Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast linked to 'healthy heart' page

Greenbeast is offline Senior Member

Breakfast linked to 'healthy heart'

Shop Now
    BBC News - Breakfast linked to 'healthy heart'

Er, maybe those who skip breakfast (and eat a typical SAD) then gorge themselves on utter crap when they do eat.
    I call bullshit on this, are they relying on people being honest about food intake?
    Would people admit a breakfast of donuts, or just deny it entirely?

bseismic is offline Junior Member
    I saw this on NPR's website as well... Wow. I was just shaking my head. Mark?

Why Skipping Breakfast Might Raise Risk Of Heart Disease : The Salt : NPR

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Years back I recall reading about a study where they (researchers funded by cereal manufacturers) tried to gauge the healthfulness of a breakfast of cereal. They compared it with all others grouped together. So people eating eggs, bacon, potatoes, toast, and fruit were lumped together with people who get up too late to eat breakfast and are going to eat a doughnut later, pizza for lunch, and potato chips for supper. That makes so much sense. Not.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

jakejoh10 is offline Senior Member
    I made a post in another thread about this, but I might as well post the same thing here.

Here's a similar application of the results of this study: most professional athletes have nice cars, therefore to become a professional athlete, you must buy a nice car.

Correction does not equal causation, and this study sucks. ^Great rebuttal in the link above as well.
    My nutrition/fitness/critical thinking blog:

joapple is offline Member
    Very awesome rebuttal! I am so sick of crappy "research".

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Maybe the breakfast eaters are eating oats.

gomezera is offline Junior Member
    Very awesome rebuttal! I am so sick of crappy "research". thank you

StephenHLi is offline Senior Member
    NPR should have focused their reporting on this:

"Men who skipped breakfast had a 27% higher risk of CHD compared with men who did not (relative risk, 1.27; 95% confidence interval, 1.06–1.53). Compared with men who did not eat late at night, those who ate late at night had a 55% higher CHD risk (relative risk, 1.55; 95% confidence interval, 1.05–2.29)"

How much you wager those who ate late at night didn't feel hungry the next morning and skipped their morning breakfast?

Where is that study?

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    People I know who eat large meals at night do so mainly because they allow themselves to be too busy and "stressed" during the day to eat, especially at breakfast, and have fallen in love with the Gordon Gekko-esque "lunch is for wimps" mentality.

The other type of person I know who eats a lot at night is mainly women who are trying to diet via calorie counting and "save" their calories for night-time, in hopes of feeling full and satisfied before bed, and when the high-carb/low fat food they've chosen fails to do that, and their willpower is depleted from a day of battling their own bodies, they tend to binge on biscuits (cookies) and other crud.

There may be other reasons but this is the selection based on real people I know well enough in offline life to know about the way they eat.

Choosing to make time to eat breakfast usually says something about that person prioritising nutrition over busy-work, so they probably eat less outright processed crap, no matter what their views on issues like saturated fat and wholegrains etc may be. Just my observations there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast