Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to begin and don't know where to start! page

stellaewing is offline Junior Member

Question About to begin and don't know where to start!

I will eliminate grains and legumes asap. Is that enough for starters? Where can I find some simple beginner meals. Also I'm having trouble with the calculators. height 5'6" weight 183 61 year old female sedentary
    I'm coming up with a BMI of 29.53 and BMR of 1,478. Can't figure out my total daily calorie expenditure...I'm coming up with 3,244 which CAN'T be right. I think I have 129 lbs of lean body mass which translates to 90 grams of average daily protein. Can't figure out the rest! Can any one help?

Huarache Gal is offline Senior Member
    Start with Basal Metabolic Rate. This is how many calories you use each day.

Yours equates to 1474. Then do the Harris Benedict equation, which is how active you are. Since you said you are sedentary, you multiply 1474 by 1.2. So your daily calories would be around 1768 calories per day.

Harris Benedict Equation

Protein is usually about 0.7 to 1.2 grams per kilogram of weight. I know others will have other numbers, but this isn't a bad average. So lets say 1 gram for you would be 83 grams.

Also, check here:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

Welcome to the site!

lemontwisst is online now Senior Member
    Go to the Mark's Daily Apple website and click on the 'Start Here' tab and start reading...and reading...and reading. Reading the Primal Blueprint is recommended too.

Somewhere in all the info on the site you will find lists of primal foods as well as meal ideas. There's a huge recipe section. Dropping grains and legumes is a solid start, but don't forget about refined sugars and crappy seed/veg oils.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lemontwisst View Post
    Go to the Mark's Daily Apple website and click on the 'Start Here' tab and start reading...and reading...and reading. Reading the Primal Blueprint is recommended too.

Somewhere in all the info on the site you will find lists of primal foods as well as meal ideas. There's a huge recipe section. Dropping grains and legumes is a solid start, but don't forget about refined sugars and crappy seed/veg oils.
    This : Sugar, grains, birdseed oils, and legumes. Drop these first. Give your body a little while to adjust to that. Then start thinking about Harris Benedict equations and BMRs. Clean out first, then rebuild.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Step 1: Get off the forums quickly.
    Step 2: Read the Book!
    Step 3: Follow the Book!
    Step 4: Be healthy.

Paleobird Guest
    This is about the best one page breakdown of basic Paleo principles I have ever read:

“Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey”: The Paleo Diet In Six Easy Steps, A Motivational Guide - GNOLLS.ORG

oceangrl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    This is about the best one page breakdown of basic Paleo principles I have ever read:

“Eat Like A Predator, Not Like Prey”: The Paleo Diet In Six Easy Steps, A Motivational Guide - GNOLLS.ORG
    This is so awsome!! Keeping it on hand for the curious.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Yeah, that one is reaaaally good.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Along with the grains and legumes you should also ditch sugars and seed oils.

A good place to start is to base every meal round a decent serve of protein - eg eggs for breakfast, chicken or tuna at lunch, and a steak for dinner. Then add some green and other colourful veges eg spinach and mushrooms with your eggs, lettuce and tomato with your salad, broccoli and kumara/pumpkin/carrot with your steak. Or fried onions, yum.

The balance can be made up of wholesome fats - butter, olive oil, dripping or coconut oil. You need some but not too much while you are losing weight. Herbs and spices for flavour.

I think of it as mix and matching. Treats (limited during weight loss) would be fruit, nuts, some dark chocolate.

Good luck.

fillyone is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by stellaewing View Post
    I will eliminate grains and legumes asap. Is that enough for starters? Where can I find some simple beginner meals. Also I'm having trouble with the calculators. height 5'6" weight 183 61 year old female sedentary
    I'm coming up with a BMI of 29.53 and BMR of 1,478. Can't figure out my total daily calorie expenditure...I'm coming up with 3,244 which CAN'T be right. I think I have 129 lbs of lean body mass which translates to 90 grams of average daily protein. Can't figure out the rest! Can any one help?
    5' 5" 52 year old female was 190 and sedentary
    Primal start 01/03/13
    Eliminated sugars, grains, legumes and any food that came prepared from the grocery store. (Food bank got a huge donation!)
    By Feb I was looking for some kind of exercise to do because I was feeling so much better.
    Settled on CrossFit
    Down 2 pant sizes (almost 3 now)
    Definite difference in my torso
    Weight this morning 168
    I have never counted a calorie!!
    I eat when hungry and don't when not

Good luck to you, I feel amazing since changing what I put in my mouth!!!
    Barb - Portland, Oregon

"Everything is as it should be given what has gone before. This is not an excuse but it is a reason"
    ~ Dr G & Barb ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast