Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member

Thumbs up Jac's back - the next 10 years

Primal Fuel
    I started primal over 2 years ago, looking for answers to low energy, low mood, IBS, and overweight. I've tried basic primal, and then variations including Robb Wolf's autoimmune paleo, low carb, very low carb, ketosis, GAPS, FODMAPS, intermittent fasting, increasing coconut oil, and the Perfect Health Diet. I've gained some measure of control over the IBS, and lost about 10kgs - which leaves me, 30 months later, with mood and energy issues, IBS, and still at least 20kg over-fat. Hmmmmm .

This morning I finally went to an integrated medical practitioner. These folk are rare as hen's teeth in NZ, and it's been a 4 month wait to get in. He took a very long history, and prior to my appointment he had done some bloods and urine testing. He also uses applied kinesiology. Oh my fucking god. He pulled together all the little random things that have plagued me since I was a kid - even to the point where he was predicting my answers to his more detailed questions (like spots in front of my eyes, and waking with anxiety at night). I FINALLY feel like I have a plan .

We talked about my adventures with primal, and the various things I've done that have helped. His perspective on that was that most things will help, but without a focus on healing the underlying factors then things will flare up again.

Findings:
    • absolute grain intolerance, including buckwheat. Rice is OK
    • leaky gut
    • candida

He thinks the grain intolerance is a lifelong issue that has led to the leaky gut - and therefore it has been a factor in my health from childhood. He ties it in to the candida, but also to thyroid and adrenal problems, high rT3, excess eostrogen (which led to endometriosis, for which I had a total hysterectomy 10 years ago), exercise intolerance r/t muscle pain and exhaustion, and the appearance of malnutrition.

He drew a picture that started with the ingestion of grains, moved to the development of leaky gut, and then had all these arrows that progressed through various stages and mostly ended up pointing to a box that said 'fat storage'.

I was diagnosed years ago with lactose intolerance (using the Roman scale - nothing more scientific than that), but this Dr reckons that I will find that once the gut starts to heal then I don't have that at all.

Right - I'm feeling validated and very hopeful, but I retain a small amount of healthy scepticism . Hence my new journal. This is my third one here! I want to track my progress.

The plan has several phases. The first one is to start supporting the gut to absorb protein so my cells actually get the nutrients I so carefully eat, while reducing inflammation and eliminating the candida. My diet is looking like a very clean primal diet with no fruit - that's something I'm familiar with, even though I've let the 80% move more to about 60% lately. So here it is:

• primal diet, no fruit or 'cheat' sweeteners like maple syrup or stevia
    • protein shake daily: rice and pea proteins and MCTs
    • trace minerals: zinc, potassium, selenium
    • parex: antifungal, antiparasitic, antimicrobial
    • omega 3: 4g/day
    • digestive enzymes: amylase, protease, lipase, tilactase, cellulase, bromelains

I go back in 10 days to see if there has been enough progress to add a thyroid support supplement - apparently there's no point doing it now as it wouldn't be absorbed. Then I'm back towards the end of August for another workup.

Currently I'm bloated in the gut, taking neurophen most days for pain, low mood, low energy, giving in to sugar cravings on a daily basis, dry lips, and puffy in the fingers, feet and face. Watch this space
    Last edited by Jac; 08-03-2013 at 07:43 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jac! welcome back!! why is my cat on your avatar lol i'm pleased you are getting some answers and have a plan. there's no one like that down here so i am jealous. i just have to guess what to do next. hopefully you will start to feel better soon.

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Happy see you back, Jac. I've been wondering how you were doing.

Your new practitioner sounds like a huge find. The plan sounds solid, hopefully you will finally find resolution of your health issues.

I'll be back!

Jac
    Haha - you have a huge fluffy monster at your place too?? He's a ragdoll - I love him to bits!

I don't know how long this guy has been around - he was very entertained by the idea that I found him on google, lol. I'm trying to work up the courage to try that protein shake for lunch - I'm too scared to add it to milk, can't have fruit juice, so it'll have to be water. Potential for gagging is high
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Greensprout View Post
    Happy see you back, Jac. I've been wondering how you were doing.

Your new practitioner sounds like a huge find. The plan sounds solid, hopefully you will finally find resolution of your health issues.

I'll be back!
    Hi GS - thanks for noticing that I'd gone!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Haha - you have a huge fluffy monster at your place too?? He's a ragdoll - I love him to bits!
    ours is a siamese ragdoll cross. she is awesome. she looks like a birman and has that basil brush fluffy tail. her mum was a blue pointed siamese and her dad a blue mitted ragdoll. she used to have the most unreal kittens but i got her neutered so as she could go range outdoors. there were way too many unsuitable boyfriends out there otherwise and her suitable boyfriend mysteriously disappeared.

2 funny you found that man via google lol hold your nose while you drink the shake. it should work!

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Nice to see you back, Jac. I used to follow your previous journal. Good luck with your new journey! Sounds like a great plan.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Nice to see you back, Jac. I used to follow your previous journal. Good luck with your new journey! Sounds like a great plan.
    it's great to be back! Still have tat envy when I see your avatar . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, Jac. So glad you have found such good support, here's hoping you can get the shake down and it's absorbed brilliantly. All the best on your journey to health.

Jac
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Fast post, as I'm heading for home (busy day!). I have more test results in, showing moderate adrenal fatigue and ileo caecal valve problems - I haven't looked that one up yet. They're both to be tackled once the leaky gut is on the mend.

The shake was like vaguely vanilla flavoured water topped up with sand . It's palatable, but awful at the same time. 24 hours in, now - I'll do a better post tomorrow!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast