Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal ala hbeck page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hbeck View Post
    Wow that got longer than expected, but I'm excited!! And, my wife is awesome. That is all.
    I am so happy for you. While you may be miserable in your current situation, you have the support of your partner in making whatever changes necessary to improve your life.

While I hate to play the $ card, I'll just advise this......money is important. So follow your passion while being meticulously disciplined. We just don't know what the future holds. I didn't know we'd be - and I'd have said there's NO WAY we'd ever be spending $25K for one child to attend school but we are...plus $16K for the other one. And they're in4 4th and 6th next year Life holds the unexpected and that can mean things we simply can't comprehend before getting there.

Wishing all the best with this important decision.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

hbeck is offline Senior Member
    Money...yeah...well, I know we will be fine regardless, but there's always the question of how much savings, how much towards retirement, how much extra for random things or fun stuff. Fortunately we are free of any debt other than a home mortgage and a car payment, of which the car will be paid off by the time the baby is due. We'll have to get another car at that point (I currently have a motorcycle or we car pool). It's odd, maybe, but I think I would rather work more hours or harder doing something fulfilling and enjoyable to make the same income that I have now with a - usually - pretty standard 40 hrs a week at a desk...just that I'm stressed-out and finding no pleasure in at this point.

On to today...

Food!
    Breakfast:
    Protein shake with blueberries. I slept in late, so it was a quick 'n easy thing.

Lunch:
    Pot-luck type thing with people. Had caesar salad, some chicken, a couple meatballs, and sweet potato fries.

Dinner:
    Leftover sirloin, eggplant, and asparagus plus a salad (romaine, tomato, cucumber - just something simple to get more green stuff). And more cherries.

Totals:
    2212 Calories
    119.9g Fat (48% of cals)
    183.2g Protein (32%)
    110.3g Carbs (20%)

Activity!
    We took our 3 dogs down to the park with a neighbor and their 3 dogs. I ran around alternating between chasing the dogs and them chasing me while the others hung out under the tree in the shade

Other stuff!
    Allergies flared up after getting home from the park, not really a surprise (playing in the grass with dogs) but still annoying. Chomped 1000mg vitamin C before dinner, about to go get some more.

Browsing iHerb and VitaminShoppe for C and D supps. Still trying to figure whether I need (more) Potassium or Magnesium than I'm getting in diet.

Posting for the past two days' slack

5/31 Food Totals:
    2152 Calories
    113.6g Fat (47% of cals)
    123.6g Pro (23%)
    161.2g Carb (30%)

Carb-heavy day...peach, apple, broccoli (approx 2.5 cups chopped), BAS with romaine/tomato/cucumber/green bell pepper, ...and half of a 1lb bag of mini carrots

6/1 Food Totals:
    1007 Calories
    72.6g Fat (67% of cals)
    37g Pro (15%)
    43.6g Carb (18%)

Did a team workout on Monday - 4 people doing 300 pull-ups, then 400 push-ups, then 500 sit-ups, then 600 squats, in order - only 2 working at a time. Tuesday I had planned to go to CrossFit but ended up being in line to apply to college to start almost immediately for the summer semester. Talked to the boss this morning, still waiting to work out the details there...but I put it in motion!

Eep.

Today's stuff...

Food!
    Breakfast:
    Protein shake with coconut milk and blueberries

Lunch:
    Crappy taco salad from the cafeteria at work. Lettuce, taco meat, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, salsa, and ranch dressing

Pre-Workout:
    Fruit binge. *sigh* Banana, apple + almond butter, blueberry butter ball, 6 cherries

Dinner:
    6 slices of bacon (cooked in coconut oil), 1.5 cups broccoli (cooked in oil + bacon fat), 4 eggs scrambled (in what was left). Also munched a few strawberries that I noticed were getting close to spoiling

Totals:
    2440 Calories
    159.6g Fat (57% of cals)
    141.6g Pro (22%)
    131g Carb (21%)

Activity!
    WOD:
    - warm up plus 400m run
    21-15-9 of:
    Dumbbell shoulder press (instead of handstand push-ups) 25lbs each hand
    Ring dips
    Push-ups

Ended up doing less ring dips (15-12-9) but made it through most of it without scaling on them.
    20:17

Other Stuff!
    Awaiting with some trepidation what I'm going to have to do in the next two weeks to make leaving work without burning bridges and also starting summer semester classes happen. Oh, and I am SORE from Monday's team workout, holy crap. That plus today...foam roller here I come!

Didn't track food yesterday as I was busy dealing with stuff at work and issues with registration for classes starting next week. Stress! All better now, at least.

Yesterday's WOD:
    - warm-up plus wall squats (bodyweight squat with toes/knees against wall to make you work on proper form!)
    Back Squat 1-1-1. Find 1RM and then do 3 sets of 1 rep. Ended up at 90kg (~15kg more than I weigh)
    30-20-10 reps for time of:
    Deadlift (50% of max) 58kg
    Knees-to-elbows (strict, no kip or swing. Hang on bar and bring knees up to elbows)

10:28. Slower than I wanted but I made damn sure I was getting to my elbows on every rep which made it take a bit longer.

Today's WOD:
    Weighted pull-ups (1-1-1). Finding max weight.
    For time:
    10 muscle-ups (progressions for me)
    15 handstand push-ups (using bands to scale)
    20 cleans
    400m run

Will update with time tonight.

Other Stuff!
    Today is last day at my job! I might be crazy for doing this now (baby incoming) but I'm not really one for half measures. I jumped into CrossFit and Paleo/Primal eating and haven't looked back - and I'm better for it. Looking at the path forward, I will be working hard with school plus getting part time work to fill the gaps in $$$, but I really don't see any serious negatives coming out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by hbeck View Post
    Didn't track food yesterday as I was busy dealing with stuff at work and issues with registration for classes starting next week. Stress! All better now, at least..........I will be working hard with school plus getting part time work to fill the gaps in $$$, but I really don't see any serious negatives coming out of this.
    *hugs hbeck* Way to go. Make it happen now. Wishing you all the very best.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I've been enjoying your journal - your sense of humor and enthusiasm are awesome!

Hubby and I are new to DFW area but are really liking it. Maybe we will see you in passing at the Farmer's Market (McKinney, not Dallas )

Lastly, congrats on the baby - you're in for a wild ride!

Quote Originally Posted by Puddymama View Post
    Maybe we will see you in passing at the Farmer's Market (McKinney, not Dallas )
    My mom lives in Plano....the kids and/or I visit often.

K

@Puddymama - Thanks on all accounts! Haven't been up to the McKinney market yet, but I may check it out sometime! Do they have a good source of meat there? I've found that our closest local market (Rockwall) doesn't have anything but eggs. Another one nearby (Firewheel mall) sometimes has a farm that has a small selection but they're a little pricey. Dallas market is really worth the trip!

@K - yay for Plano!

Sounds like there's an opportunity for a NE-Dallas MDA gathering at some point

WOD time yesterday: 13:12

Today's WOD:
    In teams of 2, complete 5 rounds for time of:
    30 Burpee Box Jumps
    50 Kettlebell Swings (35 / 26 lb)

Yesterday's Food:
    Didn't enter into the site, but I mostly remember what I ate.
    B: An Orange
    L: MooYah iceburger (no bun, lettuce "bun") w/ onion, tomato, pickle, mushroom, bacon
    post-WO: a few cherries, plus protein shake w/ kiwi! and coconut milk
    D: half vension, half beef (grass fed) burger patty w/ raw cheese, tomato, onion, lettuce. Plus grilled asparagus. 1/2 cup of blueberries for dessert.

Off to today's workout, back later!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Today's WOD time: 20:38

Turned out we (me and the partner) did a slightly scaled-down version so only 20 BBJ and 40 KB swings per round. Started on a 24" box but while I have crazy hops (yay basketball) we ended up moving down to a 20" box for most of the sets. I did my last round on the 24" to finish strong...also picked up a few of the burpee box jumps in the middle sets to help out, so I'm feeling rather awesome

And away again, it's a sunny day so I'm going to go enjoy it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast