Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Jac's back - the next 10 years page 10

Jac
    Jac is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I know from being in ketosis before that the hunger vanishes. Now that my thyroid and adrenals are getting more functional, I hopefully won't get the mood effect!! Also, this doctor (who I've decided to trust - for now) says that he gets amazing results and so do his colleagues. He said "It shouldn't work, and I don't understand it, but it does work". He's used it for the last few years, and has ongoing relationships with patients so he's seeing a longer term result. I'm scared out of my mind about it, but I'm doing it. I'll have a fairly low threshold for pulling the plug though - I'm not wrecking myself over it.

Re exercise, the recommendation is to walk alot and not do anything more that stresses the muscles during the diet phase because the emphasis is on protecting muscle mass for those weeks.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i thought you were supposed to use your muscles to protect them as if you use them, they realise they are needed and dont get catabolised? everyone says something different and often wildly opposing so the best way is to try and see. and if you do have a low threshold for pulling the pin, you will be fine. my issue btw has never been physical hunger more the desire to eat which is different.

Jac
    No, this low eating is really short term and there are no calories for repair. Normal day to day moving will protect current mass, but there's no capacity for repair and building. Plus it makes you hungry. I think it's all in the aim of doing one thing at a time. I'm reassured when I read that the people who are prescribing and supporting this are totally acknowledging that it's hard, it's intense, and it's very short term. The main focus is on holding the weight loss and repairing any metabolic damage for the same amount of time after the diet ends. I fully understand why anyone would think it's a bad idea - and in the past I did too. But I have medical and nursing support, family support, and you guys as well. AND the years and months of healing behind me, including the intense healing since July. I'm in the right space to do this, and I'm not fooling myself about it (I don't think ).

Yeah - the psychological need for food is something I'm worried about. However, I also know from previous ketosis that it feels really good. So maybe I'll get lots of writing done in the next 40 days!!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

"There's a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path" - Morpheus

if it's only 40 days, it will be doable as there is a goal and an end in sight. kinda like the way to eat an elephant is bite by bite. i'd definitely have a plan. i stress eat so i would need to work an angle there but i think having support is also huge as doing something like this on your own would be ambitious. you will find too that as it starts working, the easier it will get as you will be encouraged and inspired by your progress.

Jac
    100g of lean meat is not very much . I'm using leafy greens ad lib to make up a bit of bulk! I'm hungry today, and I know damn well I should have done a sugar detox while I could have stuffed myself on fat. Serves me right. Until this latest sugar binge (ye gods, it's lasted just over 6 months. 6 MONTHS!!) I had re-established my insulin sensitivity, but I think it's all gone to hell now. Never mind, this programme will get it sorted in a hurry . I figure it should have settled down by Monday.

Beautiful sunshine here today - yay!! It was chilly and wet this morning, so in my wisdom I decided to clean the oven. It's mostly done now, and I'm heading outside!
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Jac
    No sugar headache, no shakes or irritability, no lightheadness - all good so far!! I had a busy day, kept moving for most of it, then slept really well. Plus the All Blacks beat Oz last night .

I'm really focused on drinking lots of water and herbal teas - I suspect that's one of the keys to feeling good. Some weight loss today, but not worth getting excited about since it's usual to lose in the first few days. I'll save the excitement for if I'm still doing the programme and losing in a week.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Hello Jac, I have just found your journal and read the last few pages. I am cheering you on and hope you achieve all your goals. It is very interesting to read about your progress. Here's to healing!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

yeah 100g of lean meat is stuff all. i found that out when i was doing NK. like how could i live on that little protein. i think the trick is to keep busy and distracted and the days will pass in no time. doing good so far!

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Good luck Jac, the programme sounds tough but you have a great attitude, you can do it

Jac
    Quote Originally Posted by Siobhan View Post
    Hello Jac, I have just found your journal and read the last few pages. I am cheering you on and hope you achieve all your goals. It is very interesting to read about your progress. Here's to healing!
    Thanks so much!! I love reading your posts on the wider forum - I don't post much there, since I'm a long way from successful (so far) and don't have much to offer. Plus it gets scary out there sometimes, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by seaweed View Post
    yeah 100g of lean meat is stuff all. i found that out when i was doing NK. like how could i live on that little protein. i think the trick is to keep busy and distracted and the days will pass in no time. doing good so far!
    Yep, this. I'm also feeling really fidgety, so it's easier than usual to keep moving. The kitchen is mostly organised, and pretty clean. One benefit to this diet is that the oven and stovetop stay really clean, and the spashback is shiny! Today I'm trapped at my desk, so that'll be different . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Good luck Jac, the programme sounds tough but you have a great attitude, you can do it
    Thanks Annie! I read your journal, but don't post much at the moment. Loved the visual of you on the motorbike in a dress though. It feels like freedom!

Day 4 today, and 2kg down. I refuse to get excited about it, and can't quite figure out the point at which I decide that this is successful. Not yet. I'm a bit shaky today, and had a really bad night with griping abdo pains. Not surprising, since I'm eating fodmaps that I've avoided for the last year or so. I'm taking digestive enzymes, so will increase them a bit and see if that helps. I've also switched out the greens for some tomatoes with my lunch - I've never had problems with them.

I did some more reading and asking about why I should do this diet to get fast results instead of the slow and steady way. The doctor had said that I need to lose fat in order to come out of oestrogen dominance, and that the oestrogen dominance is contributing significantly to the hypothyroid. I found this explanation:

Fat cells produce extra estrogen, then the excess estrogen signals your body to store more fat cells. This exchange often creates a vicious cycle of estrogen imbalance and weight gain around the midsection. . . . Because excess fat cells produce extra estrogen, losing belly fat will release the excess estrogen, resulting in a more hormone-balanced body.

The mechanism by which estrogen causes weight gain is through inhibiting thyroid function. In a normal-weight woman, estrogen and thyroid hormone play off of each other in an intricate balance. Yet when a woman becomes overweight, her estrogen levels drive her thyroid function relentlessly downward. With impaired thyroid function, a woman can feel sluggish and fatigued, and therefore expend less energy, and also subconsciously down-regulate her metabolism such that her body is burning less and less fuel to get by and she is not even aware of it.

So, if I'm going to heal my thyroid to the next level, I have to lose a decent number of fat cells. I suppose there's a balance point there somewhere, so that when I hit that point I will recover thyroid function and the ability to internally regulate everything including oestrogen. The point of losing them fast seems to be that it'll be really hard any time, and there's more psychological reward if it's in short and intense bursts of effort.

Last night I dreamed about chicken casserole with a pastry top, mashed potatoes, sweet corn, and steamed apricot pudding. This is especially bizarre because I don't have any desire for any of these things! If I was really craving carbs, it should have been chocolate or kumara on my plate

One more point - the only time I was actually hungry yesterday was the couple of hours after I'd walked through the supermarket. I wanted batteries and salad greens, but had to go through the bakery section and was offered a sample piece of hot crumpet. Not something I would normally have eaten, but obviously there was an insulin response. Good to remember this - the hunger passed.
    Started Feb 18 2011

Journalling here

Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast