Thread: Bone Broth? page

GameKeeper55 is offline Junior Member

Bone Broth?

I see several comments and recipes for beef broth and chicken broth, but where do you get the bones?

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i use left over bones from roasts. or you can get bones in the pet food section of our supermarkets. i also use bones from game animals we've hunted. you can also get fish frames from some fish shops.

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Any grocery store. I walked over to Albertsons and grabbed 6 lbs of chicken wings on sale and 2 lbs of beef marrow bones. Or..if you roast a whole chicken, save the bones. Or..ask your butcher if he has any necks, backs or beef bones. Or..buy whole chickens and cut the backs out and save them until you have enough. I also save carrot peels (from organic carrots), onion and celery scraps in my freezer. I like the challenge of using all backs and wings and carcass from whole chickens I buy to roast. I usually have to buy beef bones. I have 2 slow cookers on my deck both with bone broth bubbling away.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    What's the significance of using backs from chickens? Something about those particular bones, or just thrift?

M.

Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    What's the significance of using backs from chickens? Something about those particular bones, or just thrift?

M.
    Just thrift. I have noticed I get more of a gelatinous broth when wings are involved but I like buying whole chickens, cutting the backs and eingtips off before cooking and throwing those in a freezer bag.

Paleobird Guest
    Go to an asian supermarket and ask for chicken feet. If you are not asian, they may look at you a little weird but feet make the best broth. It's all the connective tissue.

MEversbergII is online now Senior Member
    I happen to live around four of them...I'll check it out.

M.

piggy is online now Senior Member
    I have had the best results with carcasses from roasted chicken or duck. Just shimmer them for two hours . . .
    Chicken feet also make good broth.

My dad used to make broth with the insides of a pork belly and pork feet . . I could not even smell it but a lot of people swear by it . .

Sent from my Nexus 4

Az lish is offline Junior Member
    I'm sure it's best, but does it really matter if the bones are pastured or grass-fed? I can get all kinds of funky bones at a local store, but none are even organic.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Az lish View Post
    I'm sure it's best, but does it really matter if the bones are pastured or grass-fed? I can get all kinds of funky bones at a local store, but none are even organic.
    You just have to do the best you can do. Just chill it and peel the fat off of it the next day since most of the toxins live in the fat.