all manner of fierce life that dwelt in the forest, and it was in ecstasies of fear that I fled before the hunting monsters."

Jack london, "Before Adam"

Danni is offline Junior Member
    You can, supposedly, request that they carry items at your commissary by contacting the commissary's store director. I haven't tried, as we live too far off-post to bother driving there to buy sketchy-looking meat or try to pick through the pathetic veggie selection even if they would get items I requested. I'd rather eat Walmart meat than the stuff they sell at the commissary here. And we live in the states too.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.perfidy View Post
    if you want to annoy them, then you should disperse copies of general butler's book like johnny appleseed
    free copies for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Danni View Post
    You can, supposedly, request that they carry items at your commissary by contacting the commissary's store director. I haven't tried, as we live too far off-post to bother driving there to buy sketchy-looking meat or try to pick through the pathetic veggie selection even if they would get items I requested. I'd rather eat Walmart meat than the stuff they sell at the commissary here. And we live in the states too.
    I did get a chance to talk with our store manager. I know I plan on writing two letters for the commissary, one to our local store and one to the biggest supplier I can find. I guess US Foods or whoever they are. Our director seems like a really nice lady, so hopefully if I can get some help with fine tuning we can work something out.

I am in the opposite bunch where the next closest place to buy equally suspicious though at least antibiotic/hormone free is a twenty minute bus ride to the Korean market. I know there is are people willing to buy good food (you should see the way the coconut oil flies from the shelves; you literally had to be lucky and snap it up within two weeks). It would help if it were easier for us to get to though.

So as far as the information I wanted to put into the commissary letter, I found this article awhile back. http://chriskresser.com/why-grass-fed-trumps-grain-fed

I also found a few NIH articles that I can pull from. Specifics to follow... As far as bringing in more meats its really going to take a lot of planning. And I don't really know how willing they are to do that, even though they already do for a few things like the NZ lamb. I am also not sure how to approach the antibiotics because of the government's stance on them being harmless. I still feel there's a market for both, and even if it's small, at least we would have the choice and the demand.

I walked by as they were unloading the sodas yesterday into a spare crate the size of a semi trailer. We may get rotten tomatoes but god forbid we run out of coca cola. That just wouldn't be American! 2x face palm combo.

gomezera is offline Junior Member
    yes.it have some luck if you stuff the envelope containing the letter with $100 bills.

PrimalCon New York
    Shenanigans and I have had to eat at the dining facility this week. I feel like I'm about to spew greasy half digested food, and my stomach is bloated up like a balloon. And this is from the beef and broccoli. Whut?

I was thinking of ways to get around the cheapo oils without saying switch to good (non excess grain/soy eating) fats. I think using the concept of give us an option of simple, steamed protein and veg each day, then let the soldiers decide if they want to cover it in cheap margarine could play into the overweight problem. That way, it can look like a "normal CW" healthy decision by whatever commander wants to snap that one up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast