Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Doctor's Journey Back Home....a day in the life of a very happy guy. page 3

mike is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hi Laz - Here are some randoms thoughts -

You want to take charge of the health of a randomly selected set of individuals when they'll never listen to your advice anyway? If doctors aren't paid per surgery, won't that encourage them to perform less surgeries? We see that now, with doctors not prescribing tests or procedures because the insurance company will kick them out if they prescribe too many.

Here in Spain there is a public health system and MDs are not highly paid. They get paid the same whether they prescribe a pill or a one hour walk. The style of treatment is basically the same as in the US. People show up in their office sick, and they prescribe pills etc to treat whatever problem the person came to the doctor for.

Doctors treat symptoms because thats why people go to doctors. People don't go to doctors and ask, 'Doc, what do I need to do to live a long healthy life?' In the US the gov't does make food and exercise recommendations to its citizens but few people listen. I'll bet the the health of the country as a whole would be much better if everyone actually followed the food pyramid and other recommendations that are being made for them. But no one pays attention to that stuff. Everyone wants their super sized slurpee.

Removing farm subsidies will raise food prices at the supermarket. Most people make food choices based on price and they shop at the stores with the cheapest prices. There is strong pressure to keep food prices as low as possible.

that is all for now. Grok on.
    Mike

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    [
    In my time on forums and in-person discussions over the years, I have repeatedly heard one derivation or another of the following refrain:

“Doctors don’t even talk about nutrition and know nothing about it. That is why we listen to other people to get our dieting advice. To add to this, they are full of standard-issue conventional wisdom on nutrition, and are stuck in their ways about counseling it.”

The above sentiment is both painfully true and amazingly naïve, at the same time….but it reveals one of our biggest tendencies as a culture: picking one or two groups to scapegoat our larger societal problems on, all in order to create useful public villains and divert responsibility away from the actual power brokers in any given area.
    Laz, thanks for posting and for your discussion. I would just like to chime in and say that though I have heard statements like this a lot also, and even experienced such from my doctor, thankfully it is not always the case.

Just last week my friend received solid advice from her family GP to eat protein, greens and fat at every meal. (I have told her something similar before and I'm sure others have also). Anyway, she tried it and it's working for her. Yay for her and yay for her doctor and any others like yourself who know how to give good instruction in nutrition to people when they are ready to hear it.

sidewinder is offline Member
    It's great to read a perspective from a member of the medical community. I can't wait to read more!

TheyCallMeLazarus is offline Senior Member
    THE ANIMAL MOTHER OF ALL ROUTINES
    Start date Sept 10, 2013. Test Dates: January 1, 2014 through January 8.

So, I have decided that I am going to shake things up again. I never stay with an exact routine for more than about 6 months, so this I my new one. The big stuff never changes (Big 4 lifts, for example), but the methodology does. I am writing this partially for myself, so put it all down, but also for others to track my results.

Every objective needs a few common things: 1) A mission 2) Clearly defined goals, with benchmarks of success to meet exactly 3) Methodology 4) An exit strategy

1) The Mission
    In short, to be in the best shape of my life and overall be a beast. I define a "beast" with meeting a few criteria:
    A) Being lean, no more than 10%BF. Doesn't matter what your 1RM is if you look like a ball of cookie dough.
    B) Being healthy. All blood panel numbers must improve.
    C) Strength. Increases on all major lifts.
    D) Speed, vertical jump. Explosive power, running speed are critical.
    E) Endurance. Nothing else matters if you don't have this in any sport or practical setting.

2) The Goals
    A) Leanness: Goal is to be no more than 8%BF, down from a current 10.5% per water immersion test. Less, for example shooting for 6.5%, will sacrifice the other goals unduly, especially the strength gains. Cutting 2% in 4 months is a different matter than cutting 4%.

B) Health: Goal Hba1c is below 4.9%, down from current 5.3% from my normal summer fruit binges. HDL goal is 100, up from 95
    This will be the easiest one.

C) Strength: Goals on benchmarks lifts as follows, 1RM
    Bench: 300lbs, up from current 290. This has been a goal of mine for 5 years, to one day bench 300#.
    Squat: 430lbs, up from current 405. This will be very difficult, as this has stagnated for over a year.
    Mil Press: 135lbs, up from current 120.
    Weighted Pull-up: (Not a chin) 80lbs, up from current 70.
    C&J: 225, up from current 205. My shoulders are a mess though from years of football, so this one may fall to injury.

D) Speed, explosive power.
    Vertical jump: Goal is 33 inches, up from 30....as a reference, Darrell Revis, likely the cornerback in the NFL, did a 38 inch.
    40 meters: Want to run my 21yo college football best again, at 4.47. I may fail, but I will try like hell. Last measured was over a year ago, a 4.55 This will be tested last, as I need to go to the university to do it with their blocks and laser timer.

E) Endurance
    1 mile run: Goal is to run in under 5:20, only ten seconds faster than current. 30 mile ruck walk along long trail must still be completed in one day, to be done the weekend of Jan 4.

3) Methodology
    Diet: I will be weight and speed training 4 days a week, doing endurance work, long and slow the other 2 days. Sundays will consist of football watching and zero exercise past normal home upkeep. I have organized my weight days into 4 WOD's, to be done on a rotation. On weight training days, I will eat a lot, as clean as possible. I tend to eat a lot of rice and beans though to keep cals up on these days, with protein being around 200g. No sugar, no PUFA, ever.....fasting on workout days will be from 9pm until noon the following day (15 hours), and from 9pm until 5pm (20 hours) on endurance LISS days.

Most meals will consist of game meats, as the venison and rabbit that will be the bulk of the autumn diet is still out in a field somewhere as I write this I will supplement white rice, pinto beans to refill glycogen for the workout days. Endurance days will be lower carb, likely around 50g, but I never count anything.

Workouts: Unless otherwise noted, all weights will be done reverse pyramid style, 3 sets. First set will be 1-3 reps, then 6-8 for 2 after
    WOD #1
    Strength: Bench, Tricep ring dips w kettleball hanging, decline pushup with weight on back
    Speed: 330lb Prowler sled, 25 yards, 5 trips
    Conditioning: 320lb Farmer's Walk of 25 yards, 10 burpees x 7 cycles

WOD #2
    Strength: Weighted Pull-up, Squat (high bar)
    Speed: 100y sprint, EMOM for 9 minutes
    Conditioning: Weighted glute-ham raises, 2 pood (72lbs) KB swings. 10 x 7 cycles

WOD #3
    Strength: Pendlay Row, Military Press, Deadlift (DL will sub for Pendlays every 2 weeks. They are a fine wine, to be enjoyed)
    Speed: 40y sprints x 7, 20y x5 (burst work), 100y x 2 to finish
    Conditioning: Tabata row, 20 sec hard, rest 10s, 8 total rounds

WOD #4
    Agility day
    Ring muscle ups, cage crossers (laterally crossing the pull-up cage), weight vest box jumps, HSPU, swimming intervals to end

Off-days: Usually a lot of hiking, and I will likely throw in a 36hr fast with a Mt Mansfield climb on the end of it. Haven't found anything better to get rid of fat yet I will be not lifting on my off-days from work (I work 4 12 hour shifts a week), so ALL of my housework will be on those days. I live off-grid with a woodstove for heat, so that will be a lot of wood chopping!

Exit Strategy
    After testing during the week in January I will post everything here, as well as hopefully consistent updates throughout. I will be putting up some photos of before and after soon.

Once this is done, 2 weeks off....just some easy body-weight stuff, lots of hiking, skiing by then. I will buy myself a big cheesecake too

Love it. Or change it. Off to the gym for WOD#2!
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Good luck, Laz. You will have the hiking and skiing of your life after that lot.

A roughly one-month update:

A) Leanness: Last measure was done last week, down to 9.2%. All I want is another point, so I can pump the brakes a little from my masochistic calorie killing lately. I can see the veins on my stomach now though, which is a cool indicator for me.

B) Health: No blood testing yet.

C) Strength: Goals on benchmarks lifts as follows, 1RM
    Bench: FINALLY benched 300 last Monday, with the SO recording it and everything. Took me 5 years, but I added 100lbs to that lift.
    Squat: 410lbs, up from previous 405. Pretty weak sauce here....I have come to the conclusion that I can build strength on a slow cut everywhere else, but only a true bulk gives me squat increases I am hoping to surge on this next month though, when I will be hitting the food a little harder after lifting.
    Mil Press: 135lbs, up from current 120.
    Weighted Pull-up: 75lbs yesterday, up from 70lbs, did it for 2 strict reps.
    C&J: Already accomplished this @ 225#, doing 255!!!! last week. I for sure didn't power clean it, but a squat clean should still count.

D) Speed, explosive power.
    Vertical jump: Not tested yet. Been doing a lot of vest jumps though, so I am expecting progress next week when I do.
    40 meter: Still no improvement, but haven't done it really rested and limber yet. More work must be put in first....

E) Endurance
    1 mile run: 5:13, done last Friday after a 12 hour shift.

All in all, I have been amazed at the progress in everything but my squats....I did a lifting comp last weekend for charity and did a 255lb C&J. I have decided I want to CJ 300 within 6 months.

The downside of course has been how time consuming it is. I spend about 60-90 min a day, 4X a week lifting....add in the hunting season, chopping, etc, and by Sunday I am a mess. I am taking today off, giving 2 whole days of nothing, all due to the 30 miles or so of walking I did over the weekend hunting. Still sore. More updates to come.
    "They now look to a single and splendid government of an aristocracy, founded on banking institutions, and moneyed incorporations under the guise and cloak of their favored branches of manufactures, commerce and navigation, riding and ruling over the plundered ploughman and beggared yeomanry." - Thomas Jefferson, 1826

moluv is offline Senior Member

One Doctor's Journey Back Home....a day in the life of a very happy guy.

When can I expect these before and after pics you mention?

Your workouts sound amazing to watch... Decline weighted push-ups! Wowz.
    Last edited by moluv; 10-21-2013 at 03:17 PM.

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    You are living the life! If I could figure out a way to live just hunting or fishing all day...my dream!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacy15 View Post
    You are living the life! If I could figure out a way to live just hunting or fishing all day...my dream!
    I wish I could figure a way to do that too.....I actually work about 45-50 hours a week though. I am a physician with irregular hours, and my home is a 40 minute drive from my practice. I only make the drive 4 days a week though, and my gym is in the town where I work. This means it is usually a 12 hour work day, then 90 min in the gym right after. No other way.

Still leaves 3 days to have a little more fun though

Stacy15 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheyCallMeLazarus View Post
    I wish I could figure a way to do that too.....I actually work about 45-50 hours a week though. I am a physician with irregular hours, and my home is a 40 minute drive from my practice. I only make the drive 4 days a week though, and my gym is in the town where I work. This means it is usually a 12 hour work day, then 90 min in the gym right after. No other way.

Still leaves 3 days to have a little more fun though
    What I meant by saying 'you live the life' was that you seem to live a very 'primal' life, which is awesome! Not implying you just hunt all day and don't work - that's what I want to do I only get 2 days a week to try fit it in, and it's not nearly enough!

You have a great story about moving back home to the wilderness, doing what makes you happy. Can't wait until I'm able to do the same.

And I might be bugging you from rabbit recipes ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast