Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: calorie studies page

wbsgn12 is offline Junior Member

calorie studies

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone offer evidence of scientific studies invalidating the "a calorie is a calorie" school of thought?

Basically, I became interested in paleo because I thought that I wouldn't need to count calories any more in order to lose weight. Or that I could at least count carbs instead (much less stressful)...I don't even eat pork or nuts btw, I just still (from anecdotal experiences) cannot submit myself to the notion that long-run weight loss does not necessarily involve caloric restriction.

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    The great thing about Paleo is that restricting food choices (and often times, cutting carbohydrates) causes one to spontaneously reduce caloric intake.

I'm sure most on the forum would call me a CICO guy, and I am, but obviously CICO is not where it stops, and there's much more to the equation than just calories consumed and calories burned. This post by Lyle McDonald explains the energy balance equation quite well: The Energy Balance Equation | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    I do not count calories, at all. And honestly I feel wonderful and really do like what the primal life does for my physique. As long as you eat nutrient DENSE, healthy foods, you don't need to count calories.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    A troll on this forum said only a few month ago that if a person had a 3500 calorie deficit, that person would lose 1 pound, and if that person had a 3500 excess, that person would gain 1 pound. Exactly 1 pound, every time, no matter who they were, age, gender, state of health. And if they claimed they didn't, they were lying, delusional. Probably lazy gluttons. That's the dark side of CICO. Are you sure you want to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by eKatherine View Post
    A troll on this forum said only a few month ago that if a person had a 3500 calorie deficit, that person would lose 1 pound, and if that person had a 3500 excess, that person would gain 1 pound. Exactly 1 pound, every time, no matter who they were, age, gender, state of health. And if they claimed they didn't, they were lying, delusional. Probably lazy gluttons. That's the dark side of CICO. Are you sure you want to go there?
    Seriously, why do you have to do this? Why do you have to take every situation to it's ridiculous extremes?

Your posts never add anything of substance, just gibberish that's not even relevant to the topic.

/Mini Rant

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbsgn12 View Post
    Can anyone offer evidence of scientific studies invalidating the "a calorie is a calorie" school of thought?
    Here's one. Plus of course, the inaccuracy of food labels. And of courser, the greater thermic effect of protein.

Why is it obvious that our body extracts energy from food the same way a bomb calorimiter burns it? Does a petrol car run as efficiently on diesal as petrol?

Quote Originally Posted by wbsgn12 View Post
    Basically, I became interested in paleo because I thought that I wouldn't need to count calories any more in order to lose weight. Or that I could at least count carbs instead (much less stressful)...I don't even eat pork or nuts btw, I just still (from anecdotal experiences) cannot submit myself to the notion that long-run weight loss does not necessarily involve caloric restriction.
    Is the problem calorie restriction or being hungry while calorie restricting?

Because eating high satiety foods means you can have the best of both worlds....
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    No studies, but it's plain to see that ubiquitous calorie labels and databases did nothing to slow the increase of obesity. How did previous generations survive without them?

FWIW I've been maintaining a 30% loss for years and at no point during or since did I attempt to tally CI or CO. If I did, I'd still need to translate the numbers into an addition or subtraction of a whole food so why not just skip that step? As a description CICO is a tautology--there's nothing to discuss. As a prescription for control it just doesn't seem to deliver for the population who need it. Not once have I met an overweight person who doesn't understand calorie deficits.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

Just so we're clear: are you asking about calories in, calories out or the claim that "all calories are created equal". These are two completely different arguments.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakejoh10 View Post
    Just so we're clear: are you asking about calories in, calories out or the claim that "all calories are created equal". These are two completely different arguments.
    I think that 'calories in, calories out' contains within it the assumption that 'all calories are created equal'.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

peril is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast