Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years

Threaded View

Thumbs up Jac's back - the next 10 years

I started primal over 2 years ago, looking for answers to low energy, low mood, IBS, and overweight. I've tried basic primal, and then variations including Robb Wolf's autoimmune paleo, low carb, very low carb, ketosis, GAPS, FODMAPS, intermittent fasting, increasing coconut oil, and the Perfect Health Diet. I've gained some measure of control over the IBS, and lost about 10kgs - which leaves me, 30 months later, with mood and energy issues, IBS, and still at least 20kg over-fat. Hmmmmm .

This morning I finally went to an integrated medical practitioner. These folk are rare as hen's teeth in NZ, and it's been a 4 month wait to get in. He took a very long history, and prior to my appointment he had done some bloods and urine testing. He also uses applied kinesiology. Oh my fucking god. He pulled together all the little random things that have plagued me since I was a kid - even to the point where he was predicting my answers to his more detailed questions (like spots in front of my eyes, and waking with anxiety at night). I FINALLY feel like I have a plan .

We talked about my adventures with primal, and the various things I've done that have helped. His perspective on that was that most things will help, but without a focus on healing the underlying factors then things will flare up again.

Findings:
    • absolute grain intolerance, including buckwheat. Rice is OK
    • leaky gut
    • candida

He thinks the grain intolerance is a lifelong issue that has led to the leaky gut - and therefore it has been a factor in my health from childhood. He ties it in to the candida, but also to thyroid and adrenal problems, high rT3, excess eostrogen (which led to endometriosis, for which I had a total hysterectomy 10 years ago), exercise intolerance r/t muscle pain and exhaustion, and the appearance of malnutrition.

He drew a picture that started with the ingestion of grains, moved to the development of leaky gut, and then had all these arrows that progressed through various stages and mostly ended up pointing to a box that said 'fat storage'.

I was diagnosed years ago with lactose intolerance (using the Roman scale - nothing more scientific than that), but this Dr reckons that I will find that once the gut starts to heal then I don't have that at all.

Right - I'm feeling validated and very hopeful, but I retain a small amount of healthy scepticism . Hence my new journal. This is my third one here! I want to track my progress.

The plan has several phases. The first one is to start supporting the gut to absorb protein so my cells actually get the nutrients I so carefully eat, while reducing inflammation and eliminating the candida. My diet is looking like a very clean primal diet with no fruit - that's something I'm familiar with, even though I've let the 80% move more to about 60% lately. So here it is:

• primal diet, no fruit or 'cheat' sweeteners like maple syrup or stevia
    • protein shake daily: rice and pea proteins and MCTs
    • trace minerals: zinc, potassium, selenium
    • parex: antifungal, antiparasitic, antimicrobial
    • omega 3: 4g/day
    • digestive enzymes: amylase, protease, lipase, tilactase, cellulase, bromelains

I go back in 10 days to see if there has been enough progress to add a thyroid support supplement - apparently there's no point doing it now as it wouldn't be absorbed. Then I'm back towards the end of August for another workup.

Currently I'm bloated in the gut, taking neurophen most days for pain, low mood, low energy, giving in to sugar cravings on a daily basis, dry lips, and puffy in the fingers, feet and face. Watch this space
    Last edited by Jac; 08-03-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here