Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 14

Jac
    Jac is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Jac, have you ever tried peppermint oil capsules for the IBS? I used it to reduce bloating & gas for a little while. I took it 15-30 minutes before a meal. It can cause some peppermint-y heartburn or burps, but isn't unpleasant. I've read that it can be very helpful for reducing the spasms & pain.
    Thanks - yeah I'm the peppermint queen . Herbal tea, oil, in food . . . peppermint burps are weird - they feel cold .

I had a great sleep - could have done with a couple more hours, but I got almost 8 hours. The pain has faded quite a bit, but the bloating is still there big time. Another couple of days and I should be fine.

Yesterday I had rice crackers with almond butter for breakfast and lunch, plus an egg salad thing for lunch, and 300g of chicken with tomatoes for dinner. I was super full.

Today I'm skipping breakfast, having 200g rump steak with a bit of olive oil and a few tomatoes for lunch. I'm still not digesting well, but improving. I'm not sure if that'll be enough, but I'm scared of overloading my gut.

I'm off work next week, and am definitely going to join the gym. I live a fair way away from the Uni, so I'm picking one in the town closest to home - it's a Jetts franchise, so it's open 24/7 and there are gyms all over the country that I can go to. I thought I'd make an appointment to see a personal trainer. Seaweed, is it OK to start on the machines just until I get some basic strength?? Bear in mind that my arms ache when I hold up the hairdryer (and I have short hair, lol) and I struggle with squats and planks. I was thinking that a while on them would help with my form, and then I can move to the barbell type weights when I have a bit of a baseline to work from. Or should I just go straight for the kind of exercise everyone here talks about?? I want to go to the trainer with a plan - I have little faith in minimally trained 'experts' these days, especially ones who know how to work with metabolically deranged (love this term) women!!

I have a funeral to go to this afternoon - one of my work colleagues has just lost her partner. He was 59, and died of a heart attack on his way home from a squash game. So sad.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    they didnt really teach us much than by the book when i studied. i ended up with my client i got on my first year paper being female, almost 50, chronically overweight with sky high bp. my tutor used to get annoyed with me as i walked her instead of gyming her while i waited for the doctors note. he also had a go at me for not pushing her hard enough when i did my assesment. she was white as a sheet and didnt look well compared to how she normally looked and had told me she wasnt feeling well when i asked her. he was away taking a register at the time so missed that vital bit of info. it still may pay to get someone to do you a simple program as it will be a general full body and they should work all the muscle groups. anything that is hard to do, that you feel may injure you, refuse to do. i still refuse to do anything that hurts me in a bad way. being old LOL we can put our foot down and have a hissy fit and just say no! my trainer btw has been in the industry for prob 15 odd years. he has studied but just to get the bit of paper and he also has worked alot with people with injuries so we do lots of prehab and he also knows how to work around injuries.

i always avoid machines myself for the whole body movements like squats. i do use them for things like leg press and stiff arm push downs and i use cables. you got your swiss ball didnt you? i'd practise squatting with that till you get the form and then just do the bar till you are able to add weight. i wouldnt even stress how much weight you can or cant do. just do it and concentrate on form. you can use light dumbbells for alot of stuff. barbells generally weigh 20kgs but some are only 17kgs.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Jac, that is sad about your colleague's partner.

Machines - that is definitely what I did when I first began going to a gym. I was way too scared to try free lifting anything in case I would do it wrong. With the machines I felt I would be more likely doing it right. I suppose you can still do them wrong but a trainer will make sure your form is good. Also you can't drop them or anything.

Haha it brings back memories - I could hardly even walk down the stairs after my first session ever and that next few days were very painful as I could feel many many many muscles that I did not even know I had. And I was young then, so I would suggest taking things very easy at first But still do it, yeah, it is sooooo empowering.

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Machines - that is definitely what I did when I first began going to a gym. I was way too scared to try free lifting anything in case I would do it wrong. With the machines I felt I would be more likely doing it right. I suppose you can still do them wrong but a trainer will make sure your form is good. Also you can't drop them or anything.
    Yes this ^ . That sums up how I'm feeling. But I'm also looking forward to it - have filled out the online form, and now I'm waiting for an appointment.

This stupid IBS flare isn't settling at all. I'm still using pain relief, still bloated. Today I'm doing the thing I always used to do to sort it out - I'm eating nothing but white sushi rice for 24 hours (although it's cooked in coconut cream and water). It fills the bowel without inflaming it, which means that when the spasms arrive they have something to grip. The low carb approach has kept me pretty empty of bulk, which I think isn't helping (sorry - probably TMI!). I'll eat protein later tonight, and hopefully get back on track tomorrow.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    Gut is definitely healing .

I have a new template to try out - based on a metabolic management protocol and a couple of my own tweaks. I need to keep a good record of what I'm doing so I can pinpoint success and problems. The goal is to optimise hunger, energy and cravings while sleeping well and losing weight.

Hunger fine
    Energy actually pretty good!
    Cravings none
    Sleep disturbed with nightmares and hot
    Bloat some
    Pain decreasing but some in belly and feet
    Weight 91.1kg
    Food Lunch: 2 pork belly strips, small apple sauce (unsweetened), Dinner: 2 lamb neck chops (lamb my ass - it was mutton), broccoli, tomatoes, aoli (made with rice bran oil, but otherwise OK), an orange, peppermint tea and water
    Exercise none
    Other coke zero at the movies (Thor )
    Last edited by Jac; 11-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    It's only lunchtime, but I feel like posting, so I'll edit later.

Hunger: woke up hungry and have pretty much stayed that way

Energy: actually pretty good!
    Cravings: not really, just hungry
    Sleep: disturbed with belly pain, but OK.
    Bloat: some
    Pain: decreasing but some in belly and feet - belly seems to be around peristalsis, so hopefully that's getting back to normal
    Weight: 91.0kg
    Food: Breakfast: protein shake with blueberries, 2 eggs, powder, water, Lunch: 3 rice crackers with almond butter, apple. Dinner: 3 gf pork sausages, cherry tomatoes
    Exercise: some running during dog training
    Other: diaphragmatic breathing, feeling more relaxed

I was reading the other thread about a lack of protein fuelling hunger/cravings/overeating, and how some of the women here have managed their weight issues really successfully by frontloading with protein. It doesn't seem to work that way for me. I was hungry, and that protein shake had about 46g protein and I'm not satisfied. I guess that much protein in 'real food' would be better, but that powder has heaps of vitamins and minerals and was prescribed. I'm not really sure what to do!
    Last edited by Jac; 11-11-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    You know what's really depressing?? I think it's the supplements that are giving me the pain . The spasms etc got worse through the day yesterday, and I finally realised I was sore and not hungry. I took pain relief and the feeling went away. The only constant thing I've done since partway through the diet is the change in adrenal support supplements. I've stopped taking them for the moment and will see if that helps.

Hunger: woke up hungry, but it passed
    Energy: tired, but not exhausted
    Cravings: kind of wanted sugar around dinner time, but not strongly enough to really struggle with
    Sleep: heavy and long - don't feel rested
    Bloat: some
    Pain: took pain relief last night, not too bad this morning
    Weight: 91.8kg - 800g gain overnight, it's gotta be fluid!
    Food: Lunch: reheated white rice, coconut cream, blueberries. Apple. Dinner: chicken drumsticks with aoli, 2 rice crackers with almond butter
    Exercise: slow walk
    Other: I was 'checked out' last night, really tired and feeling miserable. I don't seem to be able to find a balanced place at all - I guess pain is contributing.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-12-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Wednesday

Hunger: kind of average

Energy: tired. If I wasn't marking, I'd have gone back to bed
    Cravings: I really wanted carb-dense food
    Sleep: Not too bad. A bit restless with stomach ache but I didn't take any pain relief.
    Bloat: there, dammit
    Pain: minimal
    Weight: 91.5kg - 300g loss
    Food: protein shake around 10.30, dates and a coke zero around 2pm, steak, tomatoes, broccoli, aoli, apple and some strawberries for dinner
    Exercise: none
    Other: doctor's appointment tomorrow. I'm nervous about it because I think he's getting impatient with me not progressing according to his schedule. The last email had an element of blaming me for it - I need to decide how to manage that. He could be right in some ways, like stress management, and I want to be open to the possibility that I can make more changes. BUT he can't pin all this on my mind.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-13-2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Hunger: I wasn't hungry, but I overate all day - just grazed.
    Energy: really low, feeling sad
    Cravings: decided to give in and have the carbs. Protein doesn't satiate me. I think fat does, but not sure. Carbs certainly don't - even if I'm not hungry I still keep wanting them. Question answered there.
    Sleep: restless sleep
    Bloat: still there
    Pain: minimal to none
    Weight: 91.7kg - 200g gain
    Food: 8am big bowl of rice and blueberries with coconut cream. 9am dates with almonds.
    Exercise: none
    Other: This is freaking ridiculous. I'm seeing the dr this afternoon, so will update later. I really felt stressed all day no reaal reason for it though.

JS Stanton has another post up - he's saying that even 10% sucrose intake in the presence of fat will result in weight gain. The more I read (from sensible, articulate science people), the more I'm realising that a period of VLC is the only way I'm going to lose weight.
    Last edited by Jac; 11-14-2013 at 01:02 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    how did the doc's visit go today? disclaimer here as i know nothing about IBS but there is something that looks interesting on the resistant starch thread about it. i dont know about having to go VLC to lose weight. both sides make very convincing arguements. i've also never really been much overweight. not at all by "healthy" standards, just my warped mind. all i can say is VLC resulted in slow incidious unstoppable weight gain and definite mental health issues for me. i also think you need energy to exercise to be healthy which is carbs. and that is like a baked potato or kumara with your dinner. or some fruit or some honey. not piles of cereal.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast