Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 15

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    seaweed, your words of wisdom are right on target!

Interesting visit with the dr. I was a bit worried that the IBS flare had restarted the leaky gut, but it hasn't. Whew. I talked about my time off work - I'm off now until March 3rd - and although I do have some writing to do in that time, there is a huge opportunity here to get off the stress wheel I seem to be on. Focusing on weight loss is contributing to that, so I need to shift my attention to overall healing and feeling good.

There are parts of my healing that are just not happening - including play and exercise. These next months are a chance to change that and to explore a different way of living.

That ties in with a different way of eating, too. My protein levels are apparently too low to repair thyroid and adrenal function, and combined with the endo issues they are low enough that I just want to sit still and conserve energy. The supplements have been changed again, but I have to address my nutrition to get the most out of them. It feels wrong to me, but I have to try and take in optimal healing and weight loss levels, which means about 1.6g protein per kilo of body weight. That's 147g protein at my current weight. God almighty. Some days I struggle to reach 50g!! Now I need to do that 3x a day.

At present my lean body mass is 57kg (92kg, minus 40% fat weight calculated by the scales), so my absolute minimum protein intake a day should be around 90g. But that's enough to sustain life, not energy and healing.

That's a bit of an eye opener!! I've changed my template to include the new goals, and will add weight when I feel like weighing. I also have to absolutely cut the coke out. It's the caffeine more than anything else, so if I feel the need for something off-plan I'll make it diet ginger ale or red wine. I'll be relaxing any other 'rules' about my diet, as long as I avoid the sugar trap and meet the protein target.

Hunger: full after lunch
    Energy: OK
    Cravings: craving sweet in the afternoon
    Movement: just over an hour of heavy gardening in the morning, including battling with trying to start the lawnmower and weedeater
    Play: lovely bath with epsom salts and lavendar oil, reading for fun, no work at all
    Food: 10.30am protein shake (about 56g protein), apple, 2.45pm 3 sausages with a dipping sauce of tomato and capsicum salsa mixed with aoli (69g protein!), rotisserie chicken with coleslaw (didn't weigh the chicken)
    Protein intake: guessing about 155g
    Sleep: restless sleep, woke early. Tired in the afternoon
    Bloat: still there - probably because of all the crap I ate yesterday!!
    Pain: sore back from earlier activities, a bit of belly pain - neurofen to sleep
    Other: more activity today that I've done since the diet weakness really kicked in

Addit; so I spent a while figuring out what 50g protein looks like. The Hellers pork sausages are 23g each! Steak and chicken are both pretty right if I have about 200g, fish I'd need about 300g. A 3 egg omlet with about 50g cheese will also get me there. So it's not as dire as I thought. I'll just need to be prepared, and make the effort to eat regularly so I don't have to eat more than that to get the full amount in.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-15-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Hunger: really settled
    Energy: OK. Not energetic, but not apathetic either
    Cravings: none
    Movement: about 2 hours of heavy gardening in the morning, 10 pole squats (I tried the ball ones, but can't get down to even parallel without knee pain +++), 6 partial pull-ups (rings hanging down so I'm lying back at about 45deg and pulling up) - both of those left me with trembling muscles.
    Play: talking with DH, reading, watching movies
    Food: 10.30am protein shake (about 56g protein), 2.15pm 3 sausages with 2 eggs (95g protein!), 7pm home-made roast chicken, tomatoes, med kumara, butter (38g)
    Protein intake: 189g
    Sleep: 9 1/2 hours of really good sleep
    Bloat: still there
    Pain: some belly pain still. I don't have any digestive enzymes, so it could be because of the added protein. Or still resolving the flare.
    Other: I like this plan - it's more positive than anything else I've tried for a while. I'd love to get some strength back, and stamina would be a nice benefit, lol
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Jac I am so gonna have to read your journal from start to finish. It really sounds like you are on a winner.
    keep at it dear girl
    g x
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Jac that does indeed sound like an amazing day. Your food sounds excellent. How lovely for you to be on summer break and able to relax and look after yourself. I hope your health continues to improve.

Jac
    Thanks Annie and Gwamma. I'm hopeful that this will be the next piece in my healing puzzle!!

Hunger: really settled - not hungry at all
    Energy: bloody good!! I was doing ordinary things like moving chairs, doing dishes, walking around the shops (bought a heap of plants!) and felt like I was strong and energetic
    Movement: just some walking
    Play: we went to see The Butler, which was really good. Visited my DD, who got engaged to her lovely boyfriend about 2 days ago, walking around Mitre 10 looking at pots for the back door, raised garden beds, and vege plants
    Food: 10.30am 3 egg omlet with a saugage and some cheese (about 60g protein), 6.15pm chicken stir fry with 2 eggs (about 50g protein)
    Protein intake: 110g
    Sleep: 8 hours of really good sleep
    Bloat: reducing
    Pain: some belly pain still. I don't have any digestive enzymes, so it could be because of the added protein. Or still resolving the flare.
    Other: a bit of DOMS in the muscles along the outer area of my thighs extending into my butt. That could be the gardening or the squats - either way it's a good kind of sore
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Bugger, bugger, bugger!! I got the protein levels in the Heller's sausages wrong . . . AND they've got some nasties in them that are not listed on the package!! Well, not in writing that's big enough for me to read, anyway. So I'm still coming up short of the 150g goal most days. However, it's a start. I've also ordered some more of the metabolic cleanse protein powder so I can have a low-ish calorie shake for one meal.

Hunger: very little

Energy: good (not that I've done much today)
    Movement: a short time of working with the dogs
    Play: none. Too much internet.
    Food: 4 sausages and 2 eggs at 11.30 (64g protein), apple, protein shake at 3.30 (not much protein in it as I've run out of powder! about 25g), big serving of steak (3 palms = about 300g) and a tomato at 8.30, apple.
    Protein intake: 164
    Sleep: around 7 hours of restless sleep - I was hot, but don't know if it was the external temperature or if I just didn't drink enough yesterday. Dehydration definitely makes me sleep hot.
    Bloat: down
    Pain: a bit in my feet. Might be because I ate tomatoes - there's a lectin or nightshade thing going on, I think
    Other: Just out of interest I went onto a website called IIFYM (if it fits your macros) that focuses on weight loss. I entered in my details and got this for a low carb weight loss plan:
    CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day 101.2 161.9 63 40 - 51 1619
    GRAMS per meal 33.7 54 21 13 - 17 540
    That's probably more carbs and definitely more protein than my current goal. I'm not really sure what 63g of fat looks like in real life.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Hunger: not really any
    Energy: good!
    Movement: 14 ATG squats with pole, 13 reverse pullups. Couldn't have done any more - could barely walk after that, breathing heavily. Better than last time, though!
    Play: Hmmm - not really. I checked out for most of the evening. I did light the candles in the dining room to make it smell nice, but that's about it.
    Food: 11.15am 3 tins of fish (45g protein) - not my finest hour, lol, but I couldn't face another egg! Protein powder has run out, and I'm waiting for the next jar to arrive. apple. Rice cakes with almond butter or cheese - about 5 of them! Pork roast and 2 pieces of kumara
    Protein intake: I'm guessing I made it to about 100g, which isn't great.
    Sleep: I changed the blankets on the bed to lighter ones, and slept better for about 8h. But I had nightmares and I've woken up feeling sad and stressed.
    Bloat: it's back!! I tried some almond milk in my shake yesterday, but also I overate steak at dinner time. Feels awful.
    Pain: Got lots of work done - my focus is good today.
    Other: The plan is to have a yummy pork dinner tonight and fast for 24 hours til dinner tomorrow. I think lots of protein most days and a fast day is a doable option - given that I want to build muscle AND lose fat.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-19-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Hunger: woke up hungry, but coped with the fast just fine.
    Energy: great!
    Movement: a bit of walking - some DOMS in my arms and legs and back from yesterday, which feels good.
    Play: had my hair done (shorter and with blonde streaks) and went to a lunchtime movie on my own - loved it!! I saw It's About Time
    Food: fasting today, so will eat at dinner time. The challenge will be to not overeat. Had a coke zero at the movies, 6pm dinner - 200g steak, 1 sausage, big salad (including some cheese and cottage cheese) and a handful of cashew nuts
    Protein intake: probably about 40g
    Sleep: disturbed with dreams/nightmares. I reckon it'll be the increased tryptophan causing serotonin dreams. Hopefully they'll stop soon! Also, I'm going to bed too late.
    Bloat: still there. I've had some (previously undisclosed, lol) diet ginger ale which I think is contributing. Stopping that forthwith
    Pain: no pain in my feet. I'm wondering if it's actually the tomato that I've blamed all this time, or if it's egg. I have no idea why they hurt!! It's like all the tiny joints are being poked with needles, and they also ache. When I have a bath they burn. No eggs yesterday and no pain today. Hmmm - makes ya think!! I'll have lots of tomatoes tonight with my dinner and see what happens, but stay off the eggs.
    Other: Tony is driving me nuts at the moment. He gets an idea in his head and no matter what happens he can't/won't shift it. He's doing the eating programme with me, but eats a lot more fruit than I do. He's totally wedded to the scale, so is evaluating his success entirely by the numbers. He's actually now skinny-fat - most of him is skinny, but he has love handles and a bit of a pot. His answer to this is to keep eating as he is until he hits a magic number, at which point his belly will have magically vanished, and at that point he plans to do crunches (and ONLY crunches) until he's the shape he wants to be. I've tried suggesting that he do the PB bodyweight exercises to build up the major muscles, but he won't. I could leave him alone about it, except that he weighs every day and insists on telling me his plans. And if he's gained, he's a shitty mess for the rest of the day. Grrrr.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-19-2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Wow, I last posted here 9 days ago!! That was the day before we went to Napier to see the kids. Heaps has happened!! No template for this post - it's too long .

• Number 3 daughter got engaged. She's only 22, so I think it's too soon. However, he's lovely and they seem really good together, and she's very sure. I'm being supportive and trying to keep my nervousness to myself - although they both know that I have some misgivings. Anyway - she has a beautiful ring and they're planning a wedding in around 18 months I think.
    • Being away from home for 2 days last Friday and Saturday was a bit stressful. I did OK in the eating area, but I did drink some cider on Friday night and didn't sleep well. We all came home exhausted from the heat (I think it was 24deg overnight, in a small house and babies that woke everyone up just after 5am). I do love those babies, but dear god they're exhausting!
    • I left for a conference in Melbourne on Sunday morning. I actually did OK for most of the time - certainly not 100%, but perhaps 75%?? The catering for gluten free people included the most awful frankenfoods to be consistent with all the pastries and bread being served to everyone else. I had bacon and eggs at the hotel, then fruit for lunch. The first day I had one of the muffins because I was starving, but my body paid me back for it and I felt awful. The second day I fasted til lunchtime then went out and found some sushi. The third day was pretty good until I went out after the conference to celebrate and had a cider. It was lovely, but I think alcohol really disturbs my sleep patterns. I also ate dark chocolate while I was away, and noticed that whenever I have it my pulse races and I feel anxious. My other 'sin' was coke zero, every day.
    • I walked heaps every day - that really helped, I think. It was also good to feel energetic!!
    • I got home late Wednesday feeling pretty good, but tired. I ate an icecream on my way home. I was in the sugar pit, dammit!!
    • Yesterday I was in full on sugar cravings hell. It wasn't helped by being really tired, and having to go out at 11am. I was still on Melbourne time, so it felt early and I didn't manage to have breakfast before I left. I had a coffee with sugar (I don't usually drink coffee, but wanted the caffeine and was VERY focused on not having coke), and steak and chips for lunch. Then driving home feeling crappy I went to the supermarket. Still trying hard, but in that craving space where I just ached all over. I bought some dates, a diet lemonade, and some full fat sweetened yoghurt. I didn't eat all the dates, thank goodness. I also had about 1/4 of the lemonade and realised it tasted really nasty. Success there, I think. So I settled in front of the computer to try and catch up on some work, and I ate 500g of yoghurt. That was soooo much food, and soooo much sugar. I felt really sick and very guilty. So I buried the container at the bottom of the rubbish bin, and forced myself to eat a pork chop for dinner. Consequently I have had a very rough night with stomach pains. Serves me right.
    • On the good side, I've probably had enough fat to reduce the cravings today - and I'm not going out so I should be fine.
    • On the bad side, I'm totally exhausted. I'll start a new post for the day . . .
    Last edited by Jac; 11-28-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    My protein goals have taken a real hit. I'm back on task now, but have another full day out at an A & P show with the dogs tomorrow and another conference from Sunday evening until Wednesday evening. At least it's in Wellington, so no long flights, no time difference, and I know I can get good food. It's all about the protein and sleep for the next week.

Hunger: a bit hungry, but need to rest my gut, so it's fluids for the morning.

Energy: a bit low, but OK. I bathed the dogs, got some food ready for tomorrow
    Cravings: actually, now I think about it - none!!
    Movement: minimal
    Play: laughed at the dogs, read a novel
    Food: Apple around lunchtime, then a protein shake at 3.30. Chicken drums and veges for dinner.
    Protein intake: Probably around 80g - not great, but OK
    Sleep: terrible sleep last night, napped for an hour this afternoon.
    Bloat: not too bad
    Pain: a bit headachy, and mild tummy pain
    Other: I think I'm getting another dog
    . She looks a bit like the one below - I met her at the races yesterday. She's not competitive, and was so sweet and pretty . . . I've asked the kennel manager if she can bump her to the top of the list to come into the GAP programme, then I can foster her over the holidays to see if she'll fit with our other two.

Blue.jpg
    Last edited by Jac; 11-28-2013 at 08:25 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast