Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 6

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Lol, Annie - I just read your post on the ideal bodyweight/food thread - I can't even conceive of getting below 70kg - and I'm only 5'5.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    That's ok, it's not about comparing with each other, I just wanted to encourage you I've come to believe that it's really not about weight at all, but health. Even though - and I am not ashamed to admit it - I found this when I was trying to lose weight. I just never dreamed it would solve so many other issues as well, problems I didn't even realise I had or if I did, didn't realise they were solvable so simply and mainly with a dietary change (exercise helps, but not alone). That's why I think (and hope) someone with more longstanding and serious issues such as yours will likely experience even greater improvements.

Jac
    Thanks Annie . I did say to the doctor that if I can get healthy then I don't care about the weight - he was all 'no, it'll be easy at the right time'.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

yeah, that's very cool of him.

Jac
    Another few days have gone by . . . I've been away from home teaching. I've actually coped better this time than the last 3 years I've done this 'away' gig . Kept my sense of humour, slept fine, not stressed about food. I'm still 110% grain/corn etc free.

I ended up stopping the detox powder while I was away - it was causing headaches and nausea, and when I emailed my doctor to see what to do about it, he said stop it. However, it has a purpose, and after getting some relief from the nausea I told him I'm willing to go back on it. I think I'll try having it at night, so perhaps the worst of the symptoms will happen while I'm asleep. It's a very time limited thing, so if necessary I'll just tough it out. If I get too bad, I'll have a day off.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Tired . . . but with the week I've had it's not unexpected. I also have fallen down a big old sugar hole lately - just looking for it alllllll the time. One day at a time . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    I miss eating food!! I'm taking the detox powder on an empty stomach - it's the first thing I have in the morning, even before a drink of water. Because I hate it, I'm often not having anything at all until after 9am. Then I have to wait until the slightly squirmy feeling has gone away - another couple of hours. Then it's time for the protein shake and vitamins. By the time I get all that done and digested it's damn near dinner time! It's making me very aware of how much of my eating is psychological.

The sun is out today - blossom is popping out on all the fruit trees except the plums. Yay!! Not too much longer until the warmth arrives . . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

I love springtime, there are more and more flowers around every day. My plum tree is definitely coming to life and I am hoping the apple will be next - right now it looks suspiciously like a dead stick.

You are doing so well with your detox, well done, and one day you will be able to fully enjoy your food again.

Jac
    Huh - our apple is in full blossom, the peach isn't far behind, and the plums are still looking like winter! They're damsons, so maybe they're just late. I think they were the last to come away last year. We have a couple of kowhais that look a bit like sticks - hopefully they'll come right.

I haven't had my powder yet this morning - I'm working up to it, lol. I worked out that as long as I can take it every day, I'll be finished on Saturday 21st Sept. That's 11 days counting today. Not that I'm obsessing about it or anything .

One thing I've been thinking about is the whole idea of toxicity and inflammation - and food intolerances. When I read Mark's post today about fibre and FODMAPS it reinforced it all - he said to give your body time to adjust to increased soluble fibre, but to eat it. In a healthy body, those horrible effects should be temporary. That's one thing this doctor has said to me that I struggled with - that I should be able to eat grains again once I'm healed, even though I have an intolerance to them right now. If my body is efficient at recognising and managing my environment, including food, then nothing short of actual poison should be able to make me ill. (That's probably overstating it, but I'm trying to make a point here )

So this is the argument for moderation! Take the poison in small doses and your body can cope. It's the explanation for oestrogen dominance and heavy metal toxicity - in the absence of actual high doses of these things, the problem isn't with the substance but with a body that has lost the ability to handle them. I guess it applies to things like grains, dairy and sugar too - but is it possible at my age and stage to actually heal enough that they could be in my diet in small amounts and not cause pain, bingeing, or more inflammation?? It'd be nice to not have to ask for lists of ingredients whenever I eat out. . .
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    I went to a really good workshop yesterday. It was supposed to be about leadership and becoming better at my job - but they had this amazing woman speaking who basically talked about how much fun she has at work, and how 'life's too short to work with assholes'. I loved it!! Then everyone got all intense about how they needed to structure their time, write lists, and prioritise their work. When it came time for me to say what I intended to do as a result of the workshop I laughed and said I was going to have fun. They all clapped . It's true, though - I wanted this job for more than a decade before I got it, and I love it. I don't need to force myself to get more productive, I need to wave off the institutional things that get in my way!

Only 9 more days of that detox drink to go. As long as I have it on an empty stomach the headache and nausea is minimal - in fact it might actually be improving.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast