Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Writing a letter to Big Army and Local/Big Commissary page 2

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    An acquaintance of mine had some success by claiming that the contractors providing meals at his base were not meeting the terms of their contract by not adhering to the Army's requirements about nutrition and variety or something. I forgot exactly what it was about, but he gained about 40 pounds in two years eating at that chow hall.

Start with the regs, at least as far as the DFAC goes.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I don't buy much at our (stateside) commissary. The meat is CAFO and the produce is old; it goes bad within a day or two. And I don't care what they say, it's NOT cheaper than off-base, unless maybe they're basing that on the price for cat litter and dog food.

Good luck with writing the commissary and dining facility folks. I can't see that much will be changed, it all comes down to $$ and the crap "food" is cheapest. I'd recommend that you send copies of those letters to your government representatives. Not that our gov't reps do much, but sometimes they'll jump through hoops for military folks.

Do you have to eat in the mess hall? Can you get something from a military doc that will let you out of that? I'm sure there are people with allergies or other food sensitivities that don't have to eat in the dining facility.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    Do you have to eat in the mess hall? Can you get something from a military doc that will let you out of that? I'm sure there are people with allergies or other food sensitivities that don't have to eat in the dining facility.
    Yeah, my buddy got a doctor's note saying he did not have to eat in the DFAC in Korea. They stopped taking the food money out of his check and he went out and bought his own food (frozen pizza but eh, what can you do?)
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yeah, my buddy got a doctor's note saying he did not have to eat in the DFAC in Korea. They stopped taking the food money out of his check and he went out and bought his own food (frozen pizza but eh, what can you do?)
    (Thanks guys for the constructive comments)

Gah we used to get separate rations, but due to sequestration, they took those away even for shift workers who work during DFAC hours and nights. I'm still sort of shocked at this.

I would LOVE a doctor's note, but my unit sucks lol. And the TMC. Obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I don't buy much at our (stateside) commissary. The meat is CAFO and the produce is old; it goes bad within a day or two. And I don't care what they say, it's NOT cheaper than off-base, unless maybe they're basing that on the price for cat litter and dog food.

Good luck with writing the commissary and dining facility folks. I can't see that much will be changed, it all comes down to $$ and the crap "food" is cheapest. I'd recommend that you send copies of those letters to your government representatives. Not that our gov't reps do much, but sometimes they'll jump through hoops for military folks.

I have problems with food going bad so fast. I basically only buy my milk (whole pastured whut?! But it's out of stock often, haven't had butter in a month), and frozen veg and fruit, garlic, coconut milk... Stuff that I don't want ten of from the economy and lasts. I buy most of my meat in the markets regardless of the cost (you can bet when the NZ lamb shows up I'm all over that... Where is it this year commissary??)

You guys are right, the commissary is hella expensive and low quality. It just bugs me and the stoopid idealist in me can't let it be for long. I'd like to support it if only the quality was better. :/:

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    An acquaintance of mine had some success by claiming that the contractors providing meals at his base were not meeting the terms of their contract by not adhering to the Army's requirements about nutrition and variety or something. I forgot exactly what it was about, but he gained about 40 pounds in two years eating at that chow hall.

Start with the regs, at least as far as the DFAC goes.
    Nice, I'll try to find regs on that. (Why are regs so hard to find?!)

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    I would LOVE a doctor's note, but my unit sucks lol. And the TMC. Obviously.
    He was getting sick at the DFAC so went the vegetarian for health and moral reasons route. Consulted with the chaplain and with the doctor to explain his side. In his defense he did eat vegetarian (if you consider cheese pizza, bean burritos etc. food). Now he eats meat like the best of them.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    He was getting sick at the DFAC so went the vegetarian for health and moral reasons route. Consulted with the chaplain and with the doctor to explain his side. In his defense he did eat vegetarian (if you consider cheese pizza, bean burritos etc. food). Now he eats meat like the best of them.
    Lol I have considered the Chaplain as possible help in things before. I had a great one at AIT, basically the only person who didn't think I was making up being constantly sick (shitty weather + shitty diet at the time + tons of stress and they wonder why *everyone* was always sick. I just got it worse; probably had a compromised immune system or gut or something).

I have finally added minor wheat allergy at my last PHA, though when explaining to the doctor my symptoms are some fierce cystic acne and bloating, she said "that's not minor!" Other doctors don't believe me (even though you can still see the scars and I still get it every time I get glutened), so who knows if I could possibly play that angle.

Probably not lol, knowing the army.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Hey, RR - Are you actually at Camp Humphreys or where are you stationed?

Ggg I do sort of attempt to not say exactly where I am,* though I'm a very honest person so I think it's a bit obvious. Suffice it to say I'm in central Korea within an acceptable distance of an airbase with a nice bar hopping ville.

(*damn OPSEC, stalkers, and NSA posing as creepy old men posing as nice primal men...)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast