Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 9

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Jac, I just found you mentioning leaky gut in another thread & thought I'd poke around. Your progress with healing the leaky gut is very encouraging! I'm self-diagnosed (with leaky gut & IBS-C), but probably gong back to my holistic doctor next month for more testing/complaining. I have joint pain from excess sugar & break out in pimples usually, and starches give me bad gas and make the constipation worse. Magnesium citrate is the only thing working for me right now for motility . If this doc doesn't have any more answers for me, I'm going to have to save up for a naturopath.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Hi nameless! Yeah, this is my third PB journal - pretty much one per year from when I started trying to heal myself. I've experimented with almost all the protocols here, but have had very limited success. This time it's like all the pieces of the jigsaw are coming together at the same time, and it's great . My doctor said that everything I did was really useful, and probably without primal I'd have moved into chronic fatigue by now, but the mega supplementation along with the food is what's making the difference now. When I first went to him I had reactions to heaps of foods, but now it's only gluten that's left. He thinks in a year or so I'll be able to relax about the gluten as long as I don't have it frequently.

The difference I've found with this doctor is that he totally believes that the body can heal itself, so his position is that it should also be able to manage all the toxins we are exposed to. He's had a really strong focus on all the elimination organs - gut, kidneys and liver - to get me back into balance. I didn't really think it was possible, and inside I'm still a bit skeptical! I'm waiting to see if the weightloss programme works.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Things are going pretty well. I'm still eating sugar though. I go on the prescribed diet next Thursday, so I'm not sweating it til after the weekend. Then detox from it, do the diet, and have a plan for staying off it once the diet phase is over. I'm impatient for the diet to start - which is a good space to be in, I think.

The good stuff - I'm energetic, calm, focused, and laughing. I'm also sleeping OK, although we're in that funny season where the winter blankets are way hot, and it's not warm enough for the summer blanket. I keep waking up to throw them off, and then pull them over me again. There's gotta be a better way, lol. I'm also getting more interested in exercise - which is a good indicator that my energy levels are up.

We've been taking both dogs to obedience classes, and I'm absolutely delighted that I've been able to get our older hound to sit!! It's not comfortable for her, so I don't ask her to do it for long, and she's been actively trained NOT to sit, so this is a real milestone. Makes me feel like a champion dog trainer
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    This morning I got both dogs to sit before I fed them. It wasn't a fast process, lol. But they did it.

Working at home today - it's raining again, and not at all warm. Still feeling good. I've ordered a swiss ball and a balance board from trademe - was hoping to get at least one of them today, but I guess it's going to be next week. I'm going to take the swiss ball to work, to sit on at my desk and to use against the wall for squats. I need to get up and move around more, so that's the perfect place for it. Not sure about the balance ball - I'll have to see how it works on carpet. The living room could be good for that one.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Jac, perhaps you can join my Movember challenge!!!!

Well done on the dog training. I always make my two sit and "wait" before they can have food. Once they get the ok its like wathcing a vacuum cleaner

Jac
    Hmmm - not sure about Movember, depends on the diet and how energetic I am. I'll know soon!

The dogs sitting is a huge achievement for all of us . They're actually taught not to sit for their racing lives, and their hindquarters are so muscly that it's not comfortable for them at all. I don't ask them to do it for any length of time, just a few moments is fine. We're getting the hang of 'down' as well, from a stand rather than a sit. It is funny, though, when we're eating and turn around to see the dogs sitting and waiting for a reward. Sorry girls, it doesn't work that way!!

Had a truly crap weekend. I'm pretty positive it was from dairy!! Aching joints, stomach ache, constipation, brain fuzz. I also had gluten, though, the weekend before. I think there's a cross-reactivity there - if I'm totally grain free, I can eat some dairy, but if I've had gluten it makes my gut inefficient and therefore I can't digest dairy. I had wine, too. Not good at all.

Tony has decided he's going to do the diet with me. He is probably about 10-15kgs over his best weight, and tends to lose it easily when he chooses to. One of my worries was how I'd cope with all the little extras he brings into the house, like heaps of fruit, iced tea etc. Hopefully it'll work for him, and then he'll stay supportive when he's lost all his weight and I've still got a bucket load to go.

I was reading this morning about the process of metabolic healing, and about the expectation of weight gain and sugar cravings while it happens. I found out that the time it takes for thyroid and adrenal hormones to increase, and insulin resistance to decrease, is when it's logical for the body to store fat. Once the hormones go to their healthy levels, weight loss starts to happen. Interesting stuff. Rather than waiting for it to 'just happen' though, it is useful to push a bit so the insulin sensitivity improves faster. God, I really hope this is a healing thing - otherwise even if I do lose weight I'll just gain it again. I keep flashing back to the 'microdiet' when I had only these horrible diet drinks for over 2 weeks and I didn't lose a single ounce.

So now I'm waiting to feel healthy again after messing up, and waiting to start the diet, and waiting for my swiss ball and balance board to arrive . . . and waiting for summer to arrive as well!! I guess I could do some work while I wait
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    OK, here I go. I have the drops and the instructions. Today is day 1 - today and tomorrow I load on high fat and calorically dense foods. I weighed in at 99.4kg on the surgery scales this morning - that's horrible, and is about 14kg heavier than I got on the ketosis diet . I cried.

I gave the nurse a pretty hard time this morning. Then I eased off, because her understanding of the programme just isn't at the level I need. I bought a book by Shaun Watson, an Australian naturopath, who is the author of the programme and he sells his own product. I get it. I don't necessarily believe it, but I get it. There is a huge focus on the period of time immediately after the low calorie diet, and an equally big focus on lifetime eating to maintain health afterwards. It's all very paleo, so I can quite easily imagine my lifetime eating. What I can't imagine is the getting there.

They have these horribly exposing scales. They involve 4 footpads and 2 handheld thingies, and showed my weight, body fat percentage of 49.4% (sob), total body water of 37.9% (it should be closer to 60%, so I'm quite dehydrated), visceral body fat of 13 (I don't know if that's a percentage - but it's just in the high risk range for metabolic disorders), muscle mass of 47.8 (again, not sure quite what this is, but it's to measure changes over time rather than an absolute), bone mass of 2.5kg (light for my weight, but would be perfect if I weighed around 70kg), a bmr of just over 1500cal (good to know for maintenance) and a metabolic age of 65 years. fuck.

The diet is for anything between 21 and 40 days - yeah, I'll be on the 40 days. It's possible to lose between 10 and 15 kgs in that time, and I have to stop the diet if I lose 15kgs and go onto maintenance. Maintenance is the same amount of time as the diet, and involves higher fat and more protein, but no starches.

The actual diet is 2 meals a day (but they can be split into 4 smaller meals if I want). Each meal is 100g of lean meat, one type of low/no carb vege from a specified list, one rice cracker (the only gluten free option), and an apple, handful of strawberries, orange or 1/2 grapefruit. No added fat, but no restrictions on spices etc. Apple cider vinegar is allowed. The total for the day is 500 calories.

The idea of the drops is that they shift the hard-to-mobilise brown fat stores from belly, ass, thighs, rather than the easily accessible subcutaneous fat. The diet is planned so that there is just enough protein to spare muscle mass but not enough for energy.

I will weigh myself every morning, and I think I might do blood ketosis measurements as well (because I'm very curious about how this works). I'm expecting to be hungry for the first couple of days - perhaps until ketosis kicks in???
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Greensprout is offline Senior Member
    Wow, Jac, that all sounds pretty damn extreme. I hope it works for you. You've come a long way in healing, wishing you much success in the next phase.

Jac
    Thanks GS . I'm glad I don't have a really popular journal, since there will be plenty of people who don't agree with what I'm doing . . . but it's lovely to have people like you and seas comment on the healing. It puts me in a different place, mentally, where I can see the difference between the sick and confused start to this journey and where I am now. I was taking anti-inflammatories just to survive, several times a day. So yeah, this is extreme but it feels positive.

I weighed in this morning at 97kg. I've just had creamed rice for breakfast - I used to crave this stuff, but I don't think it will stay on my list of memorable foods! Today I need to shop for the diet food - this is not going to be an expensive shop, lol. Rump steak, chicken breast, lamb steak, rice crackers and leafy greens. I'm pleased that the first 2 days of the diet will be the weekend, so hopefully by the time I go back to work the hunger pangs will be gone and I'll be in ketosis. The last day of doing this is 27 November, which means I'm in the high fat, more protein phase for Christmas day - excellent .

I've been reading the motivational pics thread, and there are all these women who are around my age doing chin-ups, hikes, handstands etc. Every step towards getting healthy is a step closer to being able to do something like this for myself.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Hi Jac. I wish you well on the diet. that sounds like so little food to me. but then i do exercise alot. i know the time before last that i stuffed my ankle, i just lay in bed for a week and drunk coffee and took painkillers. i wasnt hungry so i hardly ate a thing and i lost about 5kgs. so hunger i think is often related to activity level and also proximity to the pantry.

I've been reading the motivational pics thread, and there are all these women who are around my age doing chin-ups, hikes, handstands etc. Every step towards getting healthy is a step closer to being able to do something like this for myself.
    the world is your oyster!

Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast