Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nut Butter Dilemma page

Adam is offline Junior Member

Nut Butter Dilemma

Shop Now
    Hello everybody. This is my first week living primal (so far so good, carb flu sucks though) and my first post as well. I just wanted to get some thoughts on a little dilemma I'm facing.

In trying to incorporate various sources of healthy fats into my diet I've found that nut butter, for me, is extremely beneficial and convenient. I've been using mostly some almond butter that I had in the fridge previously, and found that after eating primal the rest of it went pretty quick. This is a concern for me because the cheapest natural almond butter I can find locally is nearly eight dollars a jar. I would love to be able to buy it by the case but my income level isn't that high and the budget is tight. Having only about 100 dollar grocery budget per week for a family of four, eight dollars a jar just isn't reasonable. (I'm not complaining, we get by pretty good, just can't afford too many extras)

Anyway, I've always previously been a fan of the Naturally More brand peanut butter. I know that peanuts are legumes and not really primal approved, but this brand is natural and they fortify their product with flaxseeds and flaxseed oil, boosting the Omega 3 content to almost 3 times the amount of Omega 6's, which is a great ratio. Not to mention this fortified peanut butter is much more within my price range. There is another catch, however. Among the ingredients wheat bran is listed, yet the carb count is no higher than other natural peanut butters, which leads me to believe that a serving or two couldn't possibly have much more than trace amounts of wheat.

I suppose I can always try it and see how I feel. I never really had problems with it before, so I don't think I have any wheat or legume allergies per se, but I have only been primal for about a week now...

Thoughts?

-Adam

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    You could try making your own nut butter. If you have a bulk food store near you you can find the almonds cheap, and maybe even the almond butter.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Sorry but that peanut butter must be crap. Flax seed oil is not good at all, and it's probably rancid. Nuts in general are not a good source of fat (this is my opinion) due to their high PUFA content. I would get my fats from animal sources instead.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    If you're going to eat it, make your own - I'd stay far away from that 'natural' peanut butter. That said, I wouldn't make even homemade almond butter a major part of my diet.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! Glad to have you here!

I was in the same boat about two years ago, loving peanut butter and trying to reconcile the much higher cost of nut butter, and on my journey of changing the way I eat, peanut butter was one of he last things that I was able to give up. I haven't had any in close to a year I guess. I don't think peanut butter is that bad for you, but there are definitely better choices. If it helps you not eat things that are worse, then it's good for now. Eventually, you should probably try to focus on meat and produce instead. Also, you can make coconut butter pretty cheaply; Just put some unsweetened dried coconut into your food processor and keep running it until you have created a creamy consistency: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2...oconut-butter/

If you have more questions, don't be afraid to ask. Most people around here are nice and pretty knowledgeable. Keep on Grokin'
    Last edited by yodiewan; 05-28-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Annika is offline Senior Member
    I still love peanut butter, and eat it a few times a week. I tried replacing it with sunflower butter and almond butter, but I didn't much care for either one. I know it's not the best thing to eat, but it's not the worst thing either. Better than eating muffins for a snack!
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

dacec is offline Senior Member
    I love peanut butter too, but only a couple times a week. I view it as an indulgence, not a staple.

I make my own and it is incredibly easy....Google it. All you need is a food processor, nuts and sea salt ( I add a touch of raw honey)

Annika is offline Senior Member
    What kind of peanuts do you use? Raw?
    My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE naturally more! I don't even care. I eat it! And if you can find a Whole Foods near you/other natural foods stores, a lot of time they'll have a 'nut butter grinder' full of JUST almonds. Like, you see the almonds, you push the button, and it comes out like frozen yogurt. It's great, and cheap. Usually organic.

mayness is offline Senior Member
    This article about flax by Mark explains that the type of omega-3s in flax aren't as effective as the type in fish etc., so you might not get as much benefit from that fortified peanut butter as you think. It sounds like one of the better choices as far as peanut butter goes (since you don't have any wheat sensitivity), but I still don't think it's a good idea to eat it very often.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast