Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternative to Monster Energy Drinks page

ziok is offline Member

Alternative to Monster Energy Drinks

Shop Now
    Hello all!

This is my first forum post and although I have scoured information attempting to answer this question on my own I am left to this to get some other opinions.

As was stated in a few previous posts by Mark: Monster Energy Drink = Bad. Lack of sleep =Bad.

I am considering replacing Monster Energy Drink with Starbucks Via Iced Coffee. (the instant coffee packets)

A bit about my situation:

I work as a Paramedic for a busy 911 service. I am on shift 24 hours as a standard with some occurrences of 48 hour shifts where I may get a total of 2-3 hours of "horrible" sleep being kept awake by radio traffic from other units. Normally, my average is 3-4 hours with 1 night every 4 shifts where I get none at all.

My go to for years has been Monster (sometimes consuming 2-3 in around 8 hours) this, with a power bar of some kind, was my go-to for late night calls and lack of sleep.

Now I have mostly transitioned to Primal and I absolutely no longer eat wheat. (had a horrible reaction quite suddenly resulting in a Grok sprint towards this newer lifestyle ) As well as have eliminated most other SAD style foods. But Monster has remained and I will not be changing jobs anytime soon. I recently went through a rough week where Monster was my savior and kept me from wrecking the truck or stabbing myself with needle but I felt horrible from the amount of sugar I consumed and have searched for something not so bad for me but will still work for the purpose of keeping me awake!!

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Mexican Cola is far less evil

blondiegreen is offline Senior Member
    Kombucha?
    Can you make your own iced coffee?
    Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
    34yrs old, 5'5"
    CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
    GW: 135lbs or less
    Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

lemontwisst is offline Senior Member
    If I'm not mistaken, 20+ grams of each 28 gram Via Iced Coffee packet is sugar, so if the sugar in the Monster made you feel terrible, so might the Via. That said, the regular, unflavoured varieties of Via don't have sugar as far as I know. They can be mixed up fairly easily, cold or hot, but I'd add the ice after mixing.

JackieM is offline Junior Member
    Could you take a caffeine pill? I used to take them. I bought ones that weren't encapsulated so I could cut them in half. They are carried in the drug section of any store and you can get 100 200mg tablets for $6.00 to $10.00 depending on brand and store. They tend to be kept in different places based on where you are, but common areas are by Excederin, sleeping pills (ha), and natural products such as energy bars. It's definitely not a natural solution or ideal to be relying on caffeine, but at least you could get the caffeine without the sugar. Also D-Ribose is an energy booster. It helps your cells convert ATP (energy for all cells) at a more rapid rate. It definitely won't make up for not having a nights sleep, but it could help.
    Last edited by JackieM; 07-23-2013 at 05:28 PM. Reason: adding info

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    You can also buy caffeine in bulk through Amazon.

ziok is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, 20+ grams of each 28 gram Via Iced Coffee packet is sugar, so if the sugar in the Monster made you feel terrible, so might the Via. That said, the regular, unflavoured varieties of Via don't have sugar as far as I know. They can be mixed up fairly easily, cold or hot, but I'd add the ice after mixing.
    I believe you are correct with the unflavored varieties hence why they came to mind as I sought a caffeine source sans sugar! This would a simple solution I feel that I can mix up at the random drop of a 2am call...

Bishop is offline Senior Member
    The effective ingredients in monster are the guarana and b12. I find I can get a similar effect to monster with a mega b12 dose. It has to be the good kind though. Not that cyano stuff.

ziok is offline Member
    I could take a caffeine pill but I guess its a strange mental thing for me to actually take pill considering I am use to drinking an elixir of chemicals and sugar... lol. I will look up on perhaps taking the caffeine pill and also the D-ribose seems promising considering it helps cells to covert ATP quicker. Good info.

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    Red Bull is ok, besides the citrate, the MSG and the questionable source of b vitamins. D-glucurolactone enhances mental performance, and taurine is similar to GABA. IIRC it has less questionable things in it than the other energy drinks.
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast