Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does it all add up? page 2

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the replies all good stuff. I used to stress a lot about this stuff but not anymore I'm pretty relaxed. I am striving for good quality, just trying to balance that financially too. Oh and I read the spice label and eg, "100% rosemary" may contain gluten cereals, tree nuts etc." I'm guessing it is mass produced on a belt with other things, is this bad? Also, with fresh herbs how do you make them dried and fine like the containers? I want to have my own in the garden but not sure how to go about it?

paleodutch is offline Senior Member
    You can grow lots of herbs in a pot on your window sill, garden or balcony.
    You can dry them in the microwave, don't dry to long or they will burn. Easier is to freeze them fresh in icecubes

steven.kelly is online now Senior Member
    I'm feeling inspired now. I've been a bit slack the last few months, basically I've hardly done a workout, I've eaten well but just small things like getting enough sleep and buying low quality things and rushing my cooking. But I've decided that everything I buy from now will be high quality / additive free and I'm going to increase my food budget for this, build a garden of vegetables and spices and herbs and just to have health at the front of my mind. I'm still better then the average person but I want to be better cause there is room for improvement.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post
    Thanks for the replies all good stuff. I used to stress a lot about this stuff but not anymore I'm pretty relaxed. I am striving for good quality, just trying to balance that financially too. Oh and I read the spice label and eg, "100% rosemary" may contain gluten cereals, tree nuts etc." I'm guessing it is mass produced on a belt with other things, is this bad? Also, with fresh herbs how do you make them dried and fine like the containers? I want to have my own in the garden but not sure how to go about it?
    Those spices sound okay. I went to buy pepper once. The box was red and white and the label said "pure black pepper". It was several dollars cheaper than the McCormick brand with the red and white label that also says "pure black pepper". So I started looking at the fine print on the back and the cheaper one had pepper as one ingredient in a long list along with sugar and some other things and additives. This made me really mad because it's NOT "pure" black pepper at all. Good thing I had my reading glasses with me.

It's easy to dry herbs in a food dehydrator. I have a cheap Ronco food dehydrator. You can find these often in thrift stores and garage sales or online. You can dry the herbs over night and they'll be so crispy they'll pulverize easily in your hand. But I think it's better to just buy the good dried herbs in the jars and if you grow your own herbs, use them fresh.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12