Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 8

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Jac have you tried chromium supplementation? my naturopath years ago in my vegan days gave it to me to help with sugar cravings. i recently got some carnitine which has chromium in and i have avoided chocolate and even said no to desert whilst away on holiday. and i wasnt being self righteous, i just didnt truly feel like it.

The peat stuff is interesting. not sure about all that sugar, fruit or honey maybe, but i can say i have made my best gains at the gym when i have had hummingbird days the day before. eg my first chinup or my 87.5kg deadlift. and i also was at my leanest before i got into conciously being low carb and i had way more energy. i am the disaster low carb poster child the peaties speak of in terms of being all good and slowly losing energy and gaining weight on low carb so i do know it happens. and it wasnt coz i wasnt good enuf at being low carb or paleo either. i also like the fact peat is not into grains or nuts but he is into coffee

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Actually that's a good reminder - I used to take chromium and it worked. I keep thinking that if this really is an endocrine issue that the cravings must surely go away. And if I'm now almost healthy enough to start the weight loss phase, why do I still have the cravings??

I'm quite nervous about the low carb thing, but I guess if I'm doing it for short bursts under medical supervision . . . last time I started really well, then over the course of a couple of weeks I got less and less energetic and ended up really miserable.

Now coffee - I never really got the hang of drinking it! It makes my heart jump around, interfering with sleep, and gives me the jitters, as well as tasting awful. I do love the smell though, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

last time I started really well, then over the course of a couple of weeks I got less and less energetic and ended up really miserable.
    this is what happens to me. 2 weeks and it is all over. i started noticing tho that i exercise too much and all the VLC peeps who say it works for them tend not to exercise that much so maybe there is a clue there. since i exercise coz i like it and the dog needs to walk, not coz i want to lose weight, i definitely need to keep onto it.

i used to get heart palpitations from those cutting pills with 150mg of caffeine in and poss some now banned substances. it was a long time ago. according to the peaties, you put sugar in your coffee to blunt the cortisol effect on your adrenals. since i dont like sugar in my coffee and milk apparently spikes your insulin more than bread, i stick with lattes. caffeine has never stopped me sleeping.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    according to the peaties, you put sugar in your coffee to blunt the cortisol effect on your adrenals
    Yeah, now that just seems stupid to me! Sugar adds stress to the adrenals too, and uses up vitamin B to counteract the stress - how can that be good for you??

I came back in also to say that this isn't a binge issue for me - it's just a constant niggle that I'd rather not have. (my idea of bingeing is to have 2 of those mini chocolate bars, which is quite bad enough).
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

yes i am not entirely convinced that sugar is good for me. plus i have to say everyone i know who eats lots of sugar, even if they are skinny, hasnt aged well. maybe it's really the PUFAs they are eating with the sugar but everyone else eats them too. mine is definitely a binge issue. not a constant niggle. i could eat a whole big bar of chocolate when i wanted to. and it would make me feel very sick lol

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac View Post
    Now coffee - I never really got the hang of drinking it! It makes my heart jump around, interfering with sleep, and gives me the jitters, as well as tasting awful. I do love the smell though, lol.
    +1

Jac
    So I finally did the sensible thing . I emailed my doctor last night to ask about the sugar thing. I had expected that the desire/need/cravings for sugar would resolve as I 'progressed' and was disappointed that it wasn't happening. Turns out that I was supposed to still be taking the adrenal/thyroid supplement, which ran out about 10 days ago. Why, I had to ask, did he give me a 2 week supply and then an appointment in 6 weeks?? I assumed it was one of the 'short course' supplements but apparently not.

When I look back, when I was taking the supplement I was feeling good. Very unstressed, happy, and not overly interested in non-nutritious food. Sigh. He's posting me out some more, and I stay on them for the foreseeable future. He is still confident that the cravings will resolve as I get better.

He also asked how I was, and in replying I realised that stomach aches aren't a part of my daily landscape any more!! I can't remember the last time I took any pain relief of any sort .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Ahhh, the report is almost finished!! What a bizarre way to spend my weekend . . . but next weekend I'll take Friday off as well, and I have nothing major planned.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Back for another check-up today. But to back it up a little bit, I decided to do a bit of experimenting over the last week.

Alcohol (cider) - aching joints and puffiness in all joints and belly for a couple of days after.

Dairy - nothing. Not a twinge, not a spasm.

Rice - bloated belly and that's all.

Fruit - a bit of lower belly griping if I have too much.

Onion - gas but nothing else

Nuts - nothing

Caffeine - palpitations and jitters - not worth it

Grains - this was only some breadcrumbs around some rice appetisers, and I was up half the night with belly pains and gas. I needed pain relief to get any rest at all. Buckwheat, oats etc are all fine.

Back to the appointment today: I was retested for grains and corn, and I was fine on all of them except for gluten. I still get a really strong allergy reaction to the stuff.

Oestrogen is back where it should be, thyroid and adrenals are still under par but lots better than they were. So I have no new supplements (yaaaay), and can stop the mega B. I'm on the protein supplement, adaptan, probiotic and digestive enzymes fairly long term - maybe another year but definitely at least another few months. Oh, and O3 as well. Vit D levels are good.

I have an appointment with the nurse for next Thursday to start the diet. Steve reckons that the next level of health requires the weight loss, and now that I'm not toxic/inflamed any more I should get good success at it. I go back to him for the next checkup in 3 months.

It's time to kick the sugar habit. I definitely don't want to start the diet with a sugar crash, so . . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Not much to add today. I'm working on reducing the pain I get when I walk, and also want to build up my glutes and thighs to improve my balance. It's not that I can't balance, but it's like my body doesn't access the right muscles automatically so it's harder to stand on one leg or climb ladders. Plus I don't want to lose my butt when I lose weight . The sight of friends who've lost weight and don't fill out a pair of jeans any more is just plain sad.

In other news - we're finally finishing the house reno! We did the kitchen and main bathroom when we moved in 3 years ago, then the bedrooms, ensuite and lounge last year (huuuuge project), and now have started the dining room and hall. Then the inside will be fully updated and decorated. The first job was pulling down a huge chimney and hearth - all done.

I've been watching The Block - a reno competition based in Auckland - and feel jealous of the amount of money they're spending. Last week it was around $60k for the kitchen and dining!! Holy crap, that's almost my total budget for the house! Mind you, I don't get to update the furniture or appliances, much less add 'art work' to the rooms. The structural work and painting etc has to be done first, then maybe some new furniture when the sales are on. At the same time, we've tamed our garden . Now we can add new gardens and quirky things to the outside, because most of the big weeds are out and the pruning is finally done. It took about 6 truckloads to get rid of it all over the last 3 years!
    Last edited by Jac; 10-07-2013 at 02:12 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast