Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get off the meds get back the muscle. page

freekd is offline Junior Member

Get off the meds get back the muscle.

Primal Fuel
    Let me introduce myself. My name is Dave. I live in NJ/USA. I am a cancer surviver 6 years out. I have been trying different diets for most of the past six years. Some with ok results some with horrible results some good short term bad long term. For the last 2-2.5 years I have been moving more and more toward a diet that closely resembles. Primal/PHD recent changes making it very heavy on fish. First change was getting rid of wheat, and wow what a great change that was! Made a big change in both of my two biggest heath problems.

Major issue number 1: P.O.T.S (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome)
    never heard of it? Me either until I got it. here is a link if you interested Pots: An Overview

The main best way to relive POTS symptoms and maybe cure it is to be in good/great cardio and good amount of muscle. I had both things for a large part of my life so until cancer and many months of mostly bed rest. I did not know I had it. There were lots of hints but no long term problems that society considered abnormal. Cancer/ and months of bed rest is a good way to get POTS (not that its likely at all) in the first place. Its a great way to kick it from mostly dormant to raging and life threatening. Here is the truly unfair part. POTS is like chronic fatigue, Plus should you have the energy to get out of bed and over do it with stress any stress including exercise you land up right back in bed getting even worse than you were before. Learning to fix my diet, meditate, and the truly big one for me... Never overdo anything. I alway thought doing your best ment balls to the wall effort, and I was bound and determined to do my best at saying F#@k cancer by being the next "Lance Armstrong". Epic Fail resulting in many many weeks of forced bed rest gaining over 100lbs and thinking some diet changes that were good for me were having zero effect. Learning to go slow and easy and listen, listen, listen, to my body. Can't stress the importance of listening to my/your body enough!!! It's what gave me the strenght to quit wheat and never look back, and then make more changes knowing that my body would tell me if there were good or bad. Often with a quickness .

Major health issue number 2. Major spine and nerve damage/ Tramadol

I was often active before cancer. I was even a NYC bike messenger for a few months. So I had some minor to moderate nerve damage from sports, biking, ouch who put that there? kind of injuries. One of the tumors crushed my spine almost an inch and did a number on the two bottom vertebrae of my spine. The doc says he does not really get why I am not in a wheelchair and not so very very happily married The effect of the spinal damage is like having permanent sciatica. I have managed to survive, stay sane, and even make huge improvements with the help of tramadol and some herbal remedies. In fact I am at the point where the tramadol is causing more issues than the back pain.

So here we go. My goals are to convert about 15-20 pounds of fat to muscle and gain another 10-30 pounds of muscle. I have been blessed/cursed with a mesomorphic body so this would be no real challenge if I was in good health. Currently it's one hell of a challenge.

Last nights just got home I am starving snack.
    IMG_0083.jpg cherries and goat milk kefir.

Dinner and part of todays lunch.

IMG_0082.jpgIMG_0084.jpgIMG_0086.jpg
    Fish, sweet potatoes, peppers onions mushrooms

Last snack of the day around 9pm 1/2 cup coconut milk 1/2 cup unsweetened hemp milk 1 tsp honey. 5 small cherry almond cookies (almond flour, honey, cherries)

sorry I could not load anymore images for some reason and I am not finding a way to remove that last bad photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I did not sleep great last night. Got up like three times pee. Its a problem I have had in the past of and on but not for a while. I did not feel like doing any kind of workout this morning or even meditation so I caught up on some of my TV watching. I have never done this before but it felt right today. Plus since I stopped watching TV at night I watch my shows is spurts during the day on the very odd day I am in the mood.

I did a fasting morning yesterday with just some coffee coconut milk and a tsp of honey. In the morning. Today that was not doing it so I also had a nectarine a little more coconut cream. Funny I was disappointed in my lack of will for having the nectarine but when I wrote it down it felt dumb to be disappointed over eating a nectarine. This Journaling stuff may have a point

Breakfast/ fasting snack: Coffee with coconut milk/cream(full fat) Nectarine with 1/4 cup coconut milk.

I need every last calorie I would have gotten from eating a full breakfast so I make a massive lunch to take to work and eat it in two or three parts.

Lunch
    2 egg yolks and 3 whole eggs plus 1/2 ounce of goat feta
    6 oz fish
    more than half of a huge yam
    peppers onions mushrooms and a little kimche. All but the eggs and the kimche are leftovers from last night.

I did not do much walking today. Its just to hot. I might have to hit the gym <<<booo for cardio if this keeps up.

Dinner
    Bone broth, spinach, nitrate free Italian sausage I had in the freezer, a little Feta and some white rice that had been cooked in bone broth. All chopped up and made into a stew. From now on to be called dog tired stew.

last snack coco hemp/coconut milk and homemade almond cookies

It was way better than I thought it would be. I felt like crap after walking the dogs. Not sure exactly why but I am very low energy and weak tonight.
    Last edited by freekd; 07-24-2013 at 08:06 AM.

Got good sleep last night and I feel so much better today! Had a great morning workout moderate intensity. The theme music for this morning's workout was Pandora: Don't Let Me Down,Beatles"radio". Nice little station I need to play it more. Good music lead to some booty shaking and when I turned around to see what my cat thought of my dancing this is what I saw. I going to choose to believe that she fainted in awe of my great moves

IMG_0094.jpg

Breakfast: siping on a bottle of goat milk kefir and I ate a peach.

Lunch:
    Had some "Dog tired stew" from last night around 12
    Went to lunch and ate a lamb kebab with lemon potatoes and a salad. about 1:45

Dinner:
    Beef ribs boiled in water with balsamic and rice vinegar then baked with bbq sauce. boiled beets with sheep feta, and spinach.

Was still hungry after. I think there was too much sugar in the bbq sauce. I am going to have to learn to make my own.
    Last edited by freekd; 07-25-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Poked my head outside and glory be it was cool out. slipped on my fivefingers and went for a hike in the woods. OMG have i missed this! But it has caused me to question some off my beliefs about what are the best seasons for me to get outdoor exercise and fun. I made huge huge gains in the late winter and early spring this year because for my body right now cool weather is better for exercise. I need to listen adjust and adapt to this fact.

Breakfast:
    After the wonderful hike there was no thought of doing an extended fast of any kind. lol FEED ME! anyway...
    9:30am 4 eggs with spinach and feta cheese chi with hemp and coconut milk.

11:00 peach
    11:30 the little left from my "dog tired stew" just a snack
    12:12 starting to sip on the kefir. ok chug the kefir, its gone
    1:30 double espresso with half and half << minor and short runny nose from the half and half but I am so use to my full fat coconut milk coffees that I just could not get myself to do almond milk.
    4:00 Went out and got a salmon and mixed greens salad with salmon roe. My Fav!!! I know it has to have some bad things in it so I eat it less now, but it beats the crap out of most of what I can order near my job. My sinuses are less than happy but not bad. There was I time not long ago where I would have not even noticed the bad effects of eating what I used to think of the was the most healthy thing I ate. Guess I am going to have to learn how to recreate it. But then I might OD on salmon.

7:00 Another walk more than hike in the woods this time with my dogs. About an hour.

8:30 Fish, Yams, peas, beats ate a good amount of the vegies.
    Last edited by freekd; 07-25-2013 at 06:43 PM.

Pinot-Girl is offline Senior Member
    Hey
    Wanted to say HI!
    So pleased to hear you getting your health back - there are other cancer survivors on here who may help with their experiences. What I can relate to however is your pain / medication dependance. I have permanent sciatica, and was dependent on codeine for about 10 years when I made some changes. Diet being one of them. Giving up wheat was the best thing I did. I still suffer from nerve pain, but the arthritic pain that I had compounding it has gone!!!
    Keep up the good work!!
    PG!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot-Girl View Post
    Hey
    Wanted to say HI!
    So pleased to hear you getting your health back - there are other cancer survivors on here who may help with their experiences. What I can relate to however is your pain / medication dependance. I have permanent sciatica, and was dependent on codeine for about 10 years when I made some changes. Diet being one of them. Giving up wheat was the best thing I did. I still suffer from nerve pain, but the arthritic pain that I had compounding it has gone!!!
    Keep up the good work!!
    PG!
    Great to hear about your success with your meds. I have some idea of the strength it must take and you are awesome! Gave up wheat about 2.5 years ago was one of the smartest things I ever did! The reduction of pain, the instant loss of 20lbs, the extra energy not to be able to run around but to just heal still has me in awe that there is a warning label on tobacco but not wheat! Right back at you with keeping up the good work!
    Last edited by freekd; 07-25-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Paleobird Guest
    Hi Dave,

In addition to having done battle with cancer, I also have epilepsy but I have been having some great results in being able to lower the doses of my meds. 25% down and counting. I'm doing this through maintaining nutritional ketosis on a more or less permanent basis.
    My personal theory is that ketosis makes your body more efficient at processing everything you take in be it food or meds so you just don't need as much of either.

My best wishes to you.

BTW, your cat is adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    Hi Dave,

In addition to having done battle with cancer, I also have epilepsy but I have been having some great results in being able to lower the doses of my meds. 25% down and counting. I'm doing this through maintaining nutritional ketosis on a more or less permanent basis.
    My personal theory is that ketosis makes your body more efficient at processing everything you take in be it food or meds so you just don't need as much of either.

My best wishes to you.

BTW, your cat is adorable.
    I think you might be right about the ketosis. As I started getting closer and closer to the PHD( though I had never heard of it at this time) I started naturally to want breakfast less and less often I had not thought of it this way but in the same time period I cut my meds wow like 70-80% I just have the tramadol left and that is at just a bit more than half of what is was before. I have to be careful to listen to my body though like today after my hike and eat when I am really hungry. True hunger is stress and because of the POTS stress must be avoided. I also triggered quite a few bad POTS episodes because I forgot that any large amount of stress can trigger one. Even the stress of getting of meds you don't need anymore if done too quickly. That being said I drive from NJ to NY 5 days a week

The cats name is Shanti. lol nice thought but she is so not the kitty of peace. More like the kitty of ambush. But she is a sweetheart and a cutie.
    Last edited by freekd; 07-25-2013 at 02:25 PM.

PrimalCon New York
    Did not get the best sleep last night. Woke up around 4:30 with night sweats. Its an on going problem but getting better. Whatever causes the night sweats must use a lot of energy because I am always tired the next day. I have my biweekly Kung Fu training tomorrow so I am going have to make today as restful and low stress a day as I can. Before I was sick I would never have said you can make any gains at anything doing it only twice a month but I do get better at every class, and my morning workouts started at only 3-5 min of simple stretches. Not that they are huge now but less than a year later I can do 30-45 min of a yoga like workout and I have even made it through an hour long yoga class just to see if I could. People at work are calling my fit and in good shape now I guess what I am trying to tell myself more than anyone else is to relax and rest when your body is telling you to rest and to work out and have fun when your body is telling you thats ok, and that that is doing your best. Ha! writing this is good for me. It make me deal with how mad I get at my body and at the same time make me see how useless that is.

Breakfast: Coco coffee, went out for breakfast with my wife. I had Norwegian eggs benedict on a potato cake.

We drove into the city together today. Ate out for lunch and dinner. I had a seared tuna salad for lunch. some pate salad and potatoes and salad for a snack.

Dinner: Dinner with friends at Print resturant: I dont remeber the appatiser I had. But I do remember the duck with blueberry sauce was fantastic! the whole day was primal friendly but I did not feel great. Eating out is becoming less and less fun.
    Last edited by freekd; 07-29-2013 at 11:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast