Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 12

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Also with supposedly 'good' adrenaline things - I went on all the Disney rides with the kids and can barely remember them. I never made a sound or said a thing apparently, even when they were all screaming their heads off. My main memory of it is a constant state of nausea.
    is there really good or bad adrenaline relating to the body? i would be like that too. nausea. i have no desire to disney ride at all. i also dont do adrenaline rush things for fun. what did your doc say you can do about fixing yourself to get rid of the reflex? i have worked out of recent that i have to eat sugar or some carbs when i get stressed to blunt the cortisol reaction. that alone was quite eye opening.

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    is there really good or bad adrenaline relating to the body? i would be like that too. nausea. i have no desire to disney ride at all. i also dont do adrenaline rush things for fun. what did your doc say you can do about fixing yourself to get rid of the reflex? i have worked out of recent that i have to eat sugar or some carbs when i get stressed to blunt the cortisol reaction. that alone was quite eye opening.
    He did that stretching thing. I did a quick google and found this Whole-Brain Living and Learning: Fear Paralysis Reflex and Baseball Performance - it looks like something chiropractors deal with all the time. The more I read about it, the more it explains a whole lot of childhood experiences as well as current adult things!!

It was the carb thing that sent me to the doctor again yesterday - I couldn't stay on the diet when my whole system was literally screaming for carbs! I knew I self medicated with them, and that without them I just couldn't stay mentally whole. I thought he'd tell me to let go of the diet actually, but instead I get all this new info and it's all making sooooo much sense.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

i always used to just think the carb eating was as i have no self discipline but i have huge amounts. so if i am not able to discipline something, it must be for some really deep down fundamental reason i reckon. this is defintely something to think about. i'm all for fixing the root of the problem as i can almost see the fact i do eat carbs when i am stressed and that i exercise lots is what has saved me from a fair bit of damage. i have always wondered too as apparently sugar and alcohol use the same pathways in the brain but i have no real desire to drink. i do have the odd ouzo but less vs more. we very definitely didnt inherit the alcoholic gene either. more the opiate gene which is back to dissociation. i will do my scarlett o'hara and think about it tomorrow!

Jac
    Heaps and heaps more relaxed . I'm sleeping better, and just generally feeling like I'm in my life instead of trying to escape it. I bought some raw prawns for lunch - note to self "get the shelled ones next time". Too much hard work getting that little bit of meat out! Major muscle use today, doing home reno. So much for 'don't do strenuous exercise' - I may not have a loss tomorrow because of the muscle fluid. So far, 3.5kg.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

Jac
    5 days since I posted last - I've lurked a bit, but in general have either been too busy or feeling crappy! I'm still losing on the diet as long as I don't get stressed. 2 days of "stress" = weight gain. Those 2 days have included being physically active to the point of exhaustion (painting the dining room), long drives for teaching and meetings, and high intensity mental work. I'm still sleeping well, the eating plan is very rigid so that doesn't change, the supplements are the same - so it's definitely stress!! There's some value in being able to pin that down.

When I get stressed, I get hungry. Some of this is cortisol related, I know. And some of it is psychological. I am now very clear that I use carbs (very effectively) to soothe. But I can stop beating myself up about it so much now that I also know that I gain weight even without eating extra food.

The doctor reckoned that this diet isn't stressful. I don't know what planet he's from, but how can changing everything you do with food from shopping, to cooking, to meal timing, quantity, content, taste, sociability (or lack of), insulin surges from the smell of other people's food, reducing activity levels - how can that NOT be stressful?? And he also said people tend to find that they're not hungry, feel euphoric, and enjoy extra energy. Not me.

After some ups and downs, this morning I weighed in at 92.8kg. I've committed to do the diet for at least 21 days, which would see me finishing it next Friday (Saturday, actually, since Tony is a day behind me and I said I'd finish on the same day he does so we don't drive the dieting one nuts with different foods). If I take it beyond then, it'll be because I'm losing and it's tolerable. But I really don't think I'll be going past that day. I'm starving!! I had hoped to get to below 90kg, but that seems very unlikely at this stage! 10 more days, counting today.

4.2kgs down so far.
    Last edited by Jac; 10-30-2013 at 05:21 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

4.2kgs down is pretty good progress. you should easy make the below 90 if you have 10 days to go. i have been wondering how you were getting on. it is huge step and the pieces in the puzzle you are finding out will all fall together soon. my head is still spinning with all that FPR related info and what to freaking well do about it. it all makes sense and it is poss at least one of the things i have done right in my life is self medication with exercise not alcohol and junk food. yet another thing i can inadvertantly thank my horrid exhubby for as he boozes and eats junk and it put me off LOL

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    one of the things i have done right in my life is self medication with exercise not alcohol and junk food. yet another thing i can inadvertantly thank my horrid exhubby for as he boozes and eats junk and it put me off LOL
    Whereas I used junk food - so now I need to try and rewire my brain to think that exercise is stress relief and not the intervention from hell

I've had well meaning people all my life say to 'just find some kind of exercise that's FUN!'. Well d'oh - if it was fun I'd already be doing it.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

i will tell you what i do. i walk at least 6ks a day. i used to, before i had the dog, just stick the mp3 player on and go. let my mind wander. 1+ hrs of being captured by aliens. the nefarious substances habit mentality all the way but healthily done. since i have had the dog tho, i have to pay attention which sometimes i think does me no good. you get to the stage where you crave that away from it allness. and since walking isnt exactly nasty. it is all good. i do see women running past me sometimes and men, and they look miserable. i am usually smiling and having fun. sometimes i have to go for at least 30 mins before i feel my head coming out above the water but it almost always does. i also go to the gym once a week. i love doing big weights. you do kinda get into it i think so it may take some practise. i do go train with a personal trainer and i adore him. he is the world's biggest sadist but funnily enuf, i have always been able to do what he tells me to. and at the end, i usually have achieved something. today for example, i did the whole lot, that is OH lunges with the 20kg plate, lunges with 2 x 21kg weights, OH single arm lunges with the 16kg dumbbell, farmer's walks with 2 x 32.5kg weights etc etc with a 10kg weight vest on. if he hadnt have been there, i would have given up prob on the first set of lunges LOL when i go to the gym, i try to do things that make me think as well as exercise. things like single arm OH lunges or squats for example vs the big power lifts, altho i do do some of them too. so yeah, i know it is easy to say find something you enjoy and it may take time to find but once you get into it, you will feel so much better. it also needs to be something you can do forever so marathon running and chronic cardio suck big time for that.

Jac
    OK, I get what you mean about the walking. I generally end up doing it with Tony and the dogs - there's not much stress relief in it, even though he's nice company and the dogs're good on the lead. I know (I mean, I REALLY know) that exercise is the next piece of the puzzle, and I have to deal with it.

I'm down 600g today, to 92.2. I had a really vivid dream last night that I ate 2 huge honey sandwiches on white chunky bread, and I suddenly realised there was gluten in the bread when I'd almost finished. Then I ate icecream, which I knew I would react to because of the gluten. Yes, I went to be hungry . I'm not so hungry today though - maybe it was all the food I ate overnight, lol.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    Down another 400g, but feeling overwhelmingly weak. I'm finding it almost impossible to believe that I'm not losing precious muscle mass doing this. I had a mini-meltdown and wanted to stop completely, but Tony suggested just doubling my protein for one meal to see what happens. So I've had 200g chicken for lunch and will see where that gets me. If it helps, I'll stay with the 100g for dinner and repeat the larger lunch tomorrow as well. To keep my commitment I only have to last through next Saturday - and it's probably worth it just to find out what's happening.

I could, I suppose, go back to the nurse who did all my initial measurements and get my muscle mass tested again on her scales - but are those things accurate at all?? I have no idea.

I read most of Grain Brain yesterday - the new book about prevention of alzheimers among other nasties - an interesting read, and confirming most of the paleo belief system. The neurosurgeon who wrote it is big on chronic cardio, though.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast