Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable amount of nuts per day page

Nethru is offline Member

Acceptable amount of nuts per day

Primal Fuel
    What would be considered an acceptable amount of nuts to eat in a day without over doing it, if you can even over do it with nuts. I'm trying to limit my Fruit intake due to the amount of Carbs in them. I'm guessing probably 1 cup max so I don't overdo the carbs but wanted to get some feedback.

Thanks.

It depends on your current omega 3 and 6 ratio. Many nuts are high in Omega 6 and its really all about balance. If you are currently at a low ratio, then you could afford a serving a day (1/4 cup). Even with good ratio's I would not go much more than a few serviings a day...
    Last edited by kansascitysteve; 05-28-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: sentence correction...

Nethru is offline Member
    Thanks!

BeachGrok is offline Member
    Everyone is different but as a rule of thumb, I generally limit my consumption to an ounce or two a day.

Using my kitchen scale, I have determined that a handful is about an ounce.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    I remember after a 36 hour fast i ate a whole can of cashews @_@
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Grol is offline Senior Member
    They're a weakness. I've replaced my sweet tooth and my chip munching with nuts. I IF until dinner and after dinner I munch on nuts, way too many nuts.
    Last edited by Grol; 05-29-2010 at 08:36 PM.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    hahaha, nuts over chips ANY DAY!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

PrimalBabe is offline Junior Member
    A couple days ago I ate 4 ounces of pistashios. Doesn't sound like a real biggie but one ounce is 49 nuts, so 4 ounces is nearly 200 nuts!! It didn't affect my weight at all but I wasn't hungry for a long time after that!

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    I'm a huge fan of cashews. That being said, I don't keep too much of 'em around. The problem with nuts is that they are traditionally a seasonal food and quite difficult to eat large quantities of (each nut comes in a difficult-to-crack shell). Hence, we humans didn't start eating large quantities of them year-round until recently. The main problem with nuts is, as noted by others, the large amounts of omega-6 fats. That being said, if you have ditched most of the processed foods, with their high amounts of processed vegetable oils, a handful of nuts every now and then isn't going to kill you.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I agree with the others about the amounts. As long as you are not binging you are probably fine. Although I've read in several places that if you are really attempting to lose some fat weight that nuts should be pretty limited or removed for a while... same goes for many fruits.

I kinda treat most fruits and nuts the same - I eat them both all the time, daily in fact, but in moderation - a banana is great but eating a whole ream of em is a heck of a lot of calories, carbs, and sugars all at once and is probably a bad idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast