Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digestibility of Fats page

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member

Digestibility of Fats

Shop Now
    Ive been wondering for quite a while why certain fats sit well with me, while other fats make me queasy. (And, no, this isnt just because Im pregnant, though that has made the queasiness worse. I've been like this my whole life). The odd thing is, these are all healthy fats that Im dealing with.

I can consume, happily and without stomach upset, a whole cup of cream cheese. Yum! Yet, the grease off of an applegate, organic, grassfed hotdog makes queasy (not to mention grease off a pizza back when I ate those). The same occurs with oil from sausage. Even the oil that forms on top of my chicken soup makes me queasy.

To complicate matters, if I put too much butter in my soup, that also makes me queasy. But, I can smother my rice or rice pasta with butter and have no digestion problems.

Is it the heating of the fat that makes it less digestible? If so, why? Or, is it the mixture of carbs with fats that makes it more or less digestible? Does anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i don't cope well with the oil slick either; i don't produce quite enough pancreatic enzymes to break up a lot of fat.
    hot, loose grease causes me the biggest problem so i remove it by blotting the surface with a paper towel. the fat on top of soups and stews i remove by running an ice cube over the surface and the fat sticks to it-you can also skim it with a spoon.
    you might try the same - that greasy feeling in my mouth from loose hot oil makes me queasy -probably from the amount of times i was sick from this!
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Aldergirl is offline Senior Member
    So, it's my pancreas that isn't able to handle it? Why does the pancreas have a harder time with the hot loose grease, versus fats in, say, cream cheese?

I've always removed my grease, too. I'd actually poke holes in my hot dogs or sausages, wrap them in paper towels, and then squeeze as much grease out as I could. I didn't know about the ice cube trick, though! I'll have to try that next time! Last time I had soup, I skimmed off the layer of fat with a spoon and put it in Knifegill's bowl... but that was annoying and took a while. The ice cube trick seems a lot easier! Thanks!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Carbs & fat digest better for me than fat that is too "solo". Sometimes, even eggs & bacon will make me queasy!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

the icecube is easier!
    i have a diagnosed pancreatic problem and was given enzymes to take but its easier to avoid the main triggers.
    most people only think of the pancreas in regards to insulin but it also produces the enzymes Lipase (breaks down fat molecules),Protease (break down proteins)and Amylase(breaks down carbohydrates).
    as you get older the pancreas can get less efficient.as it was explained to me- in your stomach the churning along with bile from the liver and the enzymes create an emulsion from the food you've eaten- hot loose grease kind of floats on the surface of this, like an oil slick and doesn't get mixed into the emulsion properly. if your pancreas isnt a great lipase producer it can struggle and the grease isnt properly broken down before it moves further along the gut.
    it can cause,wind, cramps, mild diarhoea and odd stools- bitty ones!
    you can buy pancreatic enzymes over the counter if it ever gets to be overly irritating- partial mild insufficiency is a fairly common problem
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-23-2013 at 08:06 AM.
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'

loafingcactus is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you can't take fats and water. Water forces the fats to the top of your stomach where they splash back into the esophagus. This can be manipulated to make people feel full with less calories, but it also feels icky.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data. W. Edwards Deming
    Blogging at http://loafingcactus.com

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    This is an interesting thread that answers some questions to problems I have too! I definitely have issues with fats, but types and quantities give me varying reactions. Animal fats and coconut/palm oil are the most difficult for me. Peanut butter that has palm oil in it gives me heartburn shortly after. So many avenues to explore. Thanks, carbdodger. Good thread topic, Aldergirl. I'm now deeper in the rabbit hole of digestion.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by loafingcactus View Post
    Sounds like you can't take fats and water. Water forces the fats to the top of your stomach where they splash back into the esophagus. This can be manipulated to make people feel full with less calories, but it also feels icky.
    That's very interesting!! did not know this but it makes perfect sense.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

it was a worry for me when i was contemplating this WOE - i was low fat for many years but i still had a problem with low fat and ordinary margarine. its actually no worse on primal. i just avoid loose grease and don't drink anything cold when i eat hot fattier foods
    Last edited by CarbDodger; 07-23-2013 at 09:56 AM.

Paleobird Guest
    PrimalCon New York
    Aldergirl, another aspect of what you are describing may have to do with what animal the fat comes from. Are your hotdogs and sausages pork based?

I don't do well with poultry fat either unless it is rendered.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast